Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, once again I'm a newb on a car enthusiast site, and I was DESPERATE to not have to post a question for which I was pretty certain there must already have been multiple answers posted for...

...damn you search feature...

I tried different internet sites as well as this one, but I don't seem to be able to pull out a time slip / magazine result for a stock AWD Charger R/T.

I'm asking because I'm in the market for a new car right now and I'm considering a few options:

- 2006 300C (nav, uconnect, rear entertainment, interior wood trim) RWD
- 2007 AWD Charger R/T (same as 300C - without the wood... )
- 2007 Grand Prix GXP
- 2007 MazdaSpeed6
- 2007 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B

The Charger and the Subie are both "gently used", having been dealer driven and have a few thousand miles on them (bringing the prices down nicely).

All the others have less than 100 miles on them.

What I have been able to gather is that the overall impression of AWD vs. RWD in the Charger is that the RWD is overall faster in the 1/4-mile?

Thanks for any help you can provide this newb...and go easy on the blood-letting if I've offended any site vets and their "Use the Search Feature" mantras...

I also posted this in the Track Times section, not knowing where folks on this site like to have such topics.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would say the stock quarter mile times would be around 14.5-14.7...depending on the driver.

·
Registered
928 Posts
sounds about right.

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
By way of comparison, if this helps at all, I had a Subaru Baja (no turbo) and just traded it in for a Charger SXT/AWD.

The Charger is much more comfortable with the seats and interior room. I definitely needed more interior space than the Baja (which is a "compact" car vs. a "full-size"). Despite it's size, the Charger handles very well and the "feel" of the steering is much lighter than the Subaru. I got the SXT with the 3.5l engine, but it's still much more powerful than the Subaru (I knew that) and I've been very happy with it so far. I have not had it in the snow yet, obviously, but I'm eagerly awaiting the chance to try out the AWD in some slick stuff! (safely, in a big parking lot. I do that every year as a refresher course.)

Best of Luck on your choices!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I would say the stock quarter mile times would be around 14.5-14.7...depending on the driver.
didnt you run a 14.1 with superchips and exhaust? I am pretty sure superchips and exhaust will not make your car half a second quicker

AWDs will very close to the RWDs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input, good information. Considering how hard this car pulls (the dealership gave me the Charger over-night to consider) my butt dyno tells me it must be closer to 14.2-.3 than .5-.7.

I've had a lot of modified Grand Prix GTPs over the years and ran from mid 13's to mid 14's, and this car launches similar to the more heavily modded GPs I had.

Right now I drive a 2005 Altima 3.5SE which is a mid 14 second car, and I'm hazarding to say that the Charger here is a bit stronger yet.

Regardless, its a fun process to go through and I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
233 Posts
didnt you run a 14.1 with superchips and exhaust? I am pretty sure superchips and exhaust will not make your car half a second quicker

AWDs will very close to the RWDs

I did run a 14.15 with that stuff but also Lqqkout ran a 13.7 with minor stuff on his also. The only difference was he had stock rims while I had 20's. AWD lose some power thru the drive train and are a little bit heavier due to more stuff they cram in there for AWD...my guess its a little slower than the RWD...could possibly be around 14.3~14.5 then.

·
Registered
467 Posts
- 2007 AWD Charger R/T (same as 300C - without the wood... )
- 2007 Grand Prix GXP
- 2007 MazdaSpeed6
- 2007 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B
Wow, that was basically my list of cars except acura TL was on there too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Gxp....

Allow me to help you with the GP GXP part of your shopping trip since I owned one for over a year. I was one of the first to get this new car with it's fancy 5.3L small block.... Let me say this, that motor has no business being in a front wheel drive excessively nose heavy car. Torque steer like you wouldn't believe... Front tires wider than rear which cause all kinds of steering corrections to keep the car straight at any speed; especially on uneven pavement. Great interior ergonomics... with the nav and HUD which I love.... quality of the materials though would be insulting in a GEO. Maybe since mine was one of the first off the assembly line it had so many problems. I had a rental almost as much as I had it. Pictures to prove it too, like my tensioner assembly completely dismantling itself while driving... A trans. that wouldn't work in reverse.... brakes at 6000 miles, suspension bits always breaking down... stabilitrak failures... abs failures.... air bag failures... I could go on. Sad thing is I really liked it. Surprisingly fast but difficult to control. Move on, if you must have a Pontiac, wait on the G8. But this damn Charger is one hell of a car. 14,500 miles, not a glitch, a squeak, a rattle.... nothing.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Allow me to help you with the GP GXP part of your shopping trip since I owned one for over a year. I was one of the first to get this new car with it's fancy 5.3L small block.... Let me say this, that motor has no business being in a front wheel drive excessively nose heavy car. Torque steer like you wouldn't believe... Front tires wider than rear which cause all kinds of steering corrections to keep the car straight at any speed; especially on uneven pavement. Great interior ergonomics... with the nav and HUD which I love.... quality of the materials though would be insulting in a GEO. Maybe since mine was one of the first off the assembly line it had so many problems. I had a rental almost as much as I had it. Pictures to prove it too, like my tensioner assembly completely dismantling itself while driving... A trans. that wouldn't work in reverse.... brakes at 6000 miles, suspension bits always breaking down... stabilitrak failures... abs failures.... air bag failures... I could go on. Sad thing is I really liked it. Surprisingly fast but difficult to control. Move on, if you must have a Pontiac, wait on the G8. But this damn Charger is one hell of a car. 14,500 miles, not a glitch, a squeak, a rattle.... nothing.
would you say the charger is faster or the gp gxp?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Charger is a bit faster, at least my Daytona RWD is, Atco track slips confirmed but it's not a blow-out. I've seen some good drivers grab high 13s on both with favorable conditions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts