Charger Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to posting but here goes. Bought my srt8 in may of '07. I was scheduled for my first oil change from the dealership on 9/13. On 9/12 I had the low oil warning light come on with subsequent "chime". Drove the car a short distance to an auto parts store and checked the dipstick. No oil!! Put 4 quarts of oil in the engine before the dipstick indicated full. Have no leaks on my garage floor and have seen no blue smoke out the exhaust. Took the car to the dealer the next day and they changed oil and checked for leaks. They found none. This makes me very nervous. Where did 4 quarts of oil go in 5300 miles? The dealership put me on an "oil consumption test" meaning bring the car in every 1000 mi to check the oil usage. I'm just sick about this. I may have done permanent damage to a rather pricey engine. It does beg the question: Did I receive a full complement of oil when I drove it out of the showroom? What owner of a brand new car would think of checking the oil immediatley or anytime before your first scheduled change? It's a beautiful car and I love it but dang this is not right! Car knocks from passenger side when going over bumps at slow speed also. 2007 Charger srt8 mopar cai, zoomers cat back, debadged.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
I'm new to posting but here goes. Bought my srt8 in may of '07. I was scheduled for my first oil change from the dealership on 9/13. On 9/12 I had the low oil warning light come on with subsequent "chime". Drove the car a short distance to an auto parts store and checked the dipstick. No oil!! Put 4 quarts of oil in the engine before the dipstick indicated full. Have no leaks on my garage floor and have seen no blue smoke out the exhaust. Took the car to the dealer the next day and they changed oil and checked for leaks. They found none. This makes me very nervous. Where did 4 quarts of oil go in 5300 miles? The dealership put me on an "oil consumption test" meaning bring the car in every 1000 mi to check the oil usage. I'm just sick about this. I may have done permanent damage to a rather pricey engine. It does beg the question: Did I receive a full complement of oil when I drove it out of the showroom? What owner of a brand new car would think of checking the oil immediatley or anytime before your first scheduled change? It's a beautiful car and I love it but dang this is not right! Car knocks from passenger side when going over bumps at slow speed also. 2007 Charger srt8 mopar cai, zoomers cat back, debadged.
I feel your pain my friend. I believe the manual states that some oil usage during break in is normal, but I cannot believe 4 quarts worth. Mine used MAYBE a half of quart during the first 5,000 miles.

It couldn't hurt to try and get a replacement thru Chrysler, under the notion it was not properly filled from the start. Obviously, this is a real long shot, and if they agreed, they would really make you work for it (phone calls, letters, etc.) What if you could show Chrysler documention that 4 quarts of oil is absolutely abnormal usage, even during break in. I know I am really reaching here, but I know I would try about anything if it were me.

Also, maybe a compression check, and whatever tests could be done would put your mind at ease if everything appears ok. Maybe the oil left was enough for the time to prevent any damage.

Pls do keep us posted. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Fine.. i'm going out to check my oil right now. I have 1200 miles on my new 6.1. hope its full.
O.K. my motor is overfull by 1/3 quart... maybe they put your extra oil in my motor.....

·
Registered
857 Posts
The first few thousand miles of any engines life is the most critical time to be checking your vital fluids. Generally, if something is going to go wrong, it will be encountered during this time. Checking your oil at every fill up and even in between fill ups for the first while is the best and safest way to go.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope there wasn't any serious damage. :(

·
Registered
489 Posts
They may come back and tell you that 1 qt for every 1200 or so miles is considered normal, but when I had mine, I lost no oil. Most likely it was short when you got the car. You should always check the fluids on a new vehicle when you pick it up, preferably before you leave the dealership, and should check your oil at least monthly. Good luck, and I doubt you did any harm as you still had about 4 qts in there. Forget about build quality, etc...its in your corner!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.