Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought I would share this info.

I took the car to make a few Dyno pulls to get a baseline of what the car is doing before I put in the Vortech kit that is already ordered and on it's way. Since I was going through the trouble, I decided to make 4 pulls. Two with the stock tune and two with the Predator 93 Octane, CAI tune. This is the canned tune from Diablo, no other mods made to the tune.

The car currently has just the Corsa Cat Back (Sport Kit) and an Airaid CAI. The car has 4,000 miles on it right now.

Conditions for the pull:
Dyno: DynoJet - In-ground
Weather: 95 Degrees, 48% Humidity, 30 mBar Pressure, sea level

Best pull on the 93 CAI tune: 369.5 HP 372.0 ft lbs of torque

Best pull on the Dodge stock tune: 359.9 HP 359.0 ft lbs of torque

The net result is about 9.6 HP and 13 ft lbs of torque. Not bad. Not something you would feel in the seat of your pants, but not bad. It is about what I would expect for, essentially, a CAI. It is not however, a 20 HP gain that most talk about. Of course, 95 degrees does not help, but it was a straight up run against each other. The only thing that was done was a reflash of the ECU to the stock and we ran it again. 10 Minutes, max, between runs. Yes not all cars react the same way, there are other factors, ect. ect. ect. Bottom line really is that the car makes more power, no question.

One other note, the car also get better mileage. I make a couple of 100 mile trips a month. Last one I made I averaged 20.4 MPG over the 100 miles. Before the tune, the stock made 18.8 MPG average. Both days were within about 5 degrees of each other and dry. Most likely the Predator tune runs a bit leaner at low and mid RPM. At WOT, that won't be the case. In any event, I thought that was interesting.

This is a link to a video of the pull. Actually the Dyno's display. The bay that they run the car in is too narrow to get a good angle on the car while being run so you'll have to settle for the screen and sound.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBeGIuCGnNk

Once the kit is in and the car is ready, I will wait to get as close as I can to the same weather and I will run the car with the Vortech in place.

Lastly...... Now the car is back to the stock tune and the Predator is back to being unlinked from my car. I am looking to sell it b/c I get a new one in the Vortech Kit. I won't need both.... The unit has been used twice. Once to put the 93 CAI tune in and once to put the stock tune back and reset it. Feel free to check the "Parts for Sale/Wanted" section for the thread with details. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
15 lbs of RWTQ is a nice gain for $300..... 95 degreees sure didnt help you though...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
15 lbs of RWTQ is a nice gain for $300..... 95 degreees sure didnt help you though...
Agreed........ no question. For $600 though. $300 for each, the CAI and the tuner. Still, however, not complaining at all. The fact that there is a measureable gain is worth it and better mileage in daily drive..... can't beat that.

In fact you mention something I should have. The torque gain is more important to me than the HP..... it will give me the better kick I am after.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The gains are ok considering how hot it was, but its kinda disappointing too. I mean a corsa exhaust/airraid cai and a diablo only gave you 10 horsepower and 13 torque. That's over a $1000 spent for a little gain. I don't no if its the tranny shifts or the reduce torque management in the diablo, but it makes your car feel faster compared to the actually gains you get

·
Registered
574 Posts
The gains are ok considering how hot it was, but its kinda disappointing too. I mean a corsa exhaust/airraid cai and a diablo only gave you 10 horsepower and 13 torque. That's over a $1000 spent for a little gain. I don't no if its the tranny shifts or the reduce torque management in the diablo, but it makes your car feel faster compared to the actually gains you get
Remember that's peak hp and tq. See the gains under the rev area. You will be surprized how much more power you are making like at 4k rpm

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Does anyone have an idea of how much HP it takes to make a Charger .1 of a second quicker in the quarter
As a GENERAL rule, 100hp will take off a second in the quarter, as will shaving 1000 lbs. off the weight of the car.:driving:

·
Registered
584 Posts
You were very rich in the higher RPMs. I bet if you used the Predator to take 10% of fuel out, you would have had your 20HP.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Uhh, I think people are assuming the "stock tune" pull was done with out the exhaust and CAI, but in fact the ONLY change between dyno runs was the Diablo tune. So in essence, those gains shown were ONLY from the Diablo tune. Who knows how much the CAI and exhaust gave him because they were already on the car during the "stock tune" pull. To me, that's a nice gain for a canned tune, and as mentioned, those are just peak numbers. What does the rest of the dyno graph look like when compared.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
As a GENERAL rule, 100hp will take off a second in the quarter, as will shaving 1000 lbs. off the weight of the car.:driving:
Thank you. In my opinion the RT has never received the recognition it deserved, but according to those numbers the RT is almost as fast as the SRT per HP. No disrespect to the SRT at all, it is a super car and deserves our respect and has my utmost respect.

But it sounds as if the RT deserves respect that it has never received. The RT has much more competition because there are many more cars in this horsepower range.

The RT and SRT are worthy of our respect - can I get a witness?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thank you. In my opinion the RT has never received the recognition it deserved, but according to those numbers the RT is almost as fast as the SRT per HP. No disrespect to the SRT at all, it is a super car and deserves our respect and has my utmost respect.

But it sounds as if the RT deserves respect that it has never received. The RT has much more competition because there are many more cars in this horsepower range.

Didnt it say in the video it was an srt8?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Remember that's peak hp and tq. See the gains under the rev area. You will be surprized how much more power you are making like at 4k rpm
Yes and no. There are differences. I should have posted the dyno chart. The numbers are peak numbers but the curves are virtually identical. Once you are past the 4K RPM point the 10HP difference (on average) is about the same, give or take. On the stock tune the peak comes in later, the Predator tune comes in tad earlier at 4800 RPM. Below is the chart. I superimposed the two best pulls. The lighter lines are the 93 CAI tune.

Does anyone have an idea of how much HP it takes to make a Charger .1 of a second quicker in the quarter
I won't argue the 100HP = 1 Sec on the 1/4... that's about what I always was taught.

On the weight, I was always told that 600 or 100. Basically, you can shave 600 lbs or add 100 HP. So given the 100 HP = 1 sec on the 1/4 mile, then I would tell you that 600 pounds would be the number to target to shave 1 sec.

Thank you. In my opinion the RT has never received the recognition it deserved, but according to those numbers the RT is almost as fast as the SRT per HP....

Agreed 100%. The R/T is a wonderful car. The engine is great and for the price, you can't beat it. The Charger is a full sized sedan. With the Hemi's they are a blast.

On the performance, it's tough to compare on HP alone. If we look at the weight, there is only a 130 lb difference between the two (more or less). That would mean that, according to the 6 lb = 1 HP general number I was taught, the R/T weight difference would net you 20 HP (ballpark) bringing you to a 380 HP equivalent.

If you look at power to weight ratio, a bit easier to compare, then the R/T is pushing about 11 pounds with each HP. The SRT is pushing a little under 10. If you look at torque, which gives you off-the-line performance, the R/T is 10.20 pounds per ft-lb of torque and the SRT is at 9.90. The numbers are much closer. What this tells you is that, off the line, the two cars will be closely matched. Once you are rolling.... the SRT will pull harder. Torque gets you off the line...... HP gives you the trap.

Obviously though, there is more to it than that..... but I agree....... the R/T does not get the praise it deserves, in my opinion. Some tunes and upgrades and you are at an SRT with some money to spare. In general though, I don't think the charger gets the fanfare the other brands get. You are hard pressed to find an article about the Charger, in general, in any of the big publications. (C&D, R&T, MT, etc.) However, those magazines have tested every BMW, Merc, Toyota, Nissan, Ford and GM model made, 3 times a year, head to head, individually, long term, etc. 5 times to Sunday.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Interested in buying the predator sent PM

·
Registered
88 Posts
Im pretty sure he says the car already had the exhaust and CAI installed, so those gains are with and without the predator tune only. All three of those installed would give you a helluva lot more than 10hp.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im pretty sure he says the car already had the exhaust and CAI installed, so those gains are with and without the predator tune only. All three of those installed would give you a helluva lot more than 10hp.
Correct.... the difference is the tune only..... The car had the Corsa and CAI installed for both sets of pulls.

Agreed, the Corsa and CAI likely gave me something from a bone stock (as it comes from Dodge) Charger SRT8. The Corsa is also lighter that the stock exhaust. I did not Dyno the stock car though....

In the end, the Dyno differences you see are only the tune difference.

·
Registered
153 Posts
X2 on tims comment.. Peak HP pales in comparison to HP across the board IMO.. To me its much better for daily driving on public roads. Mind you im not knocking peak HP. I am saying though to acheive peak HP you're going to be revving your car up there which In cali tends to attract the wrong people. Law Enforcement for example.. :)

Here's a simple scenario, happened to me this week.. coming onto the 10fwy i was forced to accelerate pretty hard. i also was in autostick mode in 2nd gear. i accelerated to make a simple merge onto traffic revving at about 4700-5000. I had already noticed the police officer i was passing but im well within my right to merge onto traffic not to mention i was doing like 60something while other cars where at least doing 65 and above. the police officer immediately moved over 3 lanes to get behind and pace me and did soo for about 3 miles. Now, who in their right mind would speed in front of a police officer?? so why pace me when i was just merging? the answer is simple.. HEMI V8.. The sound alone is enough to either intimidate or aggravate. couple that with ANY aftermarket exhaust and you might as well have bells on your shoes. to me the more power across the board the better.. :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
You would be suprised at those that speed - or - ride on a bumper of a police officer that is already going 10 over the limit. People dont look before driving fast most of the time, make the cruiser a slick top and now most folks cant see that police cruiser.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
You would be suprised at those that speed - or - ride on a bumper of a police officer that is already going 10 over the limit. People dont look before driving fast most of the time, make the cruiser a slick top and now most folks cant see that police cruiser.
I don't see that too much. What I see more often is people driving the normal 5-10mph over the limit. See a cop either merging on, or even worse going the other way on the opposite side of the freeway and instantly slow down to 5 under the speed limit. The cop could be going 40mph in a 50 and they refuse to pass the cop backing up traffice because they won't even get behind the cop in the other lane to let others by.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I believe the exhaust and CAI were used on all runs, so the gains from them are not measured. The only gains measured are the difference between the stock and predator tune. Is this correct, OP?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe the exhaust and CAI were used on all runs, so the gains from them are not measured. The only gains measured are the difference between the stock and predator tune. Is this correct, OP?
Already confirmed that above.....

Yes. The only difference is the tune. I don't have the true stock baseline pull. Sorry folks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts