Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just surious, wanted to ask u guys. how horrible is the srt8 on gas. im really considering making the huuuuuuuuge upgrade, being i have 2.7L, and i just wanna hear from owners

·
Registered
67 Posts
I average 15mpg daily city driving in the SRT
I used to have an R/T and that averaged 18mpg

this is a race car with gas guzzler tax so don't expect to save on gas driving it

I think once you get into one, you won't care and you will find a way to get the extra money for gas!

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
yeah all chargers get crappy mileage, the 2.7 is way too small of a motor for such a huge car, so it gets bad mileage due to that, the 3.5 gets crappy mileage for whatever reason, the RT gets the best for the size of the motor vs. how much power and gas consumed... srt is just a beast that drinks gas.

Bottom line, all chargers get sh*tty gas mileage.

·
Registered
330 Posts
yeah all chargers get crappy mileage, the 2.7 is way too small of a motor for such a huge car, so it gets bad mileage due to that, the 3.5 gets crappy mileage for whatever reason, the RT gets the best for the size of the motor vs. how much power and gas consumed... srt is just a beast that drinks gas.

Bottom line, all chargers get sh*tty gas mileage.
I think for a 5.7L to get 24-25 on the hwy (now 25-26 with Predator)... its pretty good gas mileage. If I had got an SUV, I would be 25% lower even with a 6 cyl (something like the SRT).

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
I think for a 5.7L to get 24-25 on the hwy (now 25-26 with Predator)... its pretty good gas mileage. If I had got an SUV, I would be 25% lower even with a 6 cyl (something like the SRT).
yea thats what im saying, the 5.7 is the best mix of mileage and power if that's of concern, but it'd take a 6.1 anyway. I just dont need the insurance or the possible accidents, im immature im the guy racing all the time. I'll drive a slow car thanks.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Without 10% ethanol gas I can get up to 21 on the highway ... and 15-17 in town by the readout on the evic...

10% ethanol ... sucks ... 18 on highway and 13-14 in town ... 12 if I drive it like I want to ...

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I'm going from a 5.9L in my Grand Cherokee that only gets 9mpg, so anything is going to be an upgrade for me. Can't wait till i get my Brilliant Black R/T.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Straight highway cruising puts me a little short of 22 mpg; my ~50 mile/day mixed commute with some cruising and some stop and go usually gives me about 17.5 mpg. Not bad, really, until you look at the mileage Johnny C6 'vette can get... oh, well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Gas mileage and SRT8 shouldn't be used in the same sentence...if gas mileage is a concern, look elsewhere...you have to know when a vehicle like this is built, gas mileage is low on the list of priorities. The window sticker says it's all, 14 mpg city, 20 mpg hwy. I don't know what's worse...people with SRT8s or looking into getting a SRT8 asking about gas mileage...or people with 6 cylinder Chargers wanting a tuner.
People with 6 cyl chargers wanting a tuner... but people asking about gas mileage with an SRT8 is a close second.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I actually work about 5 minutes from the private company that is coming out with the Tesla Roadster. This thing is almost totally electric (um how about NO gas!) and the power is almost unbeleivable. Incredible. Now this is what I'm talking about when I tell my wife that I am doing my part to save the planet! :p I am thinking about getting myself one of these (whenever the hell I can get my hands on one that is!) to compensate for my thirsty Charger.

"0 to 60 mph in under 4 seconds. Meanwhile, the battery stores enough energy for the vehicle to travel more about 245 miles (EPA city/highway) without recharging"

http://www.teslamotors.com/

·
Registered
309 Posts
My '07 R/T gets 25-26 mpg....every tankful. I also have a '06 3.5 that gets 19-21 mpg. I wouldn't trade my Chargers for anything on the road and I drive them a lot. I have put 27,641 miles on my '07 R/T since May and I put 55,000 miles on my '06 in one year.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've YET to be able to go between fill ups without a few stomps on the pedal ... As hard as I try, just can't do it !!! Bottom line ?? I could care less about the mileage, as long as I'm not too far from a gas station :)

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
If you make the leap to the SRT from the 2.7 then gas will probably be the least of your financial considerations. Everything costs more on the SRT. If you can find a way, however, make the leap and never look back - you will not regret it!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Around town, going to work and running errands and such, I have gotten 13 to 15 mpg depending on how much stop and go I do (some days more than others depending on those %&$# traffic lights!!). On the highway, driving the speed limit of 75 mph, I consistently have gotten around 21 mph.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
My commute of about 30 miles each way will yield me an average of about 21 mpg. That's mostly highway with just a little backroad. Normal stop and go town traffic gets me around 14-15.
Gas mileage wasn't a concern when I bought this however.
-J

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I actually work about 5 minutes from the private company that is coming out with the Tesla Roadster. This thing is almost totally electric (um how about NO gas!) and the power is almost unbeleivable. Incredible. Now this is what I'm talking about when I tell my wife that I am doing my part to save the planet! :p I am thinking about getting myself one of these (whenever the hell I can get my hands on one that is!) to compensate for my thirsty Charger.

"0 to 60 mph in under 4 seconds. Meanwhile, the battery stores enough energy for the vehicle to travel more about 245 miles (EPA city/highway) without recharging"

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Interesting, lets see what you that engine can do with two tons on it.

Anyway, if you get a performance vehicle. You will become one with the pump :grin: because WOT is your best friend

·
Registered
702 Posts
Interesting, lets see what you that engine can do with two tons on it.

Anyway, if you get a performance vehicle. You will become one with the pump :grin: because WOT is your best friend
Two tons of weight? I think it will just sit there and NOT move at all! :grin:
But, that is the beauty of this car (and why it is so f-ing fast to accelerate): I weighs next to nothing and doesn't need most of the parts that our cars do now. Hey, I'm not saying it'll be perfect. Probably far from it. But I really dig the way the thinking goes. Just because I am a treehugger doesn't mean I want Ned Flanders car. Give me some performance please!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm happy!!

6500 miles on clock and better than before breakin.
I'm running Stock everything except AirRaid CAI w/Scoop.................
72 miles daily 5-6 days a week between 45-63 MPH with occasional "Hit-It" thrown in and doing the actual math I average 21.
By actual math, I fill tank, reset odometer, consume fuel, fill tank and divide gallons used into miles driven.
I think that's great for a 425 HP v8.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
When weather permits I commute 76 miles a day round trip divided highway with few lights, I probably average 65 to 70 mph and I get 13 to 15 mpg fill up to fill up.....I have a lead foot. I may get 16 or 17 normal driving. (Whats normal?)...............

1 - 20 of 33 Posts