Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be doing an aftermarket stereo installation, so I avoided spending extra $ on the various sound groups and electronics convenience packages, hoping for as little integration with the car computer as possible (thus, few complications.) However, it would be neat to have steering wheel controls for volume, track changes, etc.

Assuming there was a suitable interface module (and I don't know that there is, but if anyone knows, holler).... Would I be able to have steering wheel controls installed at my Dodge dealer? I wouldn't necessarily want them integrated into the system, I'd rather just have them there so my stereo installer can interface them. Or is the steering wheel with the controls a separate part? I don't know how expensive it'd be.

Otherwise, I guess I'll have to use a steering-wheel mounted IR remote, not as classy but it'll get the job done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why go to all that trouble and just order or buy one in stock with the package. I do not vision that it is all pre-wired, and if it was, no other radio would interface with it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I kinda went into that in my original post. I'm doing aftermarket stereo mods (putting an in-dash MP3 player, adding speakers, etc.) and I've read that troubles with installs go up as you add the premium components. I also didn't care about the EVIC or any of the other stuff, so I'd be basically paying $1000 for the steering wheel controls only, which wasn't worth it.

I don't need it to be pre-wired, I just need a way to interface it to my head unit. I read on the LX forums that there's a company working on that.

·
Registered
953 Posts
look out, there is some engine info run through your radio
there are some threads on it

·
Registered
879 Posts
I wish it was a matter of just the 600 dollars. Most chargers that came with that equipped had several other features I didn't want (ie. rear entertainment). If I had to do it again.... I think I still wouldn't get it. :D I don't know, if it cost 600 still to install I'd go for it. Anymore than that and no thanks. I'll reach over and change the volume/channel.

Would the steering wheel controls have an control over the navigation system? I don't think so, but if it did that would be a nice little incentive.

Someone should do this mod though. I'd really like to see if it can be done and for how much.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
i wrote to dcx about a year ago about this, they where very clear with their answer... NO

·
Registered
102 Posts
You will need PAC harness C2R-CHY which is the CAN bus interface which would control the stock amp, etc... then if you have steering wheel controls, you'd need PAC harness SWI-CAN, along with a third PAC harness for you specific stereo brand. Those are SWI-X, SWI-ALP, SWI-PS, or SWI-ECL.

The factory amp is a two channel unit, and the fader is controlled by data sending from the stock head unit. When you install an aftermarket head unit and keep the stock amp, using C2R-CHY, the front speaker outputs of the new head unit are connected to the rear speaker inputs of the car via the harness, which sets the fade to center by default. So unless you bypass the stock amp, you will not be able to fade between front and rear.

I installed a Kenwood DVD/NAV unit a week or so ago and everything works
great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts