Charger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some reassuring news - Chrysler and other slow selling brands, like Fiat, will have a chance to succeed with the merge (forming Stellantis). From what I've gathered, all these brands will have access to their sister-brand's platforms, technology, and powertrains. As such, brands like as Chrysler (which right now only has one minivan and an aging sedan) will tack on new models in the coming years.

The most similar product we've had materialize from this in the past was the Dodge Dart and the Chrysler 200, which were essentially rebadged Fiat's. I expect us to see a couple of new models attached to Dodge and Chrysler in the next 2-3 years (if you gather what the news briefings have provided). Dodge wasn't specifically mentioned, but Chrysler was.

Additionally, it's stated that FCA umbrella brands will no longer need to buy CAFE credits from Tesla for failing to meet yearly fuel economy requirements - Peugeot meets MPG requirements with their newer platforms, and as such, can be self sustained without buying Tesla's CAFE credits. For those of you who don't understand what this means - individual vehicles are allowed to fail fuel economy requirements. That's why Hellcat's still exist in 2021. Everything is based on fleet-average, which is the total average fuel economy of an automaker's fleet. Even then, it's still not a black/white scenario, as automakers are also allowed to fail to meet the fleet average. They just have to buy credits, or pay a fine (which FCA has no problem doing). With Peugeot now in the mix, the fleet-average fuel economy for the entire company has been boosted, and they will no longer need to buy credits or pay fines (at least for the foreseeable future).

This also likely means the excessive V8 powertrains at Dodge will live on a while longer, which is arguably their main brand identity right now. Stellantis recognizes each brand's unique identity and wants to preserve them, while also allowing them to grow.

The current union contract states that Charger production is guaranteed to continue in the current form until at least 2024, so I expect the insane products, like the Hellcat's, to be safe at least until the 2025 model-year.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Excellent - so things are looking good in terms of a new refresh for the Charger down the line, then?

The RAM 1500 has been running the 5.7 with a small electric motor for a little while now....maybe we will see something similar for the Charger/Challenger..

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent - so things are looking good in terms of a new refresh for the Charger down the line, then?

The RAM 1500 has been running the 5.7 with a small electric motor for a little while now....maybe we will see something similar for the Charger/Challenger..
A refresh, probably. If I were a betting man... one more light refresh for the current LX Platform, which will take the car to 2025/2026. After that, I would expect an entirely new Charger platform with smaller engines/electrification - and maybe V8 options for higher trim levels. Dodge will probably not discontinue V8 options until Chevrolet and Ford stop offering them. There's still a competition between those brands in the muscle/sport segment, obviously. They all follow each other, to an extent.

Reactions: POWERMAN
1 - 4 of 4 Posts