Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed if I put my heat on the floor, there is this nasty smell, like burning rubber....it comes and goes, and if I put the heat on any other option there is no stink at all......Does it have something to do with the rug? Has anyone else had this stinky situation??

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
When my car was new off the lot the heater smelled like that for awhile. Now it doesn't anymore. I attributed it to that new car thing. (I'm not sure if it's just me but I'm seeing some weird Google ads on the bottom of the page cuz of the word "stinky" in this title.)

·
Registered
4,218 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I noticed the burning/melting rubber smell today. I ran the heat for an extended period of time. It came and went too. I thought it was from having the car undercoated but since others are experiencing similar odors it seems to be new car related.
I'll keep an eye on it, keep running the heat and A/C. If anything is going to crap out I want it to happen while under warranty.
I just don't like that type of odor anywhere at anytime. It usually means bad things are happening.

-GB

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
There is a TSB fix for the stink you are smelling. It has to do with the evaporator in the AC system holding moisture and growing mold. Quick fix for the dealer. Do a search on here and you will find it

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
mine did this very slightly when i first got it but stopped after a few weeks.

one thing ive noticed is my climate control is useless. between 60 to 75 there is no variance in temperature. after 75 it goes to extremely hot. i either have to be cool or boiling. im fairly cold blooded and stay warm easily but it seems wierd climate control doesnt work better. even on auto it sucks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My issue is definitely a heater issue...to cold up here for the AC......I thought it might have gone away, but ran the heater the other day and it came back...Are you saying that the AC coils are also making the burning smell???

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
mine did this very slightly when i first got it but stopped after a few weeks.

one thing ive noticed is my climate control is useless. between 60 to 75 there is no variance in temperature. after 75 it goes to extremely hot. i either have to be cool or boiling. im fairly cold blooded and stay warm easily but it seems wierd climate control doesnt work better. even on auto it sucks.
Ditto on the climate control. I have actually followed the lead of an older lady in my town who drives a PT Cruiser, she always has the sunroof vented open. That way with the heat on she has enough cold air coming in to mix and make the right level of warmth. I have been doing this as well and it works great. It does suck though that there is no perfect in between with the climate control.

As for the A/C, it shouldn't be creating any burning smell. My heater made that smell for the first week or so when the car was really warm. Then it stopped and I haven't smelled it since.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
My car is now making that burning rubber smell when i have the heat on and its pretty bad and sometime the car idles funny. any ideas?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts