Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so all of you guys with SRT's.... how many of you drive them in the snow?? if you do, how well do they do? what kinda tires do you use?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Although I have driven in snow it was a white knuckled event. It stays in the garage on snow days now.

If you do decide to drive in the snow I would highly recommend snow tires, not just all season.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
If you have a lot of snow and ice it's like trying to ride a turtle with a jet pack across a frozen pond. :no: Buy winter tires of some sort if it is your only transportation. Pirelli and Vredestein make a tire that fits the stock rims.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
I have not driven mine in snow yet but i'm sure with the right snow tires it would be enuff for me to get home from my 20 mile work commute... I may get an 18 inch tire and wheel package at tirerack or just throw on the 20" tires that Glandiator mentioned above... if all else fails... I have my wifes car

·
Registered
990 Posts
Mine works very well with the 18" ASA AR1's wrapped in Firestone Winterforce tires.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I drove mine the last two winters on stock RSA's. They weren't bad once I got moving. Helps to drive in manual mode during actual snow on the road. I did have to drive twice with small snow falls early March with my Nitto Invos, very bad idea!!! There is no traction whatsoever! So happy to be dun driving in winters. Just picked up winter beater!

Only recomendation is to drive very cautiously and watch out for everyone else. My biggest fear was other drivers.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
I drove mine the last two winters on stock RSA's. They weren't bad once I got moving. Helps to drive in manual mode during actual snow on the road. I did have to drive twice with small snow falls early March with my Nitto Invos, very bad idea!!! There is no traction whatsoever! So happy to be dun driving in winters. Just picked up winter beater!

Only recomendation is to drive very cautiously and watch out for everyone else. My biggest fear was other drivers.
that would be my biggest too:slap:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I drive mine year round. Three winters, so far.

I've never had a traction problem, but snow tires are a must have.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have driven mine through 3 winters. It does just fine with decent all season tires in a few inches of snow. I had the stock RSA's for the first two winters and last year I had Kumho Exsta ASXs. The ESP and Traction Control really help out a lot also.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
so all of you guys with SRT's.... how many of you drive them in the snow?? if you do, how well do they do? what kinda tires do you use?
1. Neither of the stock tires are worth a darn in the snow

2. Where do you live? If you are in areas where you normally get just a few inches when it snows you will be fine with an all-season performance tire like the Avon M550 or such. If you get heavy snow then get a set of 4 Blizzaks or similar dedicated snow tire.

3. Drive sanely

If you follow these simple steps the SRT8 is just fine in the snow. With ESP, good brakes, and excellent throttle modulation this is one of the better cars in the snow.

DISCLAIMER - if you get really deep, unplowed snow over 6 inches you won't have the ground clearance needed so switch to a jeep!

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Oh, one other caveat.

If you are trying to uphill on ice and don't have LSD installed you will have a real tough go.

With ESP on it kills all power and you don't move. With ESP OFF you simply spin one wheel and don't move.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Oh, one other caveat.

If you are trying to uphill on ice and don't have LSD installed you will have a real tough go.

With ESP on it kills all power and you don't move. With ESP OFF you simply spin one wheel and don't move.
so avoid hills:driving::cowsmile:

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I did 2x Michigan winters with my stock Goodyear F1 Supercars without issues. Only problems are deep drifts due to the low front fascia clearance and packed down ice/snow in front of my own driveway. :) Other than that, slow and steady is your friend and the technology built into the car will do its best to keep you going safely.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Yes. I put 3mm spacers from BilletTech on the fronts just to be sure. The rears aren't typically the problem, it's the Brembo's on the front that cause all the issues.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Yes. I put 3mm spacers from BilletTech on the fronts just to be sure. The rears aren't typically the problem, it's the Brembo's on the front that cause all the issues.
do you think the spacers are necessary or is it just peace of mind:cowsmile:

·
Registered
990 Posts
In my case it was purely piece of mind. Since I was picking the car up in early February and driving it home through a snow storm, I wasn't going to take any chances. It "should" fit fine without them, but since I haven't actually mounted them without the spacers, I won't say they will for sure. If it wasn't raining out right now, I'd go put one on and see. Weather looks better for the weekend. If best3185 can hang on until then, I'll have a definitive answer

1 - 20 of 56 Posts