Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive recently H piped my 5.7 hemi and would taking off the front catalic converters off and replacing them with 3 inch short pipes damage the car or cylinders? The car service engine would come on for sure, but would the stock computer read it correclty? or a new chip is required for sure?

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
3 inch pipes are a bit big fella. Stock is 2.25. 3 would be for forced induction, srt, or higher displacement. Your drone would knock your socks off if you took off cats, muffler and resos but thats your world .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more feedback plz

2 back tail cats are still on, only H pipe in middle, and front cats are replaced with 3 inch, (right next to the computer sensors.)
Will this damage the car or cars cylinders eventually, from lack of fuel sensor reading going through the pipes? or even spark plugs?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had that same setup on my RT. It was cool at first but really gets annoying, especially at highway speeds. The interior reso is so loud its hard to even have a conversation. I also felt like I lost some of the get up and go, but i'm not sure about that. Get the SLP Loudmouth or some Super 44's and I think you'd be happier.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
There is only 2 cats, and they are right in front of the x-pipe. The rears, which the tail pipe is located at, are resonators to reduce drone.

Don't go with a higher diameter exhaust tubing. The current 2.25" ~ 2.50" is the proper size for the 5.7. The rear O2 sensors located behind the cats, are for monitoring cat efficiency, and have no bearing on A/F trims.

And yeah, why would you remove the factory x-pipe? It fits nice and clean under there, and I would think a less restrictive flow pattern would be produced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts