Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just doing some wondering on the Internet I've come across some interesting information about the X-pipe in the stock exhaust system. Apparently it's a fake? Anyone have any information on this? I've read that some models have a real X and others are just there for show. I don't know if this is just a bad rumor or if this really is true... I'm curious to know if my 2012 SRT 300 has a real x-pipe or not?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I saw a cutaway picture in a post where they claim it is fake. The picture showed an oval shaped opening between the left and right pipe. You can tell without a cutaway that it is not an "X", but there seems to be enough of an opening to balance the exhaust pressures, which is the point.

To be honest, I don't even understand how an true X pipe can work. You've got a pair of 2.5" pipes merging into an X where at one point there is a single 2.5" space for both exhaust streams. Seem like a high pressure area with a lot of turbulence.

When the idea first cam around, it was a tube connecting each side called and H tube or balance pipe.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw the picture online as well. But than after further research, it seems that the different LX cars and different years had a true X and others did not. not sure the accuracy of this information, however.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
You can test your exhaust to see if your x-pipe is a true crossover pipe.

One method is use a rag to block one of the tailpipes while the car is idling. While using the rag to increase the blockage of one tailpipe - use your other hand to feel the exhaust coming out the other tailpipe. You should feel an increase in the exhaust pressure of the unblocked tailpipe as your blocking the other tailpipe with the rag. Now move the rag over to the unblocked tailpipe and repeat the procedure.

If you have an open (real) x-pipe, you should feel an increase in the exhaust pressure of the unblocked tailpipe. If you have a blocked (fake) x-pipe, you will feel an increase in the exhaust pressure of the blocked tailpipe and no change in the exhaust pressure of the unblocked tailpipe.

Another method is to use a ShopVac to either push air, or draw air, through the exhaust system. With the engine OFF, put the ShopVac hose in one of the tailpipes (seal around the hose, in the tailpipe, with a rag). When you turn on the ShopVac you should be able to feel the air being pulled in, or pushed out, of the other tailpipe (depends on whether you have the ShopVac set for blower or suction). If you have an open (real) x-pipe, you should be able to feel the change in air flow in the the unblocked tailpipe.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
On the '06-'10 cars, the SRT X-pipe is not connected between the two sides but the 5.7L is.

This is because the 5.7L needed the x-pipe to equalize pressure and maintain scavenging efficiency when in MDS mode while the 6.1L didn't since it doesn't have MDS.

That particular x-pipe was intentionally designed to be "self-neutralizing" on the 5.7L engine when in non-MDS mode since it wouldn't permit cross pressure when the exhaust was "stacked" with pulses on each side effectively eliminating cross pressure from occurring.

As far as I know, the later years ('11+) don't use them due to changes in the exhaust configuration making them unnecessary.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Ddaddy,
I don't which model years or configurations used the open x-pipe, the closed x-pipe, or no x-pipe. My 2012 R/T (5.7L) has an open x-pipe.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My Mopar '11 had a functional X pipe from the factory.

I too saw this same article prior to switching my exhaust, so after installing the Zoomers I cut up the factory exhaust to see for myself.

FYI - The Zoomers have a functional X pipe also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts