Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks:

Can someone tell me exactly how the OEM hood on the SRT-8 works? Does it actually force air directly into the intake in a ram air style, or is it just their to help cool the engine? Hypothetically speaking, if the flow were to be blocked, or if a none-hood scoop type hood was on an SRT-8, would it noticeably affect performance?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
It simply funnels air over the manifolds or headers

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I was wondering about rain. Does my hood have a rain diverter or is water going to pour over motor? It hasn't rained here in almost a whole year so the only water my Charger has seen so far is from a hose and I don't shoot it into scoop...

·
Registered
739 Posts
I was wondering about rain. Does my hood have a rain diverter or is water going to pour over motor? It hasn't rained here in almost a whole year so the only water my Charger has seen so far is from a hose and I don't shoot it into scoop...
Rain will drip over the motor....but wth, a couple drops of water on a 300+ degree engine....probably do it more good than harm.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Thats what i was thinking but was thinking about doing the cold air intake that runs off scoop and was worried about water into filter. Of course it may never rain here again so who knows. I've forgot what rain is like its been so long since we've had any.....

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
dust

Thats what i was thinking but was thinking about doing the cold air intake that runs off scoop and was worried about water into filter. Of course it may never rain here again so who knows. I've forgot what rain is like its been so long since we've had any.....
Man, with all that dust i bet you spend some cash on replacing your air filters. haha.

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
I like the srt8 hood, if you get rid of it, sell it to me.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
the salesman that sold me my car showed me the underside of the hood of a srt. There were a handful of holes under the hood leading to the scoop. he told me that the scoop doesn't force air into the engine bay, it actually sucks the warm air out of the enginebay through those holes and out the scoop when the car is in motion. I don't know if there is any truth to it.

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
doesn't sound like it but i'm not a performance guru either.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
the salesman that sold me my car showed me the underside of the hood of a srt. There were a handful of holes under the hood leading to the scoop. he told me that the scoop doesn't force air into the engine bay, it actually sucks the warm air out of the enginebay through those holes and out the scoop when the car is in motion. I don't know if there is any truth to it.

Hmm... Scoop faces forward, air coming at you will go into the scoop. The salesman you talked to sounds like an idiot... Now, if it was a cowl hood, the hot air under the hood would be pulled out as the air rushing over the cowl created a sort of vaccuum near the opening on the back of the cowl.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The real deal

Hi Chargers,

I have a Sub Lime, but am quite interested in a functional hood for my car, while retaining stock graphics.

Here is a pic of an '07 SRT8 hood underside, and you can see the duct appearing from under the insulation which directs air to the side of the engine/exhaust manifolds. You can buy this entire setup of Mopar OEM stuff here: http://www.carmosaic.com/dodge-charger/product_info.php?products_id=1894&usn=2e74b9517500f53ada8c765a6f8b8ed5 Maybe some of our vendors here can offer this kit?

Another member here has an aftermarket Carbon fiber hood which is an SRT8 replica, and it is the companies second version of their replica, that directs all the air to the air box area. This seems alot more useful, but then where does the rain go? All over your CAI filter? It is still the best looking "SRT8 on R/T" job I have seen here.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46459

Real nice job he has done IMO :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts