Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Most likely because you warped the rotors. And of course, you will hear about 500 people tell you on here its because the stock brakes suck and stories of people needing new brakes between 5K and 12K miles on their car.

No, its because people don't know how to use the brakes properly. I have almost 46K miles on my car with the stock brakes because I learned the proper way to setup the brakes (called "bedding" the brakes) and learned the best ways to use the brakes to prevent over heating. I'm willing to bet I can get another 10~12K miles out of them - and I auto-x my car and drive it hard.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

^ Follow the tips on that link to learn how to bed the brakes when you get them replaced (if yours are warped enough to feel it in the steering wheel, they most likely won't be able to be turned back to true and still have enough material to be safe).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I put my 22s on to tight, it started when I took them off. So that would mess up the rotors?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Most likely because you warped the rotors. And of course, you will hear about 500 people tell you on here its because the stock brakes suck and stories of people needing new brakes between 5K and 12K miles on their car.

No, its because people don't know how to use the brakes properly. I have almost 46K miles on my car with the stock brakes because I learned the proper way to setup the brakes (called "bedding" the brakes) and learned the best ways to use the brakes to prevent over heating. I'm willing to bet I can get another 10~12K miles out of them - and I auto-x my car and drive it hard.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

^ Follow the tips on that link to learn how to bed the brakes when you get them replaced (if yours are warped enough to feel it in the steering wheel, they most likely won't be able to be turned back to true and still have enough material to be safe).
I never bedded the rotors I got 3k ago. Would you recommend doing it now? They're OEM replacements.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I've never had a problem with my stock brakes, 14,000 miles and 1.5 years later and they are still fine. Can running the car through a no touch car wash when the brakes are heated up warp the rotors?

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
I never bedded the rotors I got 3k ago. Would you recommend doing it now? They're OEM replacements.
Yes, you can still bed them. I re-bed mine every spring.

I've never had a problem with my stock brakes, 14,000 miles and 1.5 years later and they are still fine. Can running the car through a no touch car wash when the brakes are heated up warp the rotors?
Yes, when the rotors are hot, going thru a carwash or deep puddle could cause them to warp.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Good info Josh (hope you are well!).

The easiest way to warp the discs (sorry...rotors) is to do a lot of hard braking and then sit with the car stationary and the footbrake on. If you are going to brake hard, stop a little short and then gently roll a bit (not through a stop sign!). If you sit there with the pads in hard contact with the discs after a hard brake, the heat sinks in where the pads cover the disc and the rest of the disc cools. This can warp the buggers. If you roll forwards a little, you allow the sides of the disc that were stopped on the pads to become exposed to the air and this helps reduce the risk of warping. If you have done a lot of hard braking, it is best not to have your footbrake on at all and put the beast into park (after rolling a little forward)!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts