Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my beast out for the first time since purchased as a wreck last winter.
The car is stuck in first gear, the speedometer doesn't work, and the abs, brake, and eps lights are on. Any thoughts out there? If it were just a bad abs controller, I would expect the transmission would shift and the speedo would work no matter what lights were on.
Must be some common link to everything.
Codes on my scan tool are U0121 and U1120. Probably bad ABS module but the tranny not shifting has me stumped.
Thanks for any help folks.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
how would you get it out of "limp mode" if it is

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hope to find out something this morning.
Limp mode is supposed to be second gear but it feels like it's in 1st.
If it were a speed sensor, it's hard to imagine it would cripple the car like that.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
how would you get it out of "limp mode" if it is
Repair the fault, or replace the sensor(s) that are flagging a fault. It's a protective feature, therefore you can't just circumnavigate it.....

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
I thought someone got it to reset by pulling a fuse. I must be wrong.

You could do a search for limp mode and see what threads show up.
Yes you can temporarily get around it - but if there is a real fault - it'll just happen again and if it were to happen again on the fast lane of a highway......

These systems flag issues for a reason - get the car to a dealers and see if they can't find out what caused the car to go into 'limp home' mode, or what has jammed the tranny. (not aimed at you red....) :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yes you can temporarily get around it - but if there is a real fault - it'll just happen again and if it were to happen again on the fast lane of a highway......

These systems flag issues for a reason - get the car to a dealers and see if they can't find out what caused the car to go into 'limp home' mode, or what has jammed the tranny. (not aimed at you red....) :)
I have no idea what you mean.

If my car ever went into limp mode, it would be at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
I have no idea what you mean.

If my car ever went into limp mode, it would be at the dealer.
Same here buddy! I wouldn't be on a forum asking for advice - that's fer sure. Straight to the guys with the diagnostics tools! :)

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I think a bad speed sensor is the culprit.
I agree with Crow (OMG! heh). Sure sounds like a speed sensor, which is internal on our transmission.

Best,

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I agree with Crow (OMG! heh). Sure sounds like a speed sensor, which is internal on our transmission.

Best,
goood thing for warrenties that sounds expensive

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dealer thought it may be damaged wires from the original accident (which voided the warrantee) but now thinks it's the ABS module for about $600. They tell me there's a national back order on this module but are trying to get one for me.
Seems the module just can't read the wheel sensors.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Took my beast out for the first time since purchased as a wreck last winter.
The car is stuck in first gear, the speedometer doesn't work, and the abs, brake, and eps lights are on. Any thoughts out there? If it were just a bad abs controller, I would expect the transmission would shift and the speedo would work no matter what lights were on.
Must be some common link to everything.
Codes on my scan tool are U0121 and U1120. Probably bad ABS module but the tranny not shifting has me stumped.
Thanks for any help folks.
From info on (or around) this site:
U0121-lost Communication With Anti-lock Brake Module
U1120-lost Wheel Distance Message

As people said, I think you can pull the fuses (check this site) to try reseting things, in the hope that it's just a communication glitch.

Definitely check the wiring yourself if you can! Could just be a bad connection if you're lucky.

If the computer cannot find the brakes or the wheel sensors, I think I can understand why it might not let you change out of 1st or 2nd gear... :)

I'd be interested to hear more about your car! Did I understand that you bought a damaged SRT8? If you feel ok giving out that info, then I'd be curious about how much you paid and if this route worked out for you?

Good luck!
Andy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea. Bought a wrecked SRT8 with 19 miles on it. It got wrecked at the dealership in Kansas and I bought it from a reseller in NJ. Brought it home to NH last November and spent the winter accumulating parts and putting it together. Think I feel a little more intimate with this beast than most owners do as I've seen this car undressed so to speak. It's been fun but now I'm anxious to get it painted all one color again and start driving it.
Money?? Paid just under 19 for it and will have another 10 grand into it when I'm done. I'll do a final talley when it's complete but I think I'll come out OK.
Of course, having no warrantee is not for everyone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts