Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit. I acquired it about a month ago and done mostly exterior modifications so far. I have noticed a high pitched squeaking noise coming from the engine bay when it's running. I'm pretty sure I have it narrowed down to either one of the radiator fans or something with the AC compressor. This is because it usually starts when the AC starts up in the vehicle. The squeak continues when the vehicle shuts off but winds down slowly until it stops. The only visible part that does this, as far as I can see, is the radiator fans. I am going to check if there is any play or ware on the fans due to a bad bearing. I would appreciate any advice or previous experience with this issue. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
SE:
Welcome to the forum. I agree that the radiator fans would be on my short list. While you are in there, remove the serp belt and check the water pump for up/down in/out play. I imagine that the car has quite a few miles, along with gobs of idle time, so the fans have given their all.

Don

Reactions: StrikeEagle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SE:
Welcome to the forum. I agree that the radiator fans would be on my short list. While you are in there, remove the serp belt and check the water pump for up/down in/out play. I imagine that the car has quite a few miles, along with gobs of idle time, so the fans have given their all.

Don
Thank you for your reply and welcome! The car had 43k and 3k hours when I got it. Which I think is great for a pursuit model. I hadn't thought about the water pump. I will put that on the list when I check the fans.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
If a fan, it's not a bad job to change the motors. You can pull the assembly out from the bottom without removing hoses. I did mine up on 9 inch ramps.
I have a write up on it here if you look.
The right and left motors are different part numbers.
If it continues after the motor is off its not the pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If a fan, it's not a bad job to change the motors. You can pull the assembly out from the bottom without removing hoses. I did mine up on 9 inch ramps.
I have a write up on it here if you look.
The right and left motors are different part numbers.
If it continues after the motor is off its not the pump.
I appreciate your reply. Where would I find the write up?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I appreciate your reply. Where would I find the write up?
The thread is HERE.

I should have posted the below pic in that thread. I went back and added more info pics.
This (#5) is the lower radiator support. You will loosen two of the forward (#6) bolts on each side say 4-turns.
Take the rearward ones out and it can be swung forward from under the radiator as you lift it off the hooks and drop it down.
Its a little snug and will take a wiggle. And my lower hose clamp was turned in a way that had me rotate it a little.

The service manual says the dual fans come out the top and requires hoses and such be removed. I thought I would enjoy this not laying under the car but it sucked.
Get it high enough and take it out the bottom with no coolant draining or hose removal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts