Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the Bendix brakes as suggested by others.

Now with that in mind I have installed brakes on my old cars but never a more or less special brake system as in Brembo.

The couple places i checked out, roughly as an average, quote around $200 for install of front and both.

Is it wise to install the brakes myself for the first time? or waste the $200 and get them installed?

Thanks for any input! :beerchug:

·
Registered
325 Posts

Now with that in mind I have installed brakes on my old cars but never a more or less special brake system as in Brembo.

The couple places i checked out, roughly as an average, quote around $200 for install of front and both.

Is it wise to install the brakes myself for the first time? or waste the $200 and get them installed?

It's stupid easy to change them out...

Push out two pins, spread the pads, pull the old ones out and put the new ones in, push the pins back in and move onto the next.

If you pay someone 200 for it you're crazy. Took me 10 minutes per tire or so, most of the time spent taking the tires off and back on and jacking the car up and back down.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here you go, easy step by step..http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=149358. Plus you can clean all the brake dust off the inside of the wheels while you have them off.
Thanks for the link :beerchug: worked out great and with manual tools - floor jack and regular lug wrench it took a little more than an hour for front and back so this makes me smile haha!

Thanks again! :beerchug:

·
Registered
108 Posts

How do you like the bendix compared to the brembo brand?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you like the bendix compared to the brembo brand?
I love them, have had no trouble with the brakes and to me, they feel exactly the same. Very strong and a tight grip.

Very great quality at a wonderful price also. Its basically the same thing as brembo pads with a wonderful discount :) :beerchug:

·
Registered
108 Posts
The most simple break job to do for any car. Two pins, pop em in and replace.
I love them, have had no trouble with the brakes and to me, they feel exactly the same. Very strong and a tight grip.

Very great quality at a wonderful price also. Its basically the same thing as brembo pads with a wonderful discount :) :beerchug:
I just ordered a set! Quick question, are the rears easy to change like the fronts? :rocker:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just ordered a set! Quick question, are the rears easy to change like the fronts? :rocker:
Yes, they are the same. Other than the pads being smaller its the same logic used for the front brake pad change.

Make sure to use 3M spray mount adhesive 77 or 90 on the back of the pads so they stick to the piston = no vibration = no squeel and use break lube grease on the pins.

And properly bed the brakes also so they form to the rotors.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes, they are the same. Other than the pads being smaller its the same logic used for the front brake pad change.

Make sure to use 3M spray mount adhesive 77 or 90 on the back of the pads so they stick to the piston = no vibration = no squeel and use break lube grease on the pins.

And properly bed the brakes also so they form to the rotors.
will do, thanks for the 411!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Be careful pushing out the pins, my hole punch slipped just a bit and I chipped a small piece of metal off.

Getting the wheels off is the hardest part.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Be careful pushing out the pins, my hole punch slipped just a bit and I chipped a small piece of metal off.

Getting the wheels off is the hardest part.
I agree - especially if you have a regular torque wrench and its close to the wheel - i used a cotton towel to wrap around the wrench to make sure the metal doesn't touch the rim.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well....The write up sure helped. Too bad the pads I had were wrong...oops.

No matter...the current pads still have a ****-ton of life left.

But, can someone explain why they are squealing so much?? It is ear piercing sometimes.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well....The write up sure helped. Too bad the pads I had were wrong...oops.

No matter...the current pads still have a ****-ton of life left.

But, can someone explain why they are squealing so much?? It is ear piercing sometimes.
There is vibration when you brake - now you could have dirt between the pad and rotor or the connection with the piston to the back of the pad vibrates causing the annoying sound. The way I fix that usually is to take the pads off and use 3M spray mount 70 or 90 on the back of the pad to the piston sticks to it. So far its worked like a charm on different cars I'v done brake service on.

Hope this helps!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts