Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Octane Red SPWB
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Petty’s Garage strut tower brace on my ‘17 Scatpack but curious if anyone sees the need on a widebody with the active suspension.
Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
My understanding is that they are only effective for true track use or autocross where you are pushing your car to the limit and trying to gain a few tenths off a lap/course time. These cars are really stiff from the factory to begin with. Especially compared to older cars from the 90's and back. If its not tracked it would be a waste. A set of actual competition tires will be way more effective for your money IMO. The stock tires always break loose before you over come the factory suspension settings. These cars are already heavy which is the other thing to take into consideration with traction and cornering.

Any weight savings you do will also be way more effective at helping with any type traction loss, body roll, and rigidity.

Neil

Reactions: Johnnyma45

·
Registered
2022 Octane Red SPWB
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a few road track days in my 17 and plan on doing more with the widebody. I guess I’ll just have to see how it performs. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I did a few road track days in my 17 and plan on doing more with the widebody. I guess I’ll just have to see how it performs. Thanks for the reply.
Glad to see you are using it for its purpose. I auto X my 86 D150 truck and you want to talk about body roll. The charger feels like a go cart compared to it lol.

Here is a run from my truck if your interested.....

The stock all season pirelli's on the WB's are greasy IMO and really don't let the car show its abilities. I haven't ran it on the AUTO X course or in a high temperature but....I have several curvy open roads near my house that allow me to open it up and the tail comes around well before the car understeers. We will see in the spring when I can take it to a test N tune....

Neil

·
Registered
2022 Octane Red SPWB
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Glad to see you are using it for its purpose. I auto X my 86 D150 truck and you want to talk about body roll. The charger feels like a go cart compared to it lol.

Here is a run from my truck if your interested.....

The stock all season pirelli's on the WB's are greasy IMO and really don't let the car show its abilities. I haven't ran it on the AUTO X course or in a high temperature but....I have several curvy open roads near my house that allow me to open it up and the tail comes around well before the car understeers. We will see in the spring when I can take it to a test N tune....

Neil
Great vid! I agree the Perellis suck. I did my first track day with them, 50% tread life. They definitely talked way more than I wanted and felt unsafe as hell. I went with coopers and was pleasantly surprised for the next one. These chargers are boats but they handle decent for a large car and come alive in the straights.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I have Petty front strut bars on both my 2016 V6's...and contrary to what most think, they DO tighten up the front end. We have a particular section of road that we have to drive nearly everyday that is wash boarded by heavy construction vehicles. Without the bars the cars wiggled all over the place (up/down and left/right), with the bars they ride is firm and straight, no more wiggling left and right.... BTW, our 2013 Chrysler 200 V6 has one installed at the factory- they don't put them on if they don't do anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have Petty front strut bars on both my 2016 V6's...and contrary to what most think, they DO tighten up the front end. We have a particular section of road that we have to drive nearly everyday that is wash boarded by heavy construction vehicles. Without the bars the cars wiggled all over the place (up/down and left/right), with the bars they ride is firm and straight, no more wiggling left and right.... BTW, our 2013 Chrysler 200 V6 has one installed at the factory- they don't put them on if they don't do anything.
On a softer riding sxt i would say they would help. On the adaptive suspension i would say they would be far less effective as a result of the increased rigidity in the suspension components as a whole, stiffer rates, larger sway bars etc.

The jury is out on a consensus answer but i feel the higher up the chain you go on the charger heirarchy the less of an effect you will find.

Neil

·
Registered
2022 Octane Red SPWB
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On a softer riding sxt i would say they would help. On the adaptive suspension i would say they would be far less effective as a result of the increased rigidity in the suspension components as a whole, stiffer rates, larger sway bars etc.

The jury is out on a consensus answer but i feel the higher up the chain you go on the charger heirarchy the less of an effect you will find.

Neil
I lean towards agreeing with you

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I had a Petty’s Garage strut tower brace on my ‘17 Scatpack but curious if anyone sees the need on a widebody with the active suspension.
Thanks!
Here's how to find out if you need a strut tower bar (hint- you don't).

Open the hood and pop off the strut covers. Tie a piece of string from one side to the other. Using the strut mounting bolts should clear the engine and allow the string to be nice and tight.

Now, jack up one side of the car high enough to change the tire (higher if you want to).

If the string goes slack, put a strut bar on it. If it doesn't, save the money for more gooder tires

1 - 10 of 10 Posts