Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2008 Super Bee, I have the 245's up front, and the 255's in the rear; manual says you can rotate from side to side, however can you rotate from front to back with these different tire sizes? With the F1's, I'm not sure that a side to side rotation is even worth doing, however with only 10mm difference in the tires from front to back, I'm wondering if the car will have an funky or negative handling characteristics with the larger 255's up front, and the 245's in the rear. Again, not a big deal either way, whether I don't rotate at all, or just do side to side, however I wasn't sure if anyone has done the bigger tires in the front thing, and can provide any feedback accordingly............

Regards, Chris.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
if they are nondirrectional tires u can rotate side to side..but unless u drive a front wheel trive car at the track u wont want wider tires on the front of your car..

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
When I bought my car the 255's were on the front and the 245's were on the rear. I was noticeable and kinda stupid looking.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if they are nondirrectional tires u can rotate side to side..but unless u drive a front wheel trive car at the track u wont want wider tires on the front of your car..
When I bought my car the 255's were on the front and the 245's were on the rear. I was noticeable and kinda stupid looking.
Thanks to both; I believe the Goodyear F1 Supercars are non-directional tires, so I'll probably just rotate them from side to side for whatever it's worth............

·
Registered
990 Posts
I was told by the tech that you shouldn't rotate the staggered F1's at all. Once they've been run in one direction, if you run them the opposite way, they wear quicker.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I was told by the tech that you shouldn't rotate the staggered F1's at all. Once they've been run in one direction, if you run them the opposite way, they wear quicker.
Hahahaha You mean you can get those pieces of crap to wear even quiker?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting, I had not heard that before; I will double check what the manual says again; most of the time it's just front to back with RWD vehicles, and front to back and criss-cross with front wheel drive vehicles; rotating from side to side is not really even an option in most cases, and might just be a waste of time; I'm assuming you're saying that "if you run them the opposite way" means that you are rotating front left and right with each other, independent of rotating left & right rear with each other as well, correct?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hahahaha You mean you can get those pieces of crap to wear even quiker?
Yup.

Interesting, I had not heard that before; I will double check what the manual says again; most of the time it's just front to back with RWD vehicles, and front to back and criss-cross with front wheel drive vehicles; rotating from side to side is not really even an option in most cases, and might just be a waste of time; I'm assuming you're saying that "if you run them the opposite way" means that you are rotating front left and right with each other, independent of rotating left & right rear with each other as well, correct?
When the tire wears, it wears in a certain direction (against the pull of the car). Similar to the way a tree grows with the wind (if you get enough constant wind in your area). If the wheel is then swapped to the other side, it works against the direction the rubber was "conditioned" and will have slightly better grip and hence quicker wear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts