Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have a questions, and I suspect it is a common experience. I have a 2007 SRT-8, 3400 miles. Has had two oil changes. Broken it properly. Airaid intake is the only mod. Dealer verified no gunk. Best 0-60 from a dead stop 5.2 (did not do the 1500 roll right, hot day). Basically, seems to be running very well. But.....

Here's the deal. Is it just me, or is there a slight bog at the 1-2 shift point? I stand on it, and it gets decent power off the line. Just seems like there is a little lag as it goes from 1-2. I don't see HAL triggering ESP. Maybe its just the seat of the pants meter, but my 96 Impala (shift points changed via programming, 3.73 rear end, 2800 stall TC) feels like it has, well, more "oomph" at this point. Sometimes, with ESP on and A/C on (it was 90 on Friday her in Chi-town), it just seems to hesitate a bit.

So, in short: is this a common experience? Is this just a factory program/gear/tc issue? Or is this symptomatic of a larger issues? Admittedly, I am a bit paranoid, but it just seems like when HAL is in control (and I am not shifting myself), there is a little bog frrom 1-2 and somewhat less prominent from 2-3.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
What you are most likely feeling is the torque management that HAL has built into circuits. If you can, take a look at some of the Dash Hawk and Superchip outputs and you will see how HAL electronically backs off the throttle, reduces timing...then shifts. Those with full catback exhaust systems can actually hear it very clearly....and when it is at its worst my car use to nose over in between the shifts.

B&G has been successful in removing the torque management piece and there are quite a few TCM options out there to help improve shift quality at WOT. My recent switch to the MOPAR PCM/TCM has greatly reduced this effect and produced really solid shifts....but it is still there to some degree.

Hopefully, the DIABLO CMR software will provide us the ability to tune this out completely.

There is an easy .1-.2 and 1-2mph to be gained at the track in shift quality alone. I have had some freak shifts occur from time to time at the track where there is no perceptible lag, no closing of the throttle or reduced timing...just a solid kick in the ass on the shift....showed gains each time. Just wish I could repeat it on command.

Hope that helps,

Chris

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
There is also a TSB out (for SRT's specifically) that updates the code for the TCM. Do a search here for "TSB TCM" and you'll find a bunch. Here's one of the biggies (sorry, it's a HUGE thread):
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30029&highlight=TSB+TCM

Note, it's officially for the 6.1, but will also apply via a StarScan to 5.7's, IF the dealer will cooperate and apply the flash update.

You said you have a 2007, I thought those were coming out of the factory with the updated code. Maybe yours doesn't.
I also don't know that the flash completely solves the problem. But it's something to pursue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yep get the flash TSB done and it will be better, keep in mind that it will change autostick so that even when holding down in a gear it will shif automaticlly at redline...some dont like this.

Jaybo

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Yep get the flash TSB done and it will be better, keep in mind that it will change autostick so that even when holding down in a gear it will shif automaticlly at redline...some dont like this.

Jaybo
My problem has been sometimes the trans shifts hundreds of RPMs BEFORE redline

Other times it bangs it out at 6400

rgghhhh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts