Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are many SRT hoods on RTs but wondering if it's possible to get the extra air into the engine. Manifold swap or ??? Are any kits out there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
What would swapping the manifold do? And just get the hood and I think airaid makes the piece that connects to the hood.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure how the air is routed from the SRT hood/ scoop so I wasn't sure how to proceed.

Looks like Airraid has the parts? Does it connect to stock airbox or ???

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
Its for a CAI, and the part just seal around the opening on the right side of the hood.

·
Registered
596 Posts
It really doesn't do a whole lot unless you are going 60+mph, and even then it may be like 5 hp. It's functional sure, but not a huge difference by any means.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I know there are many SRT hoods on RTs but wondering if it's possible to get the extra air into the engine. Manifold swap or ??? Are any kits out there?

Thanks!
Airaid make a CAI with the attachment to direct air from the ducting to the CAI. Really don't know if there are any advantages to this.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
this is the airaid CAI attachment setup

it lines up with OEM style srt hoods (where there's 2 little slit openings that blow air on either side of the intake manifold)

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I'd get an SRT hood just because it looks awesome :rocker:

·
Registered
245 Posts
trufiber hoods route the air to dump directly on the stock air box location. it works well with my Mopar CAI and i don't know why they don't come like that from the factory!

Here's a stupid question. What happens to the water that is drawn in with the air during a rain storm? Is there a manual shut-off or does it drip around the air filter and down to the pavement? I had this same question regarding the shaker hood but I never posted it. BTW, your car is absolutely awesome looking!!!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
the OEM srt hood ducting dumps fresh air on the sides of the intake manifold and down onto the headers.

it is for cooling, not ram air.

aftermarket hoods can feed an aftermarket air intake like an AFE etc,
aftermarket intakes such as the Airaid for the SRT models make use of one of the air ducts on the OEM srt hood as pictured above.

for the most part all aftermarket hoods are aesthetic only unless you were to seal off all other air intakes except the hood.

you may see a little extra hp, if youre getting enough cold air to counteract reduced timing from hot air,

the RamAir brand hood with option II airbox seals the hood as the only intake, but i fear the intake plenum box gets very hot sitting right on top of the motor so im not sold on that either

i think the OEM srt hood, or any aftermarket hood dumping fresh air over the intake manifold is the best for cooling effect in the engine bay.

----

your question about the SRT intake manifold on the R/T
it can be done, but requires port matching of your heads (removal and porting them) or the soon to be offered spacers by Billet Tech

using the SRT intake mani on a mostly stock R/T will show gains in high RPM with a loss of torque in the low rpm range.

on a heavily modified car (heads/cam + ) it can show a 10-15 rwhp gain across the curve when the heads are properly port matched to the manifold....

i have a 09 5.7 intake manifold in my garage waiting for the billet tech spacers. the 09 manifold uses the SRT port window and im hoping that the BT spacers do not hinder performance with a rapid change in port size... time will tell

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good info and pics. Thanks gents!

I agree the SRT-8 hoods look great but if I were to grab one, I'd like to see some functionality. You all got me off to a good start.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Here's a stupid question. What happens to the water that is drawn in with the air during a rain storm? Is there a manual shut-off or does it drip around the air filter and down to the pavement? I had this same question regarding the shaker hood but I never posted it. BTW, your car is absolutely awesome looking!!!

#1 thank you, #2 rain has never been an issue. most of the water is deflected by the grill and what does get through tends to stick to the inside of the ducting. even if a tiny amount does find a way to drip directly onto the filter, it still has to make it through it filter, the tube, and the throttle body without being vaporized... and that's just not going to happen.

·
Registered
200 Posts
theres a filter well supposed to be right were the mouth of the scoop begins right behind the HComb grill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts