Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me appoligize if this is in the wrong section of the forum. I could not find an "EVENTS" section to post this invitation, so the "Performace" section seemed to be the most logical place. If the thread needs to be moved, please do so.

Do we have any Charger drag racers out there? The Georgia Area Super Sport Impala Team (GASSIT) will be putting on the Super Heavy Shootout one more time. SSHS5 will be held at the Atlanta Dragway on Saturday, November 5th, 2005. It is located in Commerce, GA, about an hour northeast of downtown Atlanta. This will most probably be the last one of these events hosted by GASSIT, so mark your calendars.

The event is the premier drag racing and car show event for any American muscle car weighing in at over 3800 lbs. (without driver) and with rear or all-wheel drive. While tradionally an Impala SS, Caprice, Crown Vic, and Lincoln Mark VII event, over the last 2 years, there has been an increasing variety of cars competing at the shootouts. Last year we had several Mecury Marauders and even one Chrysler 300 (a V6 rental car) attend. We'd love to see this trend continue for 2005 and the 300s, Magnums, and Chargers are explicity and cordially invited to our shindig. The welcome mats will be out, so come experience some good ole southern hospitality and great drag racing.

Full details and registration information are available on the official SSHS5 website: http://www.sshs5.com/index.html

I would love to see some of those Hemis run! I will likely be shopping for a Magnum R/T after the 1st of the year - the Charger doesn't work for me because I need room for a wheelchair. Bring your Charger to help convert me to hemi power. :)

I will update this thread with new information as it becomes available and I will be more than happy to answer any of your questions. Please come join us!

Terry

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
So let it be written, so let it be done!!!!! Moved to Southest area, with a redirect back where it was.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GLHS837 said:
So let it be written, so let it be done!!!!! Moved to Southest area, with a redirect back where it was.
Thank you, sir!

BTW - We have a few SSHS5 cars making the trip down from Maryland, at least two from the east side of the bay. If you are interested in joining their convoy down for the event, let me know and I will put you in contact with them.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Heck, only occasionally am I allowed out to play:) And I wont have a car that heavy til next year:) My SRT-4 only weighs in at 3100:) I do apprecitate the offer. If you haven't, you should also post this up on 300cforums.com and lxforums.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GLHS837 said:
Heck, only occasionally am I allowed out to play:) And I wont have a car that heavy til next year:) My SRT-4 only weighs in at 3100:) I do apprecitate the offer. If you haven't, you should also post this up on 300cforums.com and lxforums.com
Thanks. I've already posted the invitation in both forums. It hasn't gotten very much attention there either. :sad: I'm guessing that these cars are still too new and folks are reluctant to race them while they are still under warrantee. We saw the same isue with the Marauders for the first couple of years, but they are starting to come out of their shells now.

BTW - We had a 3400 lb. Lincoln Mark VII last year that carried 400 lbs. of sand to get to the minimum race weight. He still ran a 9.73 1/4 mile at 138 MPH. :eek: You could add sand, but you would have to run in reverse to meet the RWD requirement. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
If it were not for the fact that I will be working 80 hours a week during that part of the year I would be there.
My stock charger RT at my local track, I am #342.

Click picture

·
Registered
6 Posts
LeadSSled said:
BTW - We had a 3400 lb. Lincoln Mark VII last year that carried 400 lbs. of sand to get to the minimum race weight. He still ran a 9.73 1/4 mile at 138 MPH. :eek: You could add sand, but you would have to run in reverse to meet the RWD requirement. :)
So they relax the rules for all loose interior gear removed and all trunk items bolted down? If so, have you considered putting an invite up on www.ls1gto.com? Our GTO's curbweight is around 3725 and there are plenty GA GTO owners that love to go to the track. I'm sure several would throw a couple sandbags in and go.

On another note...are there any Charger owners in the Macon area? I'm thinking of getting one for my wife and the local dealers don't have any in stock. I sure would like to see one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There are two at a dealership in Augusta. Its only about a 2 hr drive! :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Radguy - Nice time slip. If you get some sticky tires to get that 60-foot time down where it belongs, you will be well into the 8's in the 1/8th mile.

kvUSAF - Good question about the "loose objects". I've sent a message to the SSHS5 Technical director asking about it. There were definitely at least one Lincoln and 2 GTOs last year with balast. But I did not see them up close tp know exactly how they did it. When I hear back, I'll post the response here. The Charger curb weight is over 3800 lbs, so it shouldn't be an issue with them.

Concerning the GTO forum - I posted invitations on two of their forums some time back, but there hasn't been a lot of response. We do have a couple of GTOs registered, though. FYI, here is a link to the invitations on the GTO forums:

LS1GTO Forum Invite

GTO Forum Invite

·
Registered
6 Posts
Crap, I spend at least an hour a day on LS1GTO forum and never noticed that thread before. After you get the info back on the balast issue, I'll post it up in the SE section for the goats.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kvUSAF said:
Crap, I spend at least an hour a day on LS1GTO forum and never noticed that thread before. After you get the info back on the balast issue, I'll post it up in the SE section for the goats.
OK, here is the "Official" answer to your question:
"It is their responsibility to inquire with NHRA rules, ie, website, phone, letter, or call the track for that information, GASSIT is not a sanctioning body when it comes to tech inspection."

What I do know is that several cars (GTOs and Lincolns) ran sand for ballast last year. I do not know the intricacies of the tech inspection process - the Atlanta Dragway staff handle that aspect of the event. So I do not know exactly how it was done. I don't know if they just did not add the sandbags until after tech inspection (I'm not endorsing this method) or if there is an NHRA approved way to do it.

Sorry that I can not be more definitive here. I know a guy that ran a GTO last year. I'll see if I can track him down to ask him what he did. If I find out anything, I will PM you the info.

Terry

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just curious:
Who else on the forum has/had a Tri-Nine Impala SS?
Here were my particulars:
NAISSO Regional Group: in process
Automobile: 1995 IMPALA SS (BBB)/milky bumpers

Modifications: UPDATE 7/11/98 FEL PRO GASKET, POLISHED EXHAUST TIPS, HIDDEN GARAGE DOOR OPENER , MOBIL1 / PLATE, K&N CONICAL/ & cylinder ON BRACKET WITH BOX DELETE, SLP POLISHED AIRFOIL, CAVALIER RBT, CUT DECAL: NOTICE USE OVERDRIVE DURING HIGH SPEED PURSUIT (UNDER CLEAR PLASTIC ABOVE SPEEDOMETER). Update8/28/98 SEO oil sending unit with 2x100 Ohm 10W bias resistor. Update 9/15/00 Window fix kit mod. Kenwood 10 CD changer/P.I.E. adaptor for GM cassette head unit/& delay relay (100ma)control relay (30 amp) stack to retain memory while cranking. Passkey bypass $0.50 resistor(saves ~$250+towing).RBT remote entry. UPDATE 9/25/02 Sold April 2002 for $13400 (Gone but not forgotten)

Best 1/4 Mile Time: NEVER RACED

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So how about it? Will any Chargers be making it out to the Southern Super Heavy Shootout? We'd love to meet some of you there and take a closer look at the Hemi Chargers. It's understandable that many with brand new cars still under warranty may not want to race. That's OK too - spectator admission is only 10 bucks. Only 4 more weeks! Pre-registration closes soon. Hope to see you there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts