Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is an srt-8 hood possible on the se.
i go for the look so any suggestions. i still havent gotten my charger yet but im going to soon. so any suggestions to make it look cool. please post a picture of the mod if possible

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
i'm sure it is very possible, I don't think DCX has started selling the OEM SRT8 hood as a individual part yet so I'm not sure where you can get it or if anyone has done it yet. In fact I'm sure that there are people on this forum that are planning to do that same mod. However, while the 3.5 V6 is no slouch some might give you hard time since you aren't packing an 8 under the hood.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Manris said:
However, while the 3.5 V6 is no slouch some might give you hard time since you aren't packing an 8 under the hood.
I agree with you on that statement... but being a SE owner... and liking the look of the SRT8, and just not being able to cover the costs of the payments, and my new house... go for what you like and can afford... to hell with the rest of'em.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
hell no guys...i own an r/t....i want the srt 8 hood and wheels. and you v6 guys - go get you a hood.

but alas - it isn't even close to sale just yet. i am on the look out so once i see it available i will post, of course after i buy mine first..lol

fitment shouldn't be an issue at all....the bodies are pretty much identical around the board...so bolt on and go type mod....well after some paint.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It's an awesome hood... I want one as well. I don't think we will see extra hoods stamped and out of production with part numbers to buy until early January :sad: GoDaddy, do you feel the same about the timeline?

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
just not sure....production is suppose to start very soon and i don't think they will want any parts out before the actual car is available......maybe late oct. or nov. hopefully not all the way into jan. but it could be very possible. dodge is going to make a killing on these hoods....everyone wants one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
GoDaddy said:
. hopefully not all the way into jan. but it could be very possible.
I hope not... otherwise I will have to have another space heater put in my garage... I hate working on cars in a big parka when its bareass cold outside... :mad: :sad:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Not trying to flame here, but being one who has spent the extra $$$ on an SRT-8, I think the hood should be kept exclusive to that car.

Kinda like "false advertising" when you put that hood on a car that doesn't have the 6.1L don't you think??

When I see a Charger from a distance, I'd like to know what they really have under the hood rather than trying to figure out if it's "real" or not. Just my opinion... probably will be slammed by those who think differently.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
I want to get one for my SXT. And my wife has OK'd it. She loves the look and she says that whatever makes me happy, makes her happy! :happy:

I am one lucky guy! :happy:

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
moparfan said:
Not trying to flame here, but being one who has spent the extra $$$ on an SRT-8, I think the hood should be kept exclusive to that car.

Kinda like "false advertising" when you put that hood on a car that doesn't have the 6.1L don't you think??

When I see a Charger from a distance, I'd like to know what they really have under the hood rather than trying to figure out if it's "real" or not. Just my opinion... probably will be slammed by those who think differently.
i won't flame you for your opinion but you are doing exactly what the guys posted above..flaming them. we all want to customize our cars to our liking. if you like the hood cool. but the hood doesn't add any performance value to the srt8....all it is doing is pushing air to the engine bay...which it would also do for the r/t, sxt, se. i am happy u want the srt8, a little jealous-yes, but i still want the hood regardless. this type of responce to me would be like the daytona guys flaming me for putting a daytona grill on my car with the r/t....we all want that little something special...i am not trying to "pose" as something i am not. my 2 cents

scott

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
GoDaddy said:
i won't flame you for your opinion but you are doing exactly what the guys posted above..flaming them. we all want to customize our cars to our liking. if you like the hood cool. but the hood doesn't add any performance value to the srt8....all it is doing is pushing air to the engine bay...which it would also do for the r/t, sxt, se. i am happy u want the srt8, a little jealous-yes, but i still want the hood regardless. this type of responce to me would be like the daytona guys flaming me for putting a daytona grill on my car with the r/t....we all want that little something special...i am not trying to "pose" as something i am not. my 2 cents

scott
Very True.. I was gonig to buy the SRT8, but I didnt want to wait. In fact, my R/T is going to BE an SRT8 (minus the 6.1L Engine). I figure its better to buy the R/T, and then buy the parts afterwards WITHOUT paying Chrystler interest on the parts as I would if I bought the SRT8.

Bottom line is that I would have bought the SRT8 if it was available at the time. but my car WILL look like one. I can understand you wanting to keep the look exclusive, but that is not going to happen. I know GoDaddy and I are chomping at the bit for this hood - and we WILL have it.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
GoDaddy said:
all it is doing is pushing air to the engine bay...which it would also do for the r/t, sxt, se... scott
Scott,

Agreed. I don't know why Dodge didn't put the functional hood scoop on all of the Chargers since it provides more air cooling for the engine.

Completely understood if it is for a functionality improvement... but if it is just to "make it look like the faster SRT-8", then I think the motives are questionable.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Call me a poser or whatever you want to. My motives are to my make my car look the way I want it to. If it means putting an SRT8 Hood on it, it will be done. Im not trying to pose like I have a 6.1L - Im trying to make my car look the way I want.

·
Registered
262 Posts
moparfan said:
Scott,

Agreed. I don't know why Dodge didn't put the functional hood scoop on all of the Chargers since it provides more air cooling for the engine.

Completely understood if it is for a functionality improvement... but if it is just to "make it look like the faster SRT-8", then I think the motives are questionable.

I do not want to become a "wannabe" with the SRT hood, however, I do want cool air feeding my CAI with a functional scoop and don't want a flimsy fiberglass hood. The SRT8 Charger hood is the best for this purpose and looks great

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
DutchMaster said:
In fact, my R/T is going to BE an SRT8 (minus the 6.1L Engine). I figure its better to buy the R/T, and then buy the parts afterwards WITHOUT paying Chrystler interest on the parts as I would if I bought the SRT8.
I've been in other discussions regarding the mods to the R/T to bring it as close to the SRT-8 as possible, but I still wonder if all the money being spent on mods and time invested in installing them is worth it if they might void warranty and/or cause other problems...?

Completely understand not wanting to wait for the SRT-8 to be available... thought about that myself a number of times, but as they say "patience is a virtue" :smile:

For the ~$5K difference in price (+2.1K guzzler tax), I would think all of the mods and money in time spent installing would be about equal. Plus, there is a lot more to the 6.1L engine as compared to the 5.7L as posted in this message:

Here is the full list of changes to the 6.1 hemi to produce and handle 420hp and 425 ftlbs.

Quote:
• The basic, deep-skirted engine block structure was redesigned with reinforced bulkheads to handle higher loads.
• To get more air in and out of the cylinders, SRT engineers bored out the diameter of each cylinder by approximately 3.5 millimeters in order to increase the total displacement from 5.7 liters to 6.1 liters. Cylinders are honed with torque plates to ensure a truer bore, to reduce friction and increase power.
• Oil squirters, aimed at the underside of each piston, are added to aid piston cooling for engine durability. A special oil pump pressure relief valve is added to accommodate the squirter oil flow.
• The oil pan and windage tray are modified to manage oil return to the pan sump at high engine speeds and improve power.
• Larger-diameter, flat-top pistons with high-load capability are specified to handle the SRT 6.1-liter HEMI’s compression ratio, which was increased to 10.3:1 from 9.6:1. Connecting rods are redesigned and make use of higher-strength powder metal material. New floating piston pins are introduced to handle higher loads.
• The SRT 6.1-liter HEMI’s crankshaft is forged from micro-alloy steel and rotates in tri-metal main bearings for high-load capability. The crankshaft damper is retuned for higher engine speeds.
• The SRT 6.1-liter HEMI features cylinder head ports designed with larger cross-sectional area. This allows 11 percent higher flow in the intake ports, and 13 percent higher flow in the exhaust ports.
• A billet steel, high-strength camshaft features more overlap and lift for better performance.
• Intake valves feature hollow stems and 2 mm larger heads compared to the 5.7L engine, allowing more air flow. The hollow exhaust valve stems are filled with sodium to dissipate heat efficiently. Premium valve springs with external dampers enhance the SRT 6.1-liter HEMI’s valvetrain and enable higher engine speed operation to 6,400 rpm. The valvetrain system enhancements allow the peak output engine speed to increase to 6,000 rpm from 5,000 rpm — a 20 percent increase.
• Engine breathing is improved with specially designed intake and exhaust manifolds.
• The cast aluminum intake manifold is designed with shorter, larger-diameter and tapered runners for high-speed tuning. Internal runners are core-dipped to smooth the runner finish and improve air flow.
• Fuel injector flow capacity is also increased by 14 percent over the 5.7-liter engine. Electronic throttle control is shared with the 5.7-liter HEMI, but breathes through a revised high-flow air cleaner box outfitted with a tuned resonator delivering a deep performance sound character (and good for an extra eight horsepower).
• Exhaust headers on the SRT 6.1-liter HEMI are individual tubes encased in a stainless steel shell. Exhaust runners allow increased gas flow while maintaining fast catalyst light-off, while adding 12 horsepower over the 5.7-liter engine’s cast manifolds.
• To control the combustion process, SRT engineers fine-tuned the engine management system using dual knock sensors with premium fuel.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I'm fully aware of the differences. I am referring strictly to looks. my car will LOOK like a modded SRT8 (rims, exhaust, etc..). I also prefer some 3rd party products over the mopar brand. This is an added benefit for me (buying an R/T and picking my own parts).

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
here we go again...we did have this thread already and i was in it....b/c i do feel that you can "easily" get the srt numbers with the 5.7l engine...it has been proven over and over and the more parts that become available (remember this is in its infancy) the more options and performance the r/t guys will guy.... this thread however is not about performance but exterior looks....

with that said i am not posing...i don't want an srt 8 (the +8,000 dollars being a heavy reason) and i will buy the srt8 hood. it will look cool. if anyone asks "is that an srt 8?" - i will of course say NO. it is about what each individual wants.....hence the reason the srt8 grills are already being sold...the daytona grills are sold, spoilers........this goes to "if i have a spoiler on, then am i posing as an r/t package". this could go on and on. i love a good conversation, but this will go nowhere. to each his own on looks. i love to see what others are doing and see if its somehting i would like to do.....that goes the other direction...if i influence someone else to buy something i did..great - it doesn't bother me at all. i love this car and want to be unique in town...if you don't live in lake charles....GO CRAZY! my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Ok, ok... I concede. This is an "Exterior Mods" thread, so no more points about the performance.

In my opinion, cars are similar to people... it's what inside that counts.

No mods to my SRT-8... it will stand on it's own... stock.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
that is great man....you have me laughing pretty good. i like that comment, seriously. :clap: again, to each his own....and we will see about the no mod thing when you get it......esp. when they starting pushing gain numbers on the new headers...ram intakes (not yet but possible) and the list will continue over time. we shall see if the bug doesn't hit you...i am 32, never modded anything...changed alot of parts out as they broke, but no mods for performance and looks - got the charger and can't stop. :happy:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts