Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 SRT8 with a 165,000 miles. Check engine light comes on, after Wide open throttle it it chimes and blinks. Tests indicate cylinder 8 misfire. New plugs, coil checks out. Any ideas?
Dealer wanted to remove valve cover for exploratory surgery.
I think it might be time to trade. :frown2:

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Have you ever changed the cam position sensor and the crank position sensor?

My SRT had a random P0301 (cylinder 1) misfire code for nearly 2 years before I replaced those sensors and fixed it. I had also replaced the plugs and coil pack (like you) along the way to finally figuring it out. It would even occasionally go fubar on WOT and light up the dash like a Christmas tree, chime and even threw TB codes once in a while.

After I replaced those sensors, I haven't had anymore problems for the nearly 2 years since.

I would at least start there since they are cheap and easy to replace.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Misfire update

The problem started getting worse to the point that the check engine light would chime in under moderate acceleration. And a distinct shudder could be felt. And obvious misfire. Further examination revealed a worn cam. (remember this has 165,000 miles. and 120k of those were before I bought the car. And some of those were undercover police duty)
So The Duke is getting a new cam, timing chain, lifters and gaskets. I asked the dealer if a higher performance cam was possible since I was spending over 3 grand on this I wanted to GAIN something. But sadly, Mopar doesn't offer a hotter cam and they can't warranty aftermarket. So just so everyone knows that might develope a similar problem.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
This is the first cam I have seen go bad. Wonder if the engine had been starved for oil or I should say run low on oil to many times

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no telling. the car has a very checkered past. Turns out it was auctioned twice, stolen once and even served undercover police duty. Still has toggle switches and one light in the rear window (inoperative) So the fact that it ran strong until 165,000 miles with God only knows servicing done, is quite a testament to Mopar and SRT for building one hell of a motor.
It has had a steady diet of Sunoco 93 and Mobil 1 since I've owned it. But I'm sure damage was done or well underway before I bought it 45,000 miles ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts