Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my strut bar today and Im reading the instructions and one part made me wonder..... why do they say to jack up the car to unload the front springs before putting the bar in place? I dont recall ever having to do that on other cars we've installed strut bars on? Its not that big of a deal I guess but I dont have a jack at my house just thought I'd ask. :D

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
That's a new one to me too.

I dunno that I'd risk it though.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If you do that will you have to get the front end realigned?

Scott
According to the instructions I wont need to realign it. But the problem I think is if I undo the nuts, jack up the car, couldn't the springs/struts fall out?

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
The strut won't fall out, because the ball joint on the spindle is still connected; that's what holds the whole system in place. You normaly have to remove that to install new coilovers.
Don't know why it tells you to jack the car up... Probably so you don't run into a risk of the car falling on top of the suspension if once you remove the nuts, something fails. Don't see how that would happen, but probably to cover the strut bar manufacturer's butt.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The strut won't fall out, because the ball joint on the spindle is still connected; that's what holds the whole system in place. You normaly have to remove that to install new coilovers.
Don't know why it tells you to jack the car up... Probably so you don't run into a risk of the car falling on top of the suspension if once you remove the nuts, something fails. Don't see how that would happen, but probably to cover the strut bar manufacturer's butt.
You know what you said makes sense... so should I just skip the jacking portion?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So I went to install the bar and the passenger side is fine... i goto the driver side and.... wtf? The bar is bent somehow and wont allow for the third nut to be threaded on.

WTF!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Your pics didn't show. Do you have the DC Sports strut bar? If so, mine was the same way. Your bar probably isn't bent. But, I followed the instructions, jacked the car up a little after removing the three little nuts on each side. It allowed just enough movement in the struts for the holes to line up with the bolts. Just don't go too far in raising the car. Once the bar is on the bolts, lower the car slowly, then put the nuts back on and tighten. No alignment issues so far.

Sometimes it pays to follow the instructions.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Your pics didn't show. Do you have the DC Sports strut bar? If so, mine was the same way. Your bar probably isn't bent. But, I followed the instructions, jacked the car up a little after removing the three little nuts on each side. It allowed just enough movement in the struts for the holes to line up with the bolts. Just don't go too far in raising the car. Once the bar is on the bolts, lower the car slowly, then put the nuts back on and tighten. No alignment issues so far.

Sometimes it pays to follow the instructions.
That actually makes perfect sense to me. If the bar can't get some initial force behind it it's not really proactively "bracing" anything, it's just kind of sitting there looking pretty...

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Here are the pics.... Jacking the car up will not have any effect the bent plate. Unless the bar was designed like this? When the bar is seated the passenger side sits flat like its supposed to. The driver side 2 back holes sit flush like they are supposed to, but the bent part is so high it extends past the threaded bolt. I should have taken pics of it on the car I guess.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Mine was like that. I just bent it down a little so it was flat like the other side. I put the main area on a flat surface and then slowly bent it down until it was against the flat surface. If you do that, do it carefully. Don't want to risk damage, but it works.
I don't know why they come like that, but I just worked around it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'd try ataching the bent side first, then push it down on the other side.
Looks bent to me!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Actually really looking at it, mine was bent, but not that much.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Actually yeah; sure enough, the bracket sticking out on the driver side is bent upward at nearly a 45 degree angle! Send it back pronto.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I PMed the ProMotion but he hasn't got back to me yet.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
i had the DC strut bar, but i sold it...i tried to install the strut without jack'n and i couldn't line both side up...you need to jack up the front end so that you have some movement to install...good luck - jimmy
hit me up if anything else....

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK so after no reply from Pro Motion I decided to flatten out the bent part. No problems to report. I install the bar and she sits good and tight.... I go and close the hood but it wont close...... the scoops from the hood scoop are hitting the bar.... WTF!!!!! So now what do I do????????????? I cant be the first SRT8 owner to buy a strut bar.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
you either have to remove the vents or cut a notch in it to clear. theres no other way. got your pm. good luck - jimmy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts