Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 charger with the 3.6. The problem we are having is with the steering when we turn left from a stop sign or any time turning left. It has a growl noise. We have taken it to the dealer twice now. The first time they said it was the steering gear so they replaced it. It still makes the sound. The second time they said they bled the system and it still does it. Sounds like to me it is the pump. Is that possible and why can't they fix it. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem. It was in warranty when they looked at it and now I am out by 500 miles and climbing. I am going to call them again and tell them it still does it. I hope they will still honor the warranty since they have been working on it when it was still in warranty. This has been going on for about 3 weeks now. Any info would be great. Thanks
Kenj66

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hmm that sounds strange. Would you happen to have a video of the noise your describing? And this isn't the squeak you hear when turning the wheel back and forth on the '11 and up Chargers, is it? Mine does that squeak and I think it's because the system is partially electric. I hope someone can help you on this. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. No it is not a squeak noise. It only does it on left turns like parking lot turns. You can also feel a little resistance while it is doing this also. It is driving me crazy. The dealer purged the system and said it should go away but it hasn't yet. I think they are nuts. Lol. Hard to get a video of it caus it only does it while I am moving at slow speed. Never does it while setting still and moving wheel back and forth.

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
I have a 2012 charger with the 3.6. The problem we are having is with the steering when we turn left from a stop sign or any time turning left. It has a growl noise. We have taken it to the dealer twice now. The first time they said it was the steering gear so they replaced it. It still makes the sound. The second time they said they bled the system and it still does it. Sounds like to me it is the pump. Is that possible and why can't they fix it. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem. It was in warranty when they looked at it and now I am out by 500 miles and climbing. I am going to call them again and tell them it still does it. I hope they will still honor the warranty since they have been working on it when it was still in warranty. This has been going on for about 3 weeks now. Any info would be great. Thanks
Kenj66
Ken,

We have been aware of the noise that these systems create as they are electro-hydraulic. Where the previous systems were completely hydraulic with 1.5 quarts of fluid in them, the electro-hydraulic systems have just about 16 oz of fluid in it. The system is still hydraulic but electrically assisted. The centering bushing in the rack tends to bind and cause the pump groan or whine.

We replace the fluid with our QuantumBlue Electro-Hydraulic System Fluid and introduce the QuantumBlue Steering System Lubricant Catalyst to the system at the same time which greatly reduces the internal friction and pump pressures internally so that it quiets down and is more responsive while increasing the life of the system. The electric pump and module is over 1000.00 to replace and the rack is just over $600.00 so not cheap to replace!

We can help you even if you can't get any help from the OEM/Dealership!:bigthumb:

Here is something I wrote about awhile back on the system:

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159701&highlight=electro+hydraulic

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well put it in shop again this week. They replace the rack and other parts. Then they were really confused cause it didn't fix it. So they kept it over night to look at it some more. After they exhausted all there options they called the dodge help line and they said they have heard of this problem on some other vehicles. They said the pump runs out of fluid while turning and gets air in it. So they told them to add a little more fluid to cominsate for the difference while turning. My wife said so far so good. No noise. Today will be the test she is going on a road trip to St. Louis. I hope this works and I hope this can help someone else out there.

·
Registered
848 Posts
If the noise returns, it sounds like it will be the power steering pump.

I jacked up my pump last winter which caused groaning in either direction of turn. Bought a remanufactured pump as it was a 1/3 the price of a rack and pinion, ontop of easier to replace at the user level. Replaced it and all issues went away.

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
If the noise returns, it sounds like it will be the power steering pump.

I jacked up my pump last winter which caused groaning in either direction of turn. Bought a remanufactured pump as it was a 1/3 the price of a rack and pinion, ontop of easier to replace at the user level. Replaced it and all issues went away.
Hriv,

His is different than yours. He has the electronic pump and module set up.

The pump/module is over 1000.00 to replace and the rack is 614.00.

It is on the rack itself and not like pre 2011 cars are.

They have just over 16 oz of fluid in the whole system.

The thing I don't like about the new system is that it doesn't have enough fluid to dissipate the heat very well and causes separation and aeriation.

I have talked to a lot of 2011 and up non SRT cars and they have had spotty success with the factory materials. Most have replaced it with our fluid and QB lubricant catalyst. :bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well she has went all weekend driving it around and no more noise. Man they did a lot of different things to it just to find out it needed a little more fluid. And they are supposed to be the professionals. O well maybe this will help some one out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts