Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I am not sure but I think I remember hearingit was more trouble that it was worth. Just get the RT one from the dealer for 80 bucks or so

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Easy to mount but no easy to mount right!

This one is a pain in the a$$. I have done it twice. It requires cutting the tabs. Which isn't hard, the hard part is getting the edge to sit correctly. In my opinion the only way to do it right is to remove the bumper and follow the same assembly process as the srt8 tabs and clips. I have tried screws, dbl side tape, glue, rivets. You also have to be careful of the exhaust system your are running if the tips are HOT your gonna melt it. Screws and rivets work but I don't like the look. Adhesive looks the best but I have yet to find one that holds.
THe main problem is the contact area between the bumper and the facia is very small.

(I live so florida hot moister are not Ideal places for curing adhesive.) Go with the R/t one.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
No THANKS! Way Too Much!

I'm glad someone did a write up on it!

Now that's what these Forums are for & about!

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
I'm going to throw out that my experience was pretty darn trivial. I used silicone as an adhesive and it's doing just fine so far. Been about two months, no sign of coming off.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I'm going to throw out that my experience was pretty darn trivial. I used silicone as an adhesive and it's doing just fine so far. Been about two months, no sign of coming off.
Yup.. even though I made a big deal about certain things in my write up it's pretty easy if you follow it.

As far the it coming off... it won't mine has been on more than a year and is as tight as the day I took the tape off it.

Easy to mount but no easy to mount right!

This one is a pain in the a$$. I have done it twice. It requires cutting the tabs. Which isn't hard, the hard part is getting the edge to sit correctly. In my opinion the only way to do it right is to remove the bumper and follow the same assembly process as the srt8 tabs and clips. I have tried screws, dbl side tape, glue, rivets. You also have to be careful of the exhaust system your are running if the tips are HOT your gonna melt it. Screws and rivets work but I don't like the look. Adhesive looks the best but I have yet to find one that holds.
THe main problem is the contact area between the bumper and the facia is very small.

(I live so florida hot moister are not Ideal places for curing adhesive.) Go with the R/t one.
You need to look at my "how to" above and buy what I recommend. RTV silicone actually cures faster in high humidity and hot environments. Making sure your surfaces are super clean and free from wax are an important part of the process.

Let me know if you have any questions I'm more than happy to help you troubleshoot any problems you might have.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Yes you can.. either with silicone or by drilling the bumper
i used silicone

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yup.. even though I made a big deal about certain things in my write up it's pretty easy if you follow it.

As far the it coming off... it won't mine has been on more than a year and is as tight as the day I took the tape off it.

You need to look at my "how to" above and buy what I recommend. RTV silicone actually cures faster in high humidity and hot environments. Making sure your surfaces are super clean and free from wax are an important part of the process.

Let me know if you have any questions I'm more than happy to help you troubleshoot any problems you might have.
I read the how do I do everything. They recommended clear.(so florida? I also avg 40 miles a day 80MPH?)
Cleaned w/ acetone, taped it for 24hrs, it lasted 2 days.

(THE clear slicone adhered to the car and it adhered to the bumper. It separated between the two, which may point to it not curring long enough) MOisture? IDK

I'll try rtv

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I read the how do I do everything. They recommended clear.(so florida? I also avg 40 miles a day 80MPH?)
Cleaned w/ acetone, taped it for 24hrs, it lasted 2 days.

(THE clear slicone adhered to the car and it adhered to the bumper. It separated between the two, which may point to it not curring long enough) MOisture? IDK

I'll try rtv
Hmph... that is odd. Was it the exact kind I spec'd in the write-up?

Were you generous with it?

In addition to the 4 rivets that face the front of the car did you also do the two rivets that face down?

It rained the evening that I did my install. I taped a couple of trash bags over it to keep from getting wet.

Also acetone is a solvent that can dissolve silicone. If you didn't wash the acetone off that you used to clean the surfaces (dish soap should be sufficient) you might have doomed it to fail from the start. Yeah I know acetone evaporates but I'm sure it leaves something behind.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Actually I dont know how i stumbled upon this thread again.

I edned up instaling mine the traditional way via Dremel, And OEM clips. All but 4 are easy to get in. Body rivets are cake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts