Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
US ends probe of Chrysler engine stalling

Feb 14, 9:03 AM (ET)

DETROIT (AP) - The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has closed an investigation into engine stalling in some Chrysler cars after the company extended the fuel tank warranty.

The probe covered nearly 154,000 Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Dodge Magnum cars from 2006. The cars have 5.7-liter or 6.1-liter V8 engines.

Investigators checked more than 1,200 complaints and found 299 in which the fuel system allowed gas tanks to be over-filled. That caused the cars to stall when stopped or at low speeds.

The problem was traced to a fuel shut-off device that can stick open when exposed to high-ethanol gasoline. Chrysler updated the part in new cars and guaranteed it for life in cars now on the road.

The agency said Friday that the problem is a low risk to safety.

Reactions: hjriveraRT

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Wait, so if my car ever suffers the overfill leading to the tanks becoming useless, ever, its covered?

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
I sure wish that covered the problematic ball-valve in the RAM fuel tanks! Look for "fuel overflow" on any Dodge Truck forum! IF the previous owner had taken the truck in to get this looked at (under the 3/36 warranty) it would have been fixed free! Me, I'm outa ruck. :(
I can "guesstimate" fairly well how much fuel I need to fill it, so I can do the first 2/3rds or 3/4's using the "lock" tab on the pump. Then I have to stop the flow for a minute, then continue v e r y s l o w l y until the pump shuts off. Otherwise it spews gas all over the ground.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wait, so if my car ever suffers the overfill leading to the tanks becoming useless, ever, its covered?
That's what they say. All existing vehicles on the road with this design issue will be covered for life.

It makes sense since it saves them the cost of recalling all of them and only have to fix the ones that come in for repair. I also suspect that if it's fixed once, it will never need to be fixed again since they have redesigned the part at issue.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From another source...

February 14, 2014 at 8:46 am
Chrysler extends fuel tank warranties on 153,000 older cars
David Shepardson
Detroit News Washington Bureau

Chrysler is extending warranties on fuel tanks in more than 153,000 older vehicles over complaints of engine stalling at low speeds, the government said Friday.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Friday it is ending its investigation into 153,817 2006 Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Magnum vehicles equipped with 5.7L and 6.1L 8-cylinder HEMI engines after receiving nearly 300 reports that the engines may stall refueling when the vehicle is stopped or traveling at low speeds.

The safety agency said the problem didn’t represent a serious risk to auto safety and said Chrysler’s solution was adequate.

NHTSA’s decision came after last month when Chrysler and a supplier developed a solution to the problem and extended lifetime warranty coverage on the vehicles’ fuel tanks, NHTSA disclosed in a document posted Friday.

NHTSA said the multifunction control valve fuel shutoff float integrated into 19-gallon fuel tanks can swell in a stuck open position allowing an overfill condition.

“This condition causes fuel to enter into the purge line which may result in engine stall after refueling. Chrysler's investigation determined that the problem was related to dimensional changes/swelling of the float when exposed to fuels with high ethanol content,” NHTSA said. “Chrysler and its supplier, Stant, developed new fuel soak test requirements to address the condition and extended the warranty period on 19-gallon fuel tanks to lifetime coverage.”

NHTSA said there were 299 unique reports indicating that the fuel system allowed an overfill condition after refueling, and the predominant failure mode identified involved stalling when stopped or traveling at low speeds.

“The condition that is causing the majority of stalling incidents in the subject vehicles occurs at a stop or low speed and allows the vehicle to be restarted immediately. The condition represents a low risk to motor vehicle safety and is adequately addressed by Chrysler's extended warranty,” NHTSA said.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
This is why I always recommend people file complaints with NHTSA. Enough complaints come in and they start an investigation. Nothing gets an OEM more "excited", than the NHTSA knocking at their door saying, we think there's a problem here.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think dealers will do anything unless you are having the stalling problem. I also expect it will take a while for this to filter down to the dealers to know how to make the warranty claim if you are having the issue.

I'm waiting to see how much push back from Chrysler there will be to replicate the issue before doing the repair. For a lot of folks it doesn't happen every time and then only after fill-up. That makes it hard to replicate.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
No joy today...

After reading the above, I made an appointment on Saturday (2/15) for this morning to get it taken care of, even took the generic (no customer name, no address) Chrysler letter stating the lifetime warranty on the 2006 300/Charger/Magnum fuel tanks, but nobody (dealership) knows anything about it. Same story at Chrysler/Mopar care, nothing in their database either. Chrysler/Mopar care representative did say if I wanted to get it diagnosed and fixed to save all the receipts for "possible" reimbursement down the line should Chrysler decide to do something about the fuel tanks. I guess I'm waiting a while longer...

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
After reading the above, I made an appointment on Saturday (2/15) for this morning to get it taken care of, even took the generic (no customer name, no address) Chrysler letter stating the lifetime warranty on the 2006 300/Charger/Magnum fuel tanks, but nobody (dealership) knows anything about it. Same story at Chrysler/Mopar care, nothing in their database either. Chrysler/Mopar care representative did say if I wanted to get it diagnosed and fixed to save all the receipts for "possible" reimbursement down the line should Chrysler decide to do something about the fuel tanks. I guess I'm waiting a while longer...
What did it say in the first paragraph of this generic letter? Where did you get it?

There's nothing been "officially" announced by Chrysler yet. We will send letters to owners (of record) of affected vehicles, and those letters will have the VIN specified.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
The owner's letter (draft) from Chrysler

What did it say in the first paragraph of this generic letter? Where did you get it?

There's nothing been "officially" announced by Chrysler yet. We will send letters to owners (of record) of affected vehicles, and those letters will have the VIN specified.

I was trying to beat the rush. As for the letter/document (OTHER - CHRYSLER OWNER LETTER * 02/14/2014 * p), it looks like a draft with the important items outlined with the variable information to be filled in later.

I forgot how I initially got there, but I had saved it to my computer. I Googled the file name and came up with the link below.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM450078/INOT-PE13016-58863.pdf

·
Registered
126 Posts
Can I get my VIN associated to me and my address? I signed up for my garage but half the time my charger doesnt even show up there.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I would like to know this too. I bought my 06 used in Jan. 2013.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you have had your car into the dealer for service, your VIN and address are updated. When I moved from PA from TN, I automatically started getting Chrysler notifications at this address after I went to the dealer. It's how I got the cooling fan replacement notification.

You can call your dealer and ask if they have you in their system, what your current file information is and ask them to update it as needed. Otherwise you can contact Chrysler customer service and ask them to do it for you.

You can also try dodge.com and then look under the "for owners" section to do it yourself.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Wait, does this mean I can take my Charger in and have this work done???

I've been dealing with this stalling issue for the past several months. If this issue gets resolved, my bald ass just might grow hair again!

1 - 20 of 219 Posts