Charger Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whuddaya guys think? How could I get SRT performance out of my R/T? exhaust, cai, cam, headers/heads, free-flow cats, bolt-on rocket?

I understand the SRT8 is a good second faster in the 0-60 than the R/T and up to 1.5-2 secs faster in the 1/4 mile (we're talking stock for stock here).

Please no SRT guys here with the inevitable "buy an SRT" comments. To me, the MODDING is the fun part of it! It would be like a little challenge for myself. I am very much aware that I could have ordered an SRT but I chose not to for MPG reasons.. that and the fact that my abnormally broad shoulders couldn't fit in the super-deep bucket suede seats! lol. Again, to me the modding and seeing how much performance can be squeezed out of the 5.7 is the best part! So no smartass comments eh?

Let the games begin!

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
heads/cam with headers, high flow cats, catback exhaust, CAI, and a good tune, will make you faster than a stock srt8, but you also have to remember if you want ALL the performance, you need to upgrade your suspension(coilcovers FTW) and also upgrade the breaking (Brembos FTW)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heads/cam with headers, high flow cats, catback exhaust, CAI, and a good tune, will make you faster than a stock srt8, but you also have to remember if you want ALL the performance, you need to upgrade your suspension(coilcovers FTW) and also upgrade the breaking (Brembos FTW)

Any suggestions on a affordable cam/head package? Also, can you explain some peoples' concern with "ridability" when upgrading their cam/heads? Whats the difference between a more 'aggressive' cam and a more 'mild' one? Why is it that its said that certain cam packages dont have good 'everyday street drivability'?

Come on! I want my SRT-whuppin timeslip! j/k :)

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
As far as horse and torque, 402 motoring has great prices. Tomahawk Cam, P/P heads, headers, misc hardware, and might be a good idea to pick up a T/C. Also a Diablo is a must. Less than 5K in parts, and a 300 just ran a 12.2 in less than stellar circumstances as far as launch goes.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as horse and torque, 402 motoring has great prices. Tomahawk Cam, P/P heads, headers, misc hardware, and might be a good idea to pick up a T/C. Also a Diablo is a must. Less than 5K in parts, and a 300 just ran a 12.2 in less than stellar circumstances as far as launch goes.
I take it that was a 5.7 300? I've seen 402's great prices... but from what I hear its the installation cost for cam/heads that will destroy the average wallet :grin: . Any explanation of the what the whole "drivability" thing means? Does a more aggressive cam make your car undrivable unless your racing? Why would this be so? bumpy idle? loud? I just dont get it.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Drivability more refers to the feel of the car, and the gas milage. If you have a daily driver getting 5 MPG, that ruins drivability. Install on heads/cam/headers can be pricey. Hwoever, there is a guy named Luke lives up in Michigan. Does great work, at fair prices. Dont know where you are. If you do all the installs at once, you will save money, since it is easier to do the valve springs with the heads off, easier to install cam with heads off, easier to do headers with them off, etc etc.

·
Registered
161 Posts
CAI
Cat back system
Headers(short or long)
High flow cats
sidewinder cam(push rods and 6.1 springs)
CMR tune.

I noticed you are in NYC.

Hemi31 lives in NYC and has done over 20 heads and cam installs on our motors. He is really inexpensive compared to a shop.

That all should put you in the 12.9 range on street tires.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
With my mods (signature), I ran a 13.1 @ 106. That is SRT power there. I only spent about $5,000 in aftermarket parts, if I had done the installs my self it would have been about $1,500 less.

·
Registered
350 Posts
my 300C (mods in sig-5.7) is slightly faster than my srt8 -stock until last week when I added Diablo (I haven't run them against each other but I suspect with the diablo the srt8 is now at least equal, but when I get the tune for my 300C it will change again).

the handling is pretty good too, with the sways and coilovers, but there are two things that are not as good. The seats (SRTs can't be beat) and the brakes.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With my mods (signature), I ran a 13.1 @ 106. That is SRT power there. I only spent about $5,000 in aftermarket parts, if I had done the installs my self it would have been about $1,500 less.
Only $5k in parts for those times? Very very impressive. How much did everything come to after installation costs? What kind of MPG do you get in your car with those MODs?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Only $5k in parts for those times? Very very impressive. How much did everything come to after installation costs? What kind of MPG do you get in your car with those MODs?
The $5K he is talking about is installed. If you get it installed by Hemi31, that number will be significantly less.

Go check out LXforums.com and you will find out how loved this guy really is and how much he knows about our motors.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hey bud

I clicked this thread to see the Bolt On Rocket damnit!

I am considering the Stroker setup myself, that is the real deal and keeps driveability if you want it.

No Replacement for Displacement - that old saying ya know :)

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Headers replace exhaust manifolds. Heads are the top end of the engine, capping the combustion chambers. The headers bolt onto the heads, and the exhaust piping and mufflers bolt onto the headers. Depending on the cam, the engine may ride and feel nearly stock, or have a serious lope and feel that lets everyone know there is not a stock cam in there.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
That is approximately what I spent with the cost of install. On my last tank of gas I got 19.8 MPG with mostly city driving, that was the best I've ever got. I got + 2 mpg with diablo. I was getting around 17-18.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
For a cam/head setup you are generally looking around 2k+ install no matter what vendor you go with......then factor in headers,cats and catback as well as a CAI and a tuner.Most people already have the cats,catback,CAI and some sort of tuner by the time they make the leap to the cam and heads.
On a 5.7 a cam can get you between 30-50 at the wheels,then put heads on that and your closer to 80-100 with all the supporting exhaust,intake and tune.All the vendors out there will be very happy to tell you about their packages........make sure you read up on what forum members are running as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts