Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my new Charger RT with RT package for 2 weeks now:grin: , and would like to start modifying it. I would like to start with making it sound like it runs. I really don’t want to spend allot of money on a new exhaust. Have read that some of you are putting on new exhaust systems, and removed the Resonators.

Can I just remove the Resonators? Will this De-tune the stock exhaust, or will it perform the same, just with a little more growl?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I’ve had my new Charger RT with RT package for 2 weeks now:grin: , and would like to start modifying it. I would like to start with making it sound like it runs. I really don’t want to spend allot of money on a new exhaust. Have read that some of you are putting on new exhaust systems, and removed the Resonators.

Can I just remove the Resonators? Will this De-tune the stock exhaust, or will it perform the same, just with a little more growl?

You should get more growl. There are a lot of clips on YouTube of those that have already done so.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
people on here call it the brylcreem exhaust. what most people do is take out the HUGE suitecase muffler (the big fat one in the middle of the car) and leave the resonators (two littler ones out by the tips), but some people remove the resonators and tips all together and throw some huge tips in there. do some research on here and u can find more info than ever.

sounds like u might be intered in blastin bobs kit...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Since I'm new to this site stop me if I'm wrong but when I looked under my 07 Charger R/T w/ R&T package the muffler or mufflers look to be separate not the suitcase muffler you guys are referring too

·
Registered
372 Posts
I took my resonators off a while ago. You do get a real growl; someone once called it "old school thunder".

There's also a heavier exhaust note inside, esp at higher speeds which bothers some people, but I like it. It's the cheapest way to get louder, bar none.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
The two big things at the back right behind the exhaust tips are what we call the resonators, they keep the exhaust from droning when the MDS is active. Further up just in front of the rear axle is a big suitcase muffler that 2 inlets and 2 outlets, so effectively these cars have 4 mufflers.

Here is a picture of the underside of an R/T charger:

·
Registered
260 Posts
If u want your beast to sound louder..

Just remove the big muffler near the middle...

I did it...it sounds a lot better ,louder and meaner...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do the Resonators unbolt, or do they have to be cut off?
I'm also in Orange County, CA. and I am running what is commonly called the "Tuna Boat" mod. This is cutting off the resonators and adding tips or re-welding in the original tips.

If you want to hear it in person, we could meet up somewhere sometime. No big problem if your interested.

You will get some drone inside with this setup, but overall it isn't really bad IMO.

It is the easiest way to get the growl out of the hemi. My muffler guy in Costa Mesa also told me the stock suitcase is basically a straight through design and unless I really wanted to spend the dough that it would be close to a cat-back design in regards to performance.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Yeah cutting off the resonators is the "tuna boat" mod, cutting off the mufflers is the "brylcream". they are different. either way you will have to CUT the parts off and put pipe in. you wont gain performance from this just sound. as the guy above said, they are straight through. you might gain a bit of flow from the tuna boat but not enough to matter.

the cats are the really restrictive part of our stock setup.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If u want your beast to sound louder..

Just remove the big muffler near the middle...

I did it...it sounds a lot better ,louder and meaner...
I agree x2. I just removed the suitcase muffler and left the resonators. Sounds awesome :D

:cool:

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I'm also in Orange County, CA. and I am running what is commonly called the "Tuna Boat" mod. This is cutting off the resonators and adding tips or re-welding in the original tips.

If you want to hear it in person, we could meet up somewhere sometime. No big problem if your interested.

You will get some drone inside with this setup, but overall it isn't really bad IMO.

It is the easiest way to get the growl out of the hemi. My muffler guy in Costa Mesa also told me the stock suitcase is basically a straight through design and unless I really wanted to spend the dough that it would be close to a cat-back design in regards to performance.

MEET UP WITH THIS GUY AND HEAR IT.

"brylcreem" does not even compare in sound to "tuna boat"
which is removing the "suitcase" as opposed to removing the "resonators", respective to the order mentioned above.

removing resos(tuna boat) will be TONS louder and sound wicked. also likely to give better(altho minimal) performance increase compared to brylcreem(removing suitcase) HOWEVER it will be loud inside the cabin, and when MDS kicks on, you WILL know it, and it can get annoying. it will not bother most people(im in this group), but if you have a wife or kids then it may bother them.

this is achieved by cutting off the resos with a sawzall and welding some big tips on in place. i wish i did this as opposed to brylcreem in the first place, bryl wasnt loud enough for me. but it has NO cabin drone, and definately makes it sound a LOT better than stock, its just not as much of a "head turner" as knocking off those resos.

removing any of these componets removes about 25 lbs per reso and about 45 for the suitcase... give or take. that alone can help with power, but the resos in particular cause tons of backpressure, removing them helps with performance. id say in the range of 5-10 hp from taking them off, if you have Road and Track option already

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hey guys I am strongly thinking about doing the tuna bouat but wanted to put some yellow glasspacks out the back what do you think about this idea?

thanks,

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
There is a good muffler shop in Placentia, CA on the corner of Placentia Ave and Industrial way. I don't know if he has the Blastin Bob Kit, but he does have custom made mufflers that make the car sound nice and loud, I have it on my 5.9L Grand Cherokee and it sounds like a beast. He does really good work and at a fair price. Call 714-524-7818 and ask for Josh and tell him what you're looking for.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I did it.

The drone is unreal at 2,100 rpm's in 5th. Just keep that in mind.

Less back pressure and you're removing those terrible bends in the exhaust system.

I would do it again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Remove the Reso's and replace with some Blastin Bobs resonated tips. He has two versions, one Louder than the other. I went with the quieter of the two (don't wanna wake the neighbors) it sounds great a WOT or when you get on it. If your looking for a loud growl I would go with the Louder version. Local shop put them on for about $60. The stock Reso's need to be cut off, Bob's come with instructions where to cut.

·
Registered
537 Posts
A few weeks after picking up my baby (RT r/t), I cut off the reso's. I paid under $100 at a local muffler shop to have it done, they cut them out, put straight pipes in, and welded the stainless tips back on. Here are a couple of clips I did that night:

Outside the car - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqBvsysL-jE

Inside the car - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cfb4Rd1S2w

And as others have stated, it DOES cause drone in the cab, generally the worst from 70-75mph. Over the last almost year it's seemed to get a bit louder also. If you know this going in, no worries. For the money, I DEFINITELY recommend this mod, but once money allows I'll be putting the Blastin Bob's kit on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.