Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about putting a set of snow tires on my SXT for the winter (up here in the frozen north :santa: ) and haven't found anyone who was a cheap set of steel rims for the either the 06 Charger, Magnum, or 300.

I don't want road salt corroding my chrome 18" wheels.

I could put a set of factory alloy wheels on. There a sets available for about $400 (including shipping) out on ebay, but I want just something inexpensive to get me through the winter slush. :cry:

Anyone know where I can find 17" or 18" steel?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know this is going to sound like heresy, but have you considered a junk / salvage yard? You could possibly pick up wheels off a totalled 300 that you would not feel bad putting on your car at a more reasonable price. I'm glad that I don't have to worry about that snow stuff since I moved to FL :)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DoctorNo said:
I know this is going to sound like heresy, but have you considered a junk / salvage yard? You could possibly pick up wheels off a totalled 300 that you would not feel bad putting on your car at a more reasonable price. I'm glad that I don't have to worry about that snow stuff since I moved to FL :)

That's a good idea!! Thanks

Although living in Chicago, I have come to learn that most salvage yard operators are scam artists. I may head out to the burbs or into Wisconsin where the honest folks are. :whistle:

·
Registered
194 Posts
once I find some rims for my car I will probablt be willing to sell my steel wheels. I will let you know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The cop package has steel wheels, I just don't know how to get them yet...

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I would bet there are 17" steelies on eBay from SE guys who bought aftermarket wheels. Worth a look.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am working through my Parts Dept at the dealership I got my RT to get me 4 Steel Wheels from a Cop Charger. I will be doing the Rims for the winter up here as well. I think that with the original badge set that I have it will look great with the dog dish hubcaps. Old School meets New School

·
Registered
384 Posts
lammy said:
I am working through my Parts Dept at the dealership I got my RT to get me 4 Steel Wheels from a Cop Charger. I will be doing the Rims for the winter up here as well. I think that with the original badge set that I have it will look great with the dog dish hubcaps. Old School meets New School
whats the price?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your suggestions :happy: !

I was able to purchase a set of take-off 17" steelies off e-bay. They're off a 2005 Magnum (same as whats on the SE) & come with the caps, and a set of Goodyear Integrity tires with 10 miles on them.

All for only $330 (including shipping), or $82.50 a wheel.

This fall, I'll throw some snow tires on em a wait to see what it feels like to be rear wheel drivin in the winter! :eek:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Re: Snow Tires???

I haven't driven a RWD car in ages. With the newer weight distributions, better tires, and stability control do you think it's necessary to consider snow tires when buying a Charger?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I haven't driven a RWD car in ages. With the newer weight distributions, better tires, and stability control do you think it's necessary to consider snow tires when buying a Charger?
Well, my neighbor has a Magnum R/T and never had snows on them,but alot of my 300 customers told me the car is horrible in the snow,with or without them. I hope my Charger will be decent in the snow,or my wife will kill me! :lol: . I told her it will be fine when I bought it, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Snow Tires???

jrourke said:

I see you are from IL too.......

I don't think I would put snow tires on if I were only going to drive in, and around, the Chicago area. But I have a little cabin in rural SW Wisconsin where the snow plows only get around once a week (if that) on some of the back roads.

In my mind, it is better to be safe than sorry! :neutral:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts