Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 07 charger lowered on Eibach springs, Koni STR-T shocks and struts with eibach upper control arms. I have been experiencing the steering wheel feeling stiff at times when I go to turn around for instance, almost like it locks up, but most of the time, it steers pretty nice. Any ideas on what may be the problem? Power steering fluid is up to par.

·
Vendor
10,364 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Have you changed out your power steering in the past?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, may be part of the problem. Going to have it checked out soon

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much does the Quantam blue products cost for this?

·
Vendor
10,364 Posts
how much does the Quantam blue products cost for this?
Chad,

The Special Price for forum members is still in effect here so $37.41 for the 2 quarts of steering system fluid/flush + the 4 oz QB catalyst.

Best $38.00 you ever spent on your car!:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
94 Posts
Did you have it aligned after lowering it? If so, what did your castor numbers look like? You may have to much castor, which is why you have the heavy steering feel.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did have it aligned, can't remember the numbers off the top of my head. Thinking I may try the QB system and go from there, after I pay a couple bills of course

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wonder if my Eibach control arms would have anything to do with it? Almost tempted to go back to stock control arms, Moog replacements at least, and get it re aligned

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
No, may be part of the problem. Going to have it checked out soon
Might be the fluid is too old, I change mine out every 50K miles and haven't had a problem. Hope you find a fix! :beerchug:

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Might be the fluid is too old, I change mine out every 50K miles and haven't had a problem. Hope you find a fix! :beerchug:
yeah my car has over 110k on the clock, I'm sure it could use a change lol.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Chad,

The Special Price for forum members is still in effect here so $37.41 for the 2 quarts of steering system fluid/flush + the 4 oz QB catalyst.

Best $38.00 you ever spent on your car!:beerchug:

Regards,

Brian

440-821-9040

www.bndautomotive.com

I started with the Power Steering and QB oil. two years later and my Beast runs better than when I first got it! My Charger is fully QB'd out and I couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just took the plunge and ordered the QB products!

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I was just thinking how fluid the steering in my charger still is with QBs PS fluid and catalyst!
I still have 2oz of the catalyst left... I dont think i need another ps change but maybe next year will do another fluid change.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
still going to make an appointment with the dealership, they take good care of me. would any of my new suspension components be any problem? I have Eibach springs,Koni shocks and eibach control arms. on 20" Challenger replicas, 245/45/20 tires, soon to be changed out to my stock 17's for the fall and winter months. I'm almost tempted to go back to my stock springs and some stock upper control arms

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
It's possible your new steering/suspension geometry is causing some binding and it's definitely worth having it checked out. Make sure they do it "free" (on the lift) and "loaded" (on the ground).

It might also be worth having the alignment checked again.

Also check whether the stiffness occurs across the full range of travel or only at the extremes. The 20" wheels and harsh alignment settings of your set up will cause stiffness as you approach the end of steering travel in either direction just like the SRT does.

My SRT does not like hard slow turns from the factory (they're all like that). The steering gets stiff and the front wheels will jump and pop on gravel if turned too hard. Backing out of a parking space requires using only about half of the full travel to get smooth turning at slow speed.

·
Vendor
10,364 Posts
It's possible your new steering/suspension geometry is causing some binding and it's definitely worth having it checked out. Make sure they do it "free" (on the lift) and "loaded" (on the ground).

It might also be worth having the alignment checked again.

Also check whether the stiffness occurs across the full range of travel or only at the extremes. The 20" wheels and harsh alignment settings of your set up will cause stiffness as you approach the end of steering travel in either direction just like the SRT does.

My SRT does not like hard slow turns from the factory (they're all like that). The steering gets stiff and the front wheels will jump and pop on gravel if turned too hard. Backing out of a parking space requires using only about half of the full travel to get smooth turning at slow speed.
This is what we discussed when we were on the phone together. What the fluid can do will help and then also look at the geometry.

Great minds think alike etc. Ddaddy.;)

Regards,
Brian.
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just tried to back up my short drive, and the front end about dropped to the ground and wheels cambered in. I think my big problem is my SPC control arms and adjustable ball joint, it may be coming loose and screwing up the camber and caster. Charger will be going back to stock height and stock control arms soon. Not worth it to be low if it causes problems.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
That's a shame, that makes me apprehensive to even put on Mopar stage 1 springs...

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
to be honest, I think it's more the Eibach control arms than anything

1 - 20 of 34 Posts