Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about moving from FL back home to New England and am wondering if I will have to get rid of my charger or not. Anyone have the stones to drive these things in the snow? If so how was it?

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
You'd be crazy in my mind...
400+ HP and torque and the rear wheels with an open diff? I'm sure it would be driveable with chains on the tires or snow tires...but certainly not fun...from my personal experience I know if I get any moisture under my tires they don't stick

·
Registered
318 Posts
My R/T drove very well in the snow. Much better than my Trans-Am did. Had no problems with either car. I suggest snow tires on a spare set of rims.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Buy a beater car for the winter. An SRT on a windy NE road in the fall would rock.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
400+ HP and torque and the rear wheels with an open diff? I'm sure it would be driveable with chains on the tires or something, but certainly not fun...from my personal experience I know if I get any moisture under my tires they don't stick
Thats what I was thinking. I know my wife would have a fit if I have my 89 coupe which will never see rain let alone the snow and a car that carries a $500+ a month payment that I can only use a few months out of the year. I might have to let her go:( .

·
Registered
820 Posts
Not sure when you plan on moving, but I can let you know this winter. I live in CT & use my srt8 as a daily driver. Luckily though, I only live 2 miles from work plus have a back up plan that involves a co worker with a 4x4.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Anyone have the stones to drive these things in the snow? If so how was it?
I drive mine all year and in the snow! I had NO issues with it whatsoever. I had amazing traction! The trick is to get some great snowtires and half decent aluminum rims to use for the winter. I also have the Counteract electronic rust prevention system on my car as well as having the undercarriage oil sprayed.

Seem like a bit much? Consider how much it costs to maintain that beater and keep a space to park it when not using it. I'd rather drive my car as I feel safer in it. If it is brutal outside, I'll take my wife's car to work if needed.

I got 255/50/19 Pirelli Scorpion tires with 19" aluminum ASA wheels and they worked great!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I'm with PBGas. Get a cheaper set of rims and a good set of snow tires and you should be fine. That's what I'm doing.
-J

·
Registered
72 Posts
400+ HP and torque and the rear wheels with an open diff? I'm sure it would be driveable with chains on the tires or snow tires...but certainly not fun...from my personal experience I know if I get any moisture under my tires they don't stick
Does the SRT-8 have an open differential or a limited-slip differential? I ask because about a year or so ago there was a thread on these forums discussing the SRT-8 having a limited-slip differential versus the R/T have an open differential.

If the SRT-8 does in fact have a limited-slip differential it may do OK in the snow if "winter tires" are used.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'm with PBGas. Get a cheaper set of rims and a good set of snow tires and you should be fine. That's what I'm doing.
-J
Please tell me you're joking. Your not really taking the Bee in the snow are you? Please... Buy a $400 junker to drive in the winter. ;)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Please tell me you're joking. Your not really taking the Bee in the snow are you? Please... Buy a $400 junker to drive in the winter. ;)
Not really joking. However, I do have a 4X4 Ram and 4X4 Durango that I will use if I know it's going to snow. I still want to put a set of winter tires on a different set of rims just in case I get caught unaware.
-J

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes, snow tires and rims is the must.

If you are refuring to the RSA's slipping in the rain that is because they SUCK!! Just as bad in the snow, they over all are a poor tire.
Look how Tirerack rates them.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+RS-A

Yes the SRT is an open diff but the traction control makes it seam like a limited slip. I had no problem driving it in the snow, actually the rain seams worse, but stopping was the problem. I am about to go and get some 18's and blizzaks, and it will be fine.

My wifes old ' 02 VW GTI 337, with stock 18's and mich. piolt sports on it was worse than the srt on rsa's. but after getting some 16" blizzaks, it was way better.

I think any car that has summer tires on it should put winter tires on it in the winter. Tires make a HUGE difference. If they even make you stop a foot shorter, that could be the difference between a stop and a hit by a 18-wheeler. Well worth the money in my book.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thats what I was thinking. I know my wife would have a fit if I have my 89 coupe which will never see rain let alone the snow and a car that carries a $500+ a month payment that I can only use a few months out of the year. I might have to let her go:( .

Well if you have to let the wife go, you have to let the wife go. LOL.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Yes, snow tires and rims is the must.

If you are refuring to the RSA's slipping in the rain that is because they SUCK!! Just as bad in the snow, they over all are a poor tire.
Look how Tirerack rates them.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+RS-A

Yes the SRT is an open diff but the traction control makes it seam like a limited slip. I had no problem driving it in the snow, actually the rain seams worse, but stopping was the problem. I am about to go and get some 18's and blizzaks, and it will be fine.

My wifes old ' 02 VW GTI 337, with stock 18's and mich. piolt sports on it was worse than the srt on rsa's. but after getting some 16" blizzaks, it was way better.

I think any car that has summer tires on it should put winter tires on it in the winter. Tires make a HUGE difference. If they even make you stop a foot shorter, that could be the difference between a stop and a hit by a 18-wheeler. Well worth the money in my book.
I would beg to differ in that the RSAs are complete crap in the winter. I drove mine last year in a Michigan winter, and i did ok. It was not as sure footed as a front or 4 wheel drive, but it was not too bad. I hear Pirelli Scorpions are better, though.
I do plan on getting a beater for this winter just to avoid the sight of salt stains on my beautiful black paint, but not for sake of safety. I will miss my heated seats and side mirrors, though...

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Buy some Pirelli Scorpions and it will ride like a champ in the snow

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
The amount of HP and Torque you have makes ZERO difference unless you plan on turning off ESP and flooring it in the snow. It kills me when I continually read that because it doesn't make any sense.

When you press about 1/10th down on the pedal you just aren't making 400HP!

The most important elements are tires, weight balance, traction systems, and ease of throttle modulation. While ESP isn't good for the real deep stuff, with snow tires the car scores well in the other areas.

Of course for really deep snow you sit too low.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I've been driving in Wyoming winters for 32 years and the SRT8 did just fine last year in the snow with the RSA's. The only time I didn't drive it was when the snow was just too deep to get it away from the curb.

Now, to be honest I don't have much tread left for this year's winter so I will probably have to get new shoes for it. Not sure what to get though. I've been looking at the Kumho Ecsta ASX.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Mine's a daily driver and I drove it in snow and ice last winter. I didn't have traction issues, but I have lived in places like North Dakota and Wyoming and am familiar with driving in the snow and ice. The main issue is how low to the ground the car is, and you will have to be careful with that, just like being careful about parking and going up steep slopes, etc.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I drove mine last winter in Chicago daily, unless the snow was over the front Fascia. First thing I did was to swap out the F1's for RSA's and I never had a traction problem. COmmons sense rules!

THose that live in cold climates with the F1's will start to begin experencing the F1 tire thunk apon turningt he wheel while in reverse.....

·
Registered
571 Posts
i drove fine on stock wheels and tires in the snow....esp is magic.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts