Charger Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when my baby gets hot, i hear a squeal coming from down low on the front of the engine. it doesnt sound like a belt. what could it be? has anyone had this happen?

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
when my baby gets hot, i hear a squeal coming from down low on the front of the engine. it doesnt sound like a belt. what could it be? has anyone had this happen?
I thought the Ned Beatty package wasn't due until '09?

:D

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so im guessing nobody has any clue about this?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Is it a high-pitched sound when you step on the gas? I have that going on; had a guy run a stethoscope over my engine and he heard it most dead center of the intake manifold.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
in my opinion it would be a bearing going out in my power steering pump. it seems to be located right where it is, and it seems to appear only when really hot.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
When my squeal happens it's upon startup before it's even been put in gear or had the gas stepped on. Just idling. It doesn't happen that often but occassionally shrieks like a damn dog whistle, really high pitched, the kind of noise some people may claim they don't hear cuz it's so high. But I know it's there.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Ok...I have this squeal on my 08 rt....driver side, front of engine, down low, sounds like a belt. It comes and goes after the engine gets hot and frequency matches engine rpm...had the belt checked and tightened(Dealership could not re-create the problem even when they drove it 24 miles). Here's a new symptom, when I turn the car off , after a few seconds I hear a high pitched squeal like when you pinch a balloon tip and let the air out( the engine is off and NOT rotating at this point). IT DOES NOT SQUEAL COLD!!!! which is when a belt usually squeals. This is driving me nuts, I'm gonna have to get it singing and make the Mechs. come out and hear it i guess, anybody been through this?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I don't know about the engine squeal once its off but If you can get it to happen at idle, get a bar of soap and touch it to the belt, top and bottom, while the car is running. See if the squeal goes away. If it does get a new belt and clean off the pulleys.

Another trick is to get a stethoscope and put it on some of the accessories the crank is turning. Like the water pump, power steering pump etc. Of course this is with the engine running so be careful.
Don't have a stethoscope? Use a couple of 3/8 ratchet extensions and cup your ear around the end. You will look funny either way but it works.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I don't know about the engine squeal once its off but If you can get it to happen at idle, get a bar of soap and touch it to the belt, top and bottom, while the car is running. See if the squeal goes away. If it does get a new belt and clean off the pulleys.

Another trick is to get a stethoscope and put it on some of the accessories the crank is turning. Like the water pump, power steering pump etc. Of course this is with the engine running so be careful.
Don't have a stethoscope? Use a couple of 3/8 ratchet extensions and cup your ear around the end. You will look funny either way but it works.
Belt was dressed , cleaned and tightened...it's def. something else...thanks for the input, I was hoping someone else had been through this.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I wonder if it could be the smog pump. From what I remember it is on the drivers side. It pumps air so it could be a source of the balloon squeal.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi, Im experiencing the same issue., Did you ever pinpoint this? I ruled out a lot by running the hot engine without the belt and disconnecting the radiator fans. Any advice greatly appreciated

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.