Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since I live in an emission free state i am planning on removing the cats and just straight piping them like i did when i removed the suitcase muffler. I havent heard anyone doing this and i heard its good for at least 5-10HP and is a hell of alot cheaper than buying high flow cats. What do u guys think???

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I was considering just taking off my highflow cats and asked a few people about it and most people say having highflow cats is almost as good as no cats. As far as 5-10 hp, I'd say that is very plausible. The thing about exhaust though, is all the different components work together to gain more hp.

For instance, If you already had headers & catbacks and you switched out your stock cats for no cats of highflow cats, you would gain a lot more power than if you just removed cats off your stock exhaust.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Just a note... even though you live in an "emissions free" state, you still have to live by the federal emissions standards. If it has cats, the feds say it has to have 'em. :)

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Just a note... even though you live in an "emissions free" state, you still have to live by the federal emissions standards. If it has cats, the feds say it has to have 'em. :)
hmm so hows that work? i was thinking about doing the same thing as the OP, since i spend most of my time in oklahoma, and they dont do inspections here. i've seen a ton of people just running open headers around here. so hows the federal emissions thing work? can a cop give you a ticket for not following federal emissions?

and another ?.... what are the best mid pipes for us to buy? or would it be cheaper to just have an exhaust shop make them?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Yep, cats are Federal, and override any state-specific emissions law.

Could be a $10,000 fine if convicted. Leave 'em on.

·
Registered
415 Posts
In Hawaii, we don't have to have our cars tested for cats. No emissions test at all. I've removed the cats off of atleast 4-5 of my vehicled through the years and have never had to worry about getting into any type of trouble.

So I guess that maybe the federal law would still apply to us, but we don't have anyone here to check on it!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
yea thats the same thing here in oklahoma. no emissions test at all. and i know a lot of ppl here that dont have cats on their trucks. i highly doubt anyone gets caught and charged w/ not having cats. but i dont know

·
Registered
928 Posts
yes its against the law, but would they actually bother to hassle you about it? i doubt it. JBA now makes midpipes that are catless, but you have to use shorties. If you have LT's I would say talk to your exhaust shop they will have to bend you something.

as far as HP gains over highflow cats, I doubt you will see jack.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
He in PA, we have emissions tests, plust the annual inspection is also VISUAL; it wouldn't pass.

You can take your chances, but, if you ever WERE written up for some sort of exhaust issue, and the LEO wanted to really check things out...I'm just sayin'....you're taking a big (and expensive) chance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After living in Arkanasas all my life and in Oklahoma for 4 years, I guess it depends on the athorities in your area. Your right, we don't have to have our cars inspected, but the other poster is also right in that it is fed law if they came with a cat then by law they must have it. I cut the cats on my chevy pickup, gutted the cat on my 04 cummins diesel, and am considering deleting the r/t's cats. The only time I heard of someone in trouble for not having them was an idiot running open headers on a new model causing a lot of trouble in town and they were throwing the book at him. Gutting them is an option but I think on the charger they are welded in-line. It sure isn't hard to gut one though. I've done it plenty on other vehicles. The advantage of a gutted cat is that neither the local athorites or the techs at the dodge dealer know anything's been altered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts