Charger Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I just don't get logic like this. But if it makes you feel better about your SRT8, then go for it. I don't see this as a "win" at all since they are just being governed by the manufacturer due to German laws (M5) or tires (GXP.)

So I guess all R/Ts are really slow then? I mean aren't they limited to 120 MPH or something? That's one slow car!
This is pretty freakin' simple.

The SRT8 is faster stock.

The reason don't excuse a loss.

Race out on the open highway in your G8 and you will lose.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
What I find funny is that this car is always pitted against the SRT8 when it is actually GM's answer to the RT.

Their answer to the SRT is a version not sanctioned for sale in the US. LS3 6.2 liter 425hp 6 speed. And trust me, the damn thing is fast.

Thats why I bought a Chevy as my daily driver. No matter how you cut it, the LS2 is superior to our HEMIs.

Course I dont get defensive at any of this, I own a beautiful HEMI and a beautiful LS2 car.

Best of both worlds. And this only means that US muscle will get better.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The top speeds means nothing either since the GXP is just limited electronically. That's like saying the SRT8 is faster than the M5 since all German cars are limited to 155MPH.

I think the GXP probably beats the SRT8 overall around a track or autocross. That is why I would say it has the performance advantage. That being said, as I said before....no way in hell would I trade my SRT8 for one.
The thing is that the car is what you get, 155 for the top speed, from the specs the SRT hs the ever so slight edge in nearly all things handling. They both hae Brembo Brakes so given that and the time, that's a wash. I also would not expect the 6 speed to be MAYBE .1 quicker to 60 and in the 1/4 mile. THe 6 speed and auto CTS-V and even new Camaros are supposed to be the same. I think it's great that the 3 year old Dodge design is dead nuts with the latest and greatest from Pontiac. Says alot about the aptitude of the platform. When it comes down to it, it's a driver's race everywhere, even in he price LOL.

·
Registered
106 Posts
What I find funny is that this car is always pitted against the SRT8 when it is actually GM's answer to the RT.

Their answer to the SRT is a version not sanctioned for sale in the US. LS3 6.2 liter 425hp 6 speed. And trust me, the damn thing is fast.

Thats why I bought a Chevy as my daily driver. No matter how you cut it, the LS2 is superior to our HEMIs.

Course I dont get defensive at any of this, I own a beautiful HEMI and a beautiful LS2 car.

May want to read the article.... That is the hotter G8 GXP with the 6.2 LS3 they tested with the 415 HP (and fully sanctioned for sell in the USA) , not the lesser G8 GT that is easily squashed by an SRT-8 and dead nuts even in price and performance with an 09 R/T. Reading is your friend ;)

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Their answer to the SRT is a LS3 6.2 liter 425hp 6 speed. And trust me, the damn thing is fast.
Yep, as fast as the SRT8 :bigthumb:. Welcome to the party.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
All I know is if I see a G8 GXP I will have no problem running it. :) Im not stock though. Then again my car in bone stock form was in the 12's at nearly 110 mph. 109.98 to be exact. Its a bit faster now. It runs 12.50's at 114 now on a good day. Bring the GXP on!!!!!!!!! LOL

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
No matter how you cut it, the LS2 is superior to our HEMIs.
The LS2 is definitely NOT superior to the 6.1. And the LS3 only marginally so. The LS3 MAY weigh less, otherwise its a wash. The 6.1 MAY respond better to a race-gas tune as well.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
The LS2 is definately not superior to the 6.1 Hemi. The LS3 I believe is a bit better because it does weigh less and responds to mods ALOT better. I think the LS3 is a little stronger too. Can take more HP before it breaks apart. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
The LS2 is definitely NOT superior to the 6.1. And the LS3 only marginally so. The LS3 MAY weigh less, otherwise its a wash. The 6.1 MAY respond better to a race-gas tune as well.
Ah, but I have (had) a 5.7. so yes, the 6.0 liter is superior. my LS2 car also comes with a 6 speed with better gears. apples to apples my Impala SS (thats what its branded as) is far superior to what my RT was.

Sorry, I JUST now noticed that Im in the SRT8 section, and so when I said OUR you all assumed I was talking 6.1 liter.

As for the 415hp version being tested, like I said, that is an OLD version. The new one (not sold there yet) is a 425hp with a better tranny and a few hundred pounds lighter. Ive seen this thing eat SRT8s off the line AND on the highway.

My solace, and the reason I didnt buy another HEMI as my daily driver now, is that I was told by a buddy at the dealer that the LX cars are being completely redone in the next year or 2. and to expect ALOT more.

That I cant wait for.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Ah, but I have (had) a 5.7. so yes, the 6.0 liter is superior. my LS2 car also comes with a 6 speed with better gears. apples to apples my Impala SS (thats what its branded as) is far superior to what my RT was.

Sorry, I JUST now noticed that Im in the SRT8 section, and so when I said OUR you all assumed I was talking 6.1 liter.

As for the 415hp version being tested, like I said, that is an OLD version. The new one (not sold there yet) is a 425hp with a better tranny and a few hundred pounds lighter. Ive seen this thing eat SRT8s off the line AND on the highway.

My solace, and the reason I didnt buy another HEMI as my daily driver now, is that I was told by a buddy at the dealer that the LX cars are being completely redone in the next year or 2. and to expect ALOT more.

That I cant wait for.

Hey Ultra.......Your right about the upgraded srt...I can't wait either!!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
10,177 Posts

You are clueless.

The GXP is an exact competitor for the SRT8 and they are just about even everywhere.

The GT is a close match with the new, upgraded R/T.

Forget about defensive, why don't you try knowledgeable?

·
Registered
10,177 Posts

That I cant wait for.

Blah Blah Blah

Both cars were tested and the LS3 was only a couple tenths faster despite being in a car almost 200 pounds lighter and having a much better transmission than the decade old garbage our cars are saddled with.

It is very debatable whether the LS3 is a stronger than the 6.1 - in fact, in this example it wasn't. Knock 200 pounds off the SRT8 and add in a better tranny and it would be at worst a draw.

·
Registered
106 Posts

That I cant wait for.
I think you are imagining things, the GXP is the exact same same car as the top end Hokden and Vvaxhaul versions. If it is 200 poounds lighter than the GXP it must be in a totally different and smaller car, I think mit's called the Corvette (thogh that is actually 800 pounds lighter)....

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
The LS2 is definately not superior to the 6.1 Hemi. The LS3 I believe is a bit better because it does weigh less and responds to mods ALOT better. I think the LS3 is a little stronger too. Can take more HP before it breaks apart. LOL
Need data for bolt-ons/tune hp increases to say it responds better.

That I cant wait for.
Don't expect a big hp increase anymore.

I think you are imagining things, the GXP is the exact same same car as the top end Hokden and Vvaxhaul versions. If it is 200 poounds lighter than the GXP it must be in a totally different and smaller car, I think mit's called the Corvette (thogh that is actually 800 pounds lighter)....
+1

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
This is pretty freakin' simple.

The SRT8 is faster stock.

The reason don't excuse a loss.

Race out on the open highway in your G8 and you will lose.
I don't own a G8, I own an SRT8. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
211 Posts
A simple comparison to how the LS motors respond better to mods than the 6.1 are the following:
Long tube headers on my buddies 2005 LS2 Vette added a good 20 rwhp throughout the rpm range to his car, still on stock heads and cam. Long tube headers on my Magnum with a cam did not add more than 5 or 10 rwhp at most. Same buddy now has a ported intake, headers with h/f cats, catback, ported TB, t-stat, and tune and is making 410rwhp and 400 rwtq. No other work done.

You can go pretty aggressive on an LS2/LS3 cam on stock heads (in the high 220 and 230 int/exh duration range) with only changing the pushrods, retainers and springs. You cannot do that on a stock 6.1 head because of the PTV clearance. Case in point, I had a buddy of mine with a 6.0 GTO that had stock heads and our mods being essentially the same (cam only, headers with h/f cats, CAI, pulley, t-stat, ported intake, ported TB) and his car pulled close to 450 rwhp and 415 rwtq with HP tuners. His cam was in the 230 int/exh duration range and he was still using the stock 2.5" exhaust with Flowmasters welded in. I don't know of many, if any, cam only (suppoting mods above) SRT8 cars making that kind of power. Plus his car pulls to 6500 rpm.

Pretty good proof to me.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
A simple comparison to how the LS motors respond better to mods than the 6.1 are the following:
Long tube headers on my buddies 2005 LS2 Vette added a good 20 rwhp throughout the rpm range to his car, still on stock heads and cam. Long tube headers on my Magnum with a cam did not add more than 5 or 10 rwhp at most. Same buddy now has a ported intake, headers with h/f cats, catback, ported TB, t-stat, and tune and is making 410rwhp and 400 rwtq. No other work done.

You can go pretty aggressive on an LS2/LS3 cam on stock heads (in the high 220 and 230 int/exh duration range) with only changing the pushrods, retainers and springs. You cannot do that on a stock 6.1 head because of the PTV clearance. Case in point, I had a buddy of mine with a 6.0 GTO that had stock heads and our mods being essentially the same (cam only, headers with h/f cats, CAI, pulley, t-stat, ported intake, ported TB) and his car pulled close to 450 rwhp and 415 rwtq with HP tuners. His cam was in the 230 int/exh duration range and he was still using the stock 2.5" exhaust with Flowmasters welded in. I don't know of many, if any, cam only (suppoting mods above) SRT8 cars making that kind of power. Plus his car pulls to 6500 rpm.

Pretty good proof to me.
Good data points, and I thank you for pointing out the reason the SRT-8 cams seem to be rather conservative.

My contention is intake/exhaust/tune the 6.1 seems to compare QUITE well to the LS3.

For instance, I'm at 413rwhp/432rwtq with no porting, STOCK headers and that is with the automatic transmission, long-wheelbase car.

I would like to see an apples to apples comparison myself. An LS3 6A with identical mods by type and a tune vs. a 6.1 5A. Or a 6M Challenger vs. a 6M LS3.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I believe that we will start to see some comparisons once the GXP modding begins. The LS3 is supposed to be a bit more responsive to mods than the LS2 from what I understand though but we should have some comparitive data soon.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts