Charger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my R/T for a few months now. I love it! I use it as a daily driver to work and I dont work to close to home. After i put on about 500 miles, i was just pulling in town after about an hour drive, came to a stop and the car just shut off! All the electrical was fine, radio on, blower still on, gage lights one, but the only syptamatic light was the oil pressure light on in red.

I didnt know what to do, so i turned key off, put in park and started up again. Everything seemed fine. I checke the oil pressure through the computer and it read about 17psi ( i read the other thread about low pressure, i thought it was a problem at first, but so many others mentioned it to, so i didnt think this was a concern).

Ran fine for months. Now just the other day with about 6700 miles on it, it did it again, came to a stop and it stalled out, but this time the motor was cold, just leaving in the morning. And even worse, it would start back up for about ten minutes, now it seems to be running fine again.

Not sure what to do, dealer has no idea what it is, any one else having this problem?? Just curious before i bring in my charger and they rip out the motor to replace the oil pump and/or sensor or whatever!

·
Registered
322 Posts
- I have not had this problem in my Charger.

- If there was some sort of a "Failure" event, then it should be in the onboard computer - and the Dealer should be able to read that error code. Though, sometimes (or at least years ago) the error codes could be misleading - Years ago ('91) I had a Dodge Shadow that would stall like you mentioned and the dealer kept reading the error codes after all of their unsuccessful attempts to fix the issue (replacing the fuel pump, the spark control computer and one other thing). In the end, I ended up finding the problem - it turned out to be a bad wire in the ignition wiring harness - The wire would heat up and then seperate - sometimes though, it would do it when it was cold. After replacing the wiring harness, I never had the problem again.

- Also, I believe somebody had posted a way to get the error codes from the Vehicle information center.

- On the Chrysler products that I owned in the past, you could perform a "sequence" and then have the car flash the error code to you through the (I believe it was) the oil light. Then you could look them up in a "Chiltons" style manual.

Brian T.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
BCU888 said:
Ive had my R/T for a few months now. I love it! I use it as a daily driver to work and I dont work to close to home. After i put on about 500 miles, i was just pulling in town after about an hour drive, came to a stop and the car just shut off! All the electrical was fine, radio on, blower still on, gage lights one, but the only syptamatic light was the oil pressure light on in red.

I didnt know what to do, so i turned key off, put in park and started up again. Everything seemed fine. I checke the oil pressure through the computer and it read about 17psi ( i read the other thread about low pressure, i thought it was a problem at first, but so many others mentioned it to, so i didnt think this was a concern).

Ran fine for months. Now just the other day with about 6700 miles on it, it did it again, came to a stop and it stalled out, but this time the motor was cold, just leaving in the morning. And even worse, it would start back up for about ten minutes, now it seems to be running fine again.

Not sure what to do, dealer has no idea what it is, any one else having this problem?? Just curious before i bring in my charger and they rip out the motor to replace the oil pump and/or sensor or whatever!
This just happened to me the other day. I thought it was just because I was being stupid trying to go 70mph around a turn. Had a green light and turned left in front of traffic because I knew I could make it. Well as it goes good thing I was going fast, I was able to pop it in nuetral and coast across the intersection. Then started it again in N. Nothing since but trust me one more time and it will go in service. Also I got the same thing Low oil pressure. I checked my oil and the level was good. When I checked my on board cluster diognostics it said low oil and I think the number was 814. Not sure about the number but it did say Low oil.

How to check your Cluster diognostics system. Hold down the music note and the N with a circle around it on your steering wheel until the screen changes below your speedometer. Then you can scroll threw the menu with your up and down arrows. Do it with the engine on or off. To exit CDS just press the circled N button again and it will bring you back to your compass screen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks guys, i will check the diagnostics first like you said, and see if anything comes up. Otherwise shes definitely gonna visit the dealer!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts