Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I found a thread not too long ago (can't find it now) stating there were two filters for our chargers (yellow and white) and that white was what went into the SRT for better performance. Could anyone validate this?

Also,

I keep hearing the RT with RT has a bigger stock air box but the air filter is the same as all other chargers. I'm curious as to, what's "bigger" about it?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
If I remember right, the R/T, R^2/T^2 (Road and Track), and Daytona 5.7s all had the same Air Box. The Extra 10 HP for the Road and Track and Daytona came from a free-er flowing muffler.

Like I said...that's just going from memory...and that was 8 beers (I mean..."YEARS") ago.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah, I had wondered the same thing. I knew our RTs w/R&T are rated 10 hp more, but had kinda wondered what was specifically responsible for that increase. I know the airbox is different, but it takes the exact same stock filter.
Guess I figured some of it can be a bit different tune, but we still can run 87 (which I greatly appreciate). Perhaps the 10 hp is only there if we run 89 (assuming the computer adjusts like the Mustang one does on different octane).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would also like to add that NO performance drop-in fits the 2006 models (maybe up until 2008 as well) due to the corner angle of the stock air-box. Most filters are rectangular when they actually need an inverted corner to fit properly and form a tight seal... The exception being K&N........

But anyways, does anyone know if the SRT air filter is different? If it fits the 2006 RT R/T stock air box?

Thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yeah, I had wondered the same thing. I knew our RTs w/R&T are rated 10 hp more, but had kinda wondered what was specifically responsible for that increase. I know the airbox is different, but it takes the exact same stock filter.
Guess I figured some of it can be a bit different tune, but we still can run 87 (which I greatly appreciate). Perhaps the 10 hp is only there if we run 89 (assuming the computer adjusts like the Mustang one does on different octane).
No that's NOT true.
The RT R&T engine "requires" that you use 89 octane gasoline in it. You cannot use 87 octane in the RT R&T. ONLY 89 octane.
That's what my owner's manual recommends for my 2008 RT R&T. I've been using 89 octane ever since I special ordered my car directly from the Brampton, Ontario assembly plant and picked it up from the dealer.

·
Registered
207 Posts
No that's NOT true.
The RT R&T engine "requires" that you use 89 octane gasoline in it. You cannot use 87 octane in the RT R&T. ONLY 89 octane.
That's what my owner's manual recommends for my 2008 RT R&T. I've been using 89 octane ever since I special ordered my car directly from the Brampton, Ontario assembly plant and picked it up from the dealer.
My 06 manual disagrees. But then, starting to understand that there are more and more things slightly different about 2006 model year Chargers than 07-08 ones.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
No that's NOT true.
Recommends 89 for performance but can use 87 octane for all 5.7L and 3.5L engines. You probably gain only 5-10 HP from using 89 over 87.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
No that's NOT true.
Big difference between "Recommends" and "Requires". I run 87 in my '06 Daytona all the time...it's fine...no issues at all.

The extra 10 HP on the Daytona and R&T cars came from a less restrictive muffler than the regular R/T. Higher Octane doesn't give you more HP.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I would also like to add that NO performance drop-in fits the 2006 models (maybe up until 2008 as well) due to the corner angle of the stock air-box. Most filters are rectangular when they actually need an inverted corner to fit properly and form a tight seal... The exception being K&N........

But anyways, does anyone know if the SRT air filter is different? If it fits the 2006 RT R/T stock air box?

Thanks
The OEM SRT air filter has a different part number but it does fit the RT air box It just bends on the corner to fit the SRT box. I use the Fram AirHog and use a hack saw to cut off the corner to make it fit in my stock air box with the Custom Air Tube. I also have used the K&N (no cutting required) but the AirHog is less expensive and has 28% more surface area on the pleats than the K&N...

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The OEM SRT air filter has a different part number but it does fit the RT air box It just bends on the corner to fit the SRT box. I use the Fram AirHog and use a hack saw to cut off the corner to make it fit in my stock air box with the Custom Air Tube. I also have used the K&N (no cutting required) but the AirHog is less expensive and has 28% more surface area on the pleats than the K&N...

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116457&stc=1&d=1395969478[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116465&stc=1&d=1395969516[IMG][/quote]

The current air filter I got from the dealership bends on the corner as well (yellow for Stock R/T's). I asked around and the white one originally came in all 2006 RT R/T's, Daytonas and SRT8's. I don't understand why they designed a stock air-box where even their OEM filters have to get their paper crushed in the corner to fit. The inward angle serves zero purpose as far as I can tell...

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
The current air filter I got from the dealership bends on the corner as well (yellow for Stock R/T's). I asked around and the white one originally came in all 2006 RT R/T's, Daytonas and SRT8's. I don't understand why they designed a stock air-box where even their OEM filters have to get their paper crushed in the corner to fit. The inward angle serves zero purpose as far as I can tell...
Because engineer :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
668 Posts
I use the Mopar Performance filter listed for the SRT. Same as Ddaddy, I had to slice off part of the rubber corner to make it fit. A mod to the mod as it were.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts