Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DETROIT - U.S. auto safety regulators are investigating complaints that the engines in three Chrysler models can stall without warning.
The probe covers more than 192,000 Chrysler 300C luxury cars, Dodge Charger muscle cars and Dodge Magnum wagons from the 2006 model year. The cars have 5.7-liter or 6.1-liter V-8 engines.
The agency says it has 54 complaints from owners that engines stalled while the cars were being driven. In all cases the stalling happened after the cars were refueled. Forty-eight of the owners said they had several stalling incidents, and seven said they had trouble restarting the cars.
The agency says the number of complaints has increased, with half coming in the last eight months.
Investigators will check how often the problem happens and determine if a recall is needed.

SOURCE:
http://www.clickondetroit.com/money...ear/-/2318858/20138370/-/kqjhqwz/-/index.html

I submitted a formal complaint on:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

It would be nice if you have this issue and live in the States to submit yours as well, it might help us with repair cost.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I've actually had it happen many times, and all in the last two months or so. It only happens immediately after refueling, and goes away after driving about five miles to burn off some of the fuel.
What happens is a complete stall if not in motion, such as sitting at the light to leave Wawa. The oil light comes on, engine cuts off, and obvious loss of all belt driven components. The engine will always restart, but it's chuggy for a few miles. Supposing it doesn't die at a stop and I have straight away driving all the way home, it will chug the whole way. Basically, the engine jerks like it's wanting to die.

This problem definitely does exist.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Thanks. I just filed my formal complaint. Your link is broken, but here is a working one.

File a complaint.

I stopped filling up all the way because of this. The final straw that broke the camel's back was the time I stalled in the middle of a busy intersection. I wasn't going to put myself in a dangerous situation like that anymore.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Excellent news!!! I am filing my complaint now!!! I knew I didn't fix this on my own for a reason... I haven't filled my tank in over a year now.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The comments left by people on the news article are funny. People are so naive to the facts of both the problem and the severity.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I think this happened years ago on Durango 4.7l. I had this issue on my 01, but the dealer fixed it. There was some issue with the fuel pump as I recall. I had the car a couple years before this showed up. Once fixed, it never happened again and she is still driving hard.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Wow! I got my gas-tank replaced as a courtesy out of warranty repair last year but I REALLY want to throw this in the face of the ass-hat service manager at Dodge that gave me so much crap for suggesting the gas tank needed replacement.

The thing is, they replaced it with the same (new) gas-tank. I don't think they redesigned it as that would be admitting they knew there was a problem. So if the NTSB determines this is an issue and orders a recall, will Dodge replace all the tanks with the same thing or redesign them first? And if the latter, will mine have to be replaced again? When I got the new tank my thoughts were I will be replacing it again in 5 years. A gas tank should last the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
phew! I used to fill up all the way til one time I stalled and didnt know why... read on here about the filling up makes it stall and rarely ever do I fill up all the way cuz I dont want this to start happening to me...
good thing they are looking into it, however it says just the 2006 year...

·
Registered
826 Posts
Back with our Durango, it was some sort of temperature/vacuum issue. It was happening on hot days after a tank fill of nice cool petrol.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
phew! I used to fill up all the way til one time I stalled and didnt know why... read on here about the filling up makes it stall and rarely ever do I fill up all the way cuz I dont want this to start happening to me...
good thing they are looking into it, however it says just the 2006 year...
Please file a complaint if you ever had this happened to you no matter what model year. US DOT is looking into this and the more data they receive the better for us.
I corrected the link in my original post, sorry about that. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

·
Registered
626 Posts
Wow! I got my gas-tank replaced as a courtesy out of warranty repair last year but I REALLY want to throw this in the face of the ass-hat service manager at Dodge that gave me so much crap for suggesting the gas tank needed replacement.

The thing is, they replaced it with the same (new) gas-tank. I don't think they redesigned it as that would be admitting they knew there was a problem. So if the NTSB determines this is an issue and orders a recall, will Dodge replace all the tanks with the same thing or redesign them first? And if the latter, will mine have to be replaced again? When I got the new tank my thoughts were I will be replacing it again in 5 years. A gas tank should last the life of the vehicle.
While it may have have looked similar in appearance, the tanks have been superceded several times. Your's in particular (19 gallon) had an original part # of 5135172AB. 4 supercessions later, current part # is 68051891AA. They will investigate with Chrysler what the clean point is for the tanks.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't want this issue to be ignored, so please anyone and everyone with no matter what model year vehicle you own, if you have had this issue occur, please submit your complaint, the more they get the better chances are for help to repair. Please spread the word to friends and other forums (I have the LXForums on board already).
It's free and only takes a few minutes to complete the on-line form.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Even though my issue is fixed, I went ahead and filed a report with ntsa.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Similar article: http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-chrysler-engine-stalls-20130514,0,2347929.story

By Ronald D. White
May 14, 2013, 9:41 a.m.
The federal Office of Defects Investigation is probing complaints of sudden engine stalls in approximately 192,000 model year 2006 Chrysler 300C luxury sedans, Dodge Charger sports cars and Dodge Magnum wagons.

All of the related complaints about stalls that have been filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administrationinvolve cars that were equipped with either the 5.7-liter or the 6.1-liter HEMI engines.

Several of the drivers who have filed complaints reported multiple stall incidents, according to documents filed with NHTSA.

There have been no reports of accidents or injuries associated with the stalls.

Chrysler said it is cooperating with the investigation and advised owners to contact their dealers if they suspect they have a problem.

The complaints say the stalls occurred after refueling at gas stations.

"The complaints show an apparent increasing trend," federal documents said, "with over 50% received within the past eight months."

Drivers who suspect they may have the problem can go towww-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints and check whether their vehicle identification number is on the list.

NHTSA said a preliminary investigation has been opened "to assess the scope, frequency and potential consequences associated with the alleged defect."

Among the complaints filed by drivers was this account by the owner of a Chrysler 300C:

"Every time the car is filled up with gas, it stalls several times. This can be dangerous as at least once I was getting on a [freeway]."

The owner said he has already been charged almost $500 for a replaced charcoal filter and solenoid and has been told he needs to pay $1,250 for a new gas tank.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
What do I put was afrected, the engine or fuel propulsion? Prob a stupid question but still
Nvm I submitted it already. Glad it is finally being looked into, not that DCX did anything bad, all Ive heard is they've been great about the situation, but it could help some of those that havent had such luck and prevent avoidable accidents. I think the reason that accidents have been avoided is that the consumers that buy these cars are a little more into cars and realize something is wrong before we decide to try n ride out the situation lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 08 dodge charger 3.5 v6 and it died ON me twice but the tank wasn't full and I was going about 5 TO 10 MILES PER HOUR . AND THE CAR JERKS WHEN I TRY TO KEEP IT About 35 to 40 miles per hour ..I don't know if it the transmission shifting up and down or what can anyone help ne with this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
872 Posts
06 RT here and have never experienced this. I fill up and top off at every refill. Wondering if I had a non hangover day build???

Fingers crossed that I didn't just jinx myself........

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
06 RT here and have never experienced this. I fill up and top off at every refill. Wondering if I had a non hangover day build???

Fingers crossed that I didn't just jinx myself........

It isn't a mystery what is causing this and it isn't random. It is an engineering defect in a valve located in the gas tank that prevents liquid gas from making it to the vapor recovery system. When it fails it allows liquid gas to pass which is cycled into the engine and causes the stall.

·
Registered
872 Posts
It isn't a mystery what is causing this and it isn't random. It is an engineering defect in a valve located in the gas tank that prevents liquid gas from making it to the vapor recovery system. When it fails it allows liquid gas to pass which is cycled into the engine and causes the stall.
Never said it was a mystery and I read the TSB.

I just said its NEVER happen to me.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts