Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else gets this. From time to time, my steering wheel will shake as if I have a bent wheel or something. I have 22's with 265/35 tires. The wheels have been balanced twice and are not bent. Plus, it doesn't always do it. Just sometimes. One person suggested road surface, but the shaking will come and go on the same road surface. I'm at a loss. The shaking isn't so bad that it impairs my driving ability, I would just rather it didn't shake at all. Could tie-rods be an issue? None of the tires are flat spotted either. A guy I know said his used to do it, but doesn't anymore and he didn't do anything. If anyone's got any answers, please share! Is it just something I have to deal with along with having big wheels?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Four things to check;
1) loose tie rods
2) wheel alignment
3) wheel balance (should do a dynamic load balance)
4) tires (separated belts)

Any of these can cause shaking or vibration. I had to have the tie rods replaced, the wheels aligned, and tires replaced & dynamic balanced before I got rid of all the steering vibrations and shimmy in my SRT-8 @ 21,000 miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Shimmy

I have changed my tires, re-balanced, checked and rechecked. Mine still does it. I am at a loss. keith

Just wondering if anyone else gets this. From time to time, my steering wheel will shake as if I have a bent wheel or something. I have 22's with 265/35 tires. The wheels have been balanced twice and are not bent. Plus, it doesn't always do it. Just sometimes. One person suggested road surface, but the shaking will come and go on the same road surface. I'm at a loss. The shaking isn't so bad that it impairs my driving ability, I would just rather it didn't shake at all. Could tie-rods be an issue? None of the tires are flat spotted either. A guy I know said his used to do it, but doesn't anymore and he didn't do anything. If anyone's got any answers, please share! Is it just something I have to deal with along with having big wheels?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, tie-rods is my next step...atleast have them looked at. Keith, I feel your pain brother. :(

87 Posts
are you hitting the brake when the shaking happens? other than that im at a lost too

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hey Guys,

Something you may want to check out is your tire pressure. I'm in AZ and visit Discount Tire a few times a month to have them adjusted to my liking. I've noticed that most of the time that they reset all pressures to about 25-30 psi, however if you have 20's or bigger you may want to increase to about 40 psi (What I run) now that it's cooler. At the lower pressures you may be feeling the shakes until the tires heat up and increase to the proper psi for your ride. I had this same issue after I went from 18's to 20's and found out that they had all been set to 25-30 psi., just something to consider. If you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself most of the time.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I had a similar problem. It started when I picked up the car from the dealer, new. The car (an R/T) had 304 miles on it. The steering wheel would sometimes vibrate at 60-80 then it wouldn't. I went back to the dealer 4 times. They balanced and rotated the tires. The 3rd and fourth time they replaced each front tire. That was it, Steering wheel shake gone. I think the tires were out of round. They were the goodyears, 18".

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had a similar problem. It started when I picked up the car from the dealer, new. The car (an R/T) had 304 miles on it. The steering wheel would sometimes vibrate at 60-80 then it wouldn't. I went back to the dealer 4 times. They balanced and rotated the tires. The 3rd and fourth time they replaced each front tire. That was it, Steering wheel shake gone. I think the tires were out of round. They were the goodyears, 18".
Yep, sounds like minor flat spotting which you start to notice around those speeds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Shimmy

Mine does it all the time. At 38-39 mph, then again around 60-70 mph. The car did not do it when brand new. At 20,000 miles it was doing it. I replaced the Goodyears with the Michelin Primacy. I am convinced the tires are good, that they are balanced, the rims are not bent. They said they checked the tie rods, said ok. It has to be a bad design since so many of us have this issue. Rotors, axles???It does not start happening when I use the brakes, it just does it by itself. I am about ready to sell it. I love the car other than this issue. Someone said a while back about making sure the clips were off of the hub where the tire and wheel bolt to the car. I was not clear on what they were talking about. Anyone know about this?? I am supprised that since so many of us have this problem, that Dodge does not have some type of info about it. I asked the dealer if they had any other Chargers come in with this problem and they said no. HELPPPPPPP! Keith

Yep, sounds like minor flat spotting which you start to notice around those speeds.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What bolt pattern are your Rims, 5X115 or 5X114.3? 5X115 is the true pattern for the LX, but Some dealers will sell the 5X114.3 for our cars. Although they will fit, they are tighter on the lugs and sometimes cause a vibration. Alot of guys run them with no problem and other guys have had this same issue. Hope that helps and Good luck.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Mine does it all the time. At 38-39 mph, then again around 60-70 mph. The car did not do it when brand new. At 20,000 miles it was doing it. I replaced the Goodyears with the Michelin Primacy. I am convinced the tires are good, that they are balanced, the rims are not bent. They said they checked the tie rods, said ok. It has to be a bad design since so many of us have this issue. Rotors, axles???It does not start happening when I use the brakes, it just does it by itself. I am about ready to sell it. I love the car other than this issue. Someone said a while back about making sure the clips were off of the hub where the tire and wheel bolt to the car. I was not clear on what they were talking about. Anyone know about this?? I am supprised that since so many of us have this problem, that Dodge does not have some type of info about it. I asked the dealer if they had any other Chargers come in with this problem and they said no. HELPPPPPPP! Keith
The clips that they are talking about hold the rotor on. If you take your wheels off, you should see either 2 or 3 silver clips on your lugs that keep the rotor attached. In some cases, these clips keep the wheel from resting flush and will cause serious shake like a bad balance or warped rotor. I pulled mine off after I upgraded to 20's because they would not set flush with them on. See if taking them off helps your issue.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
mine did this for about 2 weeks after buying it brand new and then just went away...:grin: it would happened when i would first pickup speed merging onto the hiway

·
Registered
716 Posts
After the dealer replaced the second front tire I went for a ride with the service manager. The whole car just did not seem smooth to me but was definitely better. I was always comparing it to my 03 Durango. The Service Manager suggested I drive one of the demos again. I did, with him. That car (also an R/T) had 3800 miles on it. Mine now had 2200. They drove the same. The service manager suggested that with the independent suspension and the small side wall tires your not going to get a big tire, boat like ride. I think I have to agree with him. Also, I noticed that any vibrations sometimes are due to the road not being smooth for higher speeds. It's almost like the car is trying to jump to the next high spot on the road that are closer together.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Mine shakes at various speeds and unpredictable times. It's annoying. I've tried balancing them several times, had a tie rod replaced and I'm having the alignment checked. Ingall's Engineering is testing a stronger, better quality tie rod on my car right now. Hopefully, they will solve our weak tie rod issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK, thanks for the information. I will check for the clips and remove. Are the clips just of part of the assembly process and they should have taken them off?

Also, I do not know what bolt patterns the wheels are. They are the factory R/T 18 wheels.

I am beginnging to think we should start a list of "who has the 35-40 and 60-70 mph shimmy". We might be able to convince the dealers to resolve the problems instead of all of us trying to fix it ourselves. This really bugs me. A wheel shimmy is really a pet peeve of mine. If I can not get this fixed I am seriously thinking of trading it in for a different brand. I was even thinking of buying the Challenger when it come out, but now i am having second thoughts. Keith

The clips that they are talking about hold the rotor on. If you take your wheels off, you should see either 2 or 3 silver clips on your lugs that keep the rotor attached. In some cases, these clips keep the wheel from resting flush and will cause serious shake like a bad balance or warped rotor. I pulled mine off after I upgraded to 20's because they would not set flush with them on. See if taking them off helps your issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I hate wheel shimmy too.. I might as well be driving a Ford Aerostar if it is going to shake my watch of my wrist! I had the same problem with my 22's and I ended up taking it to a Big O with a tech who just happened to have a Daytona on 20's so he knew exactly what my issue was. For my car it was the hubcentric rings which help the rims match up to the stock assembly. He also road balanced the tires and rims and after he was done with that the car was good as new. Unfortunately now the wheel is starting to shimmy when I slow down... not cool! Looks like its time for a trip to the dealer. Does anyone know if the rotors would be covered under warranty at 28,000 miles if they are warped or bent in any way?

·
Registered
448 Posts
OK, thanks for the information. I will check for the clips and remove. Are the clips just of part of the assembly process and they should have taken them off?

Also, I do not know what bolt patterns the wheels are. They are the factory R/T 18 wheels.

I am beginnging to think we should start a list of "who has the 35-40 and 60-70 mph shimmy". We might be able to convince the dealers to resolve the problems instead of all of us trying to fix it ourselves. This really bugs me. A wheel shimmy is really a pet peeve of mine. If I can not get this fixed I am seriously thinking of trading it in for a different brand. I was even thinking of buying the Challenger when it come out, but now i am having second thoughts. Keith
No problem, hope it does help you out. The clips are just apart of the assembly process and really should have been taken off. That's what we have lug nutts for... :grin:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Shimmy and clips

No problem, hope it does help you out. The clips are just apart of the assembly process and really should have been taken off. That's what we have lug nutts for... :grin:
Thanks for the help. I will report what i find. Keith

·
Registered
479 Posts
is it a shake or a wobble? i used to tell the tech it was a shake but in actuality it was a wobble. Mine occured after they droped the rear end to put in the new gaskets for fluid from transmission issue. Tires have been checked wheels as well (forced balanced, run-out check, rotors, axles etc... nothing found! I am at a lost usually happensa round 35-40 mph but also come and goes.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Your rims could be warped a little. Which means a rim could not be 360 degress true. This will cause wheel hop, which makes your steering wheel shake. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts