Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what might be wrong? I have 29,000 miles on my r/t when im on the highway and im slowing down to get off my exit which is usually at a high speed before I slow down the steering wheel shakes, Does anyone have an idea what that might be?

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Alignment, tie rods, brakes, tires. I know I'm probably getting warm here somewhere. It probably needs looked at but Nick will probably roll in here with his ASE mojo and give you the exact reason for it.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Same thing is happening to me right now so I took it in. I ran over something that took a chunk of my front driver's side tred. My symptom is a shimmy over 70mph not the brake issue you're having but the wear is the same.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
if you have uneven wear.....its probably an outer tie rod....they are JUNK

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
Do you still have stock wheels and tires on your car? I had the problem you described when I first installed the 3mm spacer for my SRT wheels. If the spacer is not centered correctly, it may cause that shaking during hard breaking. Also, abs may cause some vibrations during hard breaking too.

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Mine does the same I assume rotors

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
this is "normal" when you have problems with the rotors / discs.

You need new pair of discs or a repair, if this is not your problem, maybe can be an alignment stuff, but check the front discs.

good luck!

PD: when I drive with a/c on, I feel a very little... mmmm... something in my steering wheel (no shake, but I feel something, like a tiny shake thing or vibration) and I feel it when I brake at the pedal... I read this is "normal", right?

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
the uneven wear is alignment - the shake is most likely brakes.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Could be rotors and tires. My Magnum SXT AWD used to do that and after getting the rotors replaced it did it too...just a little less. Turned out it was also the front tires wearing unevenly also (goddamn conti tires!). It would ride just fine on the highway but when I hit the brakes it was like the front end came unglued! It went away completely after I changed all the tires to Goodyear Response Edge and it drove like a dream after that.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Never heard of tires doing that when braking unless they show a problem under other circumstances.

Had that same problem in my 91 Taurus SHO - warped rotors.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Never heard of tires doing that when braking unless they show a problem under other circumstances.

Had that same problem in my 91 Taurus SHO - warped rotors.
The left front sometimes sounded like I had a wheel bearing going bad when I turned right. Other than that the tires seemed fine until I hit the brakes at highway speed and all hell broke lose in the front end. Replaced the tires and problem solved.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Same problem, different speed

I am getting the same problem when braking, except it occurs when braking from 45 mph down to about 30 mph. Below 30 there is no steering wheel shake and above 45 ditto. THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN BRAKING. The thing is, I just did my 30,000 mile chk at the dealer and they rotated the wheels front to back. I do not remember having this problem until this was done. When I took it back to the dealer, they are now telling me that the 'technician' says it is warped rotors.........

My questions to them are:
Why did it occur only after they rotated and balanced the tires?
Why only at 45mph and not at any other speeds?

Any help would be appreciated.....thanks

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had this too.

I had serious vibration issues when hard braking. I needed new tires due to too many times at the track. When I got new tires they aligned the car and told me it was way out of alignment and showed me the alignment # before and after. Never has been any serious vibration now but I can't say it was the tires or the rotors. I'm sure I need new rotors though as hard as I brake sometimes and these cars are notorious for bad rotors. I would check the alignment. A good alignment never hurts anyway.

·
Registered
122 Posts
With mine it proved to be the tires: Heavy-braking in a slight right-turn at 75-80 would produce a hair-raising shimmy. Replaced the tires at 35,000 and problem has gone away. Incidently the tire wear on the outgoing Eagles looked evenand the alignment proved to be spot-on.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Why did it occur only after they rotated and balanced the tires?
Why only at 45mph and not at any other speeds?

Any help would be appreciated.....thanks
It is possible, but not certain, that over tightening the wheels will cause rotor warpage. It CAN happen with some cars.

45mph is due to the shape of the warpage, resonant frequency, weighting, location, etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts