Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve put a cam in my charger and upped the idle by 400 and it idles still 900 and won’t die and I put a 93 octane Diablo tune on it and it doesn’t smell like straight unburnt gas now but I’ve tried to hit the gas and it won’t go over 3100 rpm’s but it kinda sounds like it’s running good and kinda drives fine it’s feels like it’s in lymp mode I have a flashing engine light that won’t go away and codes a few codes .any help ?

·
Registered
2012 SRT Charger, 2003 Ram hemi, 2005 Magnum
3,044 Posts
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
So I'm guessing ZERO research went into this other than going on facebook and asking somewhere "what cam should I get?" and everyone answered "sTaGe _"
What cam did you use EXACTLY? "sTaGe 1" doesn't cover it because Comp Cams has a few Stage 1 cams. Until then, in most cases you can't just throw a cam in and expect the stock PCM or even a canned tune to be able to properly run the engine now that you've changed the single biggest factor in HOW the engine runs.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
I was going to say it probably needs a trip to a shop to get a proper tune and not just a preloaded one.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
May not need springs (personally I would upgrade them anyway for piece of mind, 6.1 exhaust springs have the same height) but you DEFINITELY need tuning. You need a custom tune to get that thing to run right.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Trying to run on the stock or a canned tune, the O2 sensors yes. The other two look like things weren't plugged back in or the harness or sensor was damaged.

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
ok thanks but also do you know if those engine codes look normal after a cam upgrade ?
I think one of the things that's trying to be said here is that normally after a cam upgrade you don't have any codes. In my experience, the company providing the cam usually provide a tune designed for it. Then a professional tuner adjusts from that baseline accounting for any other modifications in your car. That's certainly how my experience with my 2008 R/T went. We literally didn't even try to start the engine with the new cam. Tune first.

I defer to HemiLonestar's review that some of the codes may be sensors not plugged in, but in general running a stock tune with a different cam is not a good idea for an engine. One: you're leaving power on the table and two: you're endangering the engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts