Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Charger SE has an issue where the driver’s seat squeaks. I have found the issue is in the active headrest and when you sit in the car and push back on the seat it squeaks high in the seat and I was able to do it by holding the headrest and moving it. The dealer can not fix it because they are not sure what to do but after I showed them what was going on we found every Charger SE on the lot does it. Has anyone else seen this; I can get rid of the squeak by removing the headrest but that is not an option. The dealer did submit a star engineering request what ever that is to solve the issue but the squeak is about to drive me nuts.

It has been 2 weeks since they submitted the engineering request and I asked the dealer yesterday for an update but they had none but did say they had 3 more complaints about the squeaking seat.

·
Registered
626 Posts
My 2012 Charger SE has an issue where the driver’s seat squeaks. I have found the issue is in the active headrest and when you sit in the car and push back on the seat it squeaks high in the seat and I was able to do it by holding the headrest and moving it. The dealer can not fix it because they are not sure what to do but after I showed them what was going on we found every Charger SE on the lot does it. Has anyone else seen this; I can get rid of the squeak by removing the headrest but that is not an option. The dealer did submit a star engineering request what ever that is to solve the issue but the squeak is about to drive me nuts.

It has been 2 weeks since they submitted the engineering request and I asked the dealer yesterday for an update but they had none but did say they had 3 more complaints about the squeaking seat.
Search function is your friend!!!
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146413

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yes it is I did try searching but I never saw this come up there is a lot of good info in that post thanks for the help.
Welcome to the club :)
Dodge should do some sort of a recall on those stupid seats.
I posted in the thread above. WD40 fixed the squeak but I can't do anything about the creaking. Ziptie recommendation did not work for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the club :)
Dodge should do some sort of a recall on those stupid seats.
I posted in the thread above. WD40 fixed the squeak but I can't do anything about the creaking. Ziptie recommendation did not work for me.
Reading yours and other post it seems like there a lot of different issues with the active headrest. I was able to fix mine by spraying penetrating oil on the post inside the seat where to 2 post slide together. on the metal plate inside the seat there are 2 post I could follow the post up inside the seat then make the seat squeak and I could feel it in the metal. Silly issues like this make me feel like Al Bundy and make me want to start cussing the car.

I no longer have the noise but I am still going to fill out the customer assistance form because there is no reason I should have to take my car apart to fix it my self when it is 2 months old and it looks like this has been going on since 2011 model year. I have had 4 Dodge's now and the dealer is always the weak link even when I had one I should have claimed as a lemon.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Reading yours and other post it seems like there a lot of different issues with the active headrest. I was able to fix mine by spraying penetrating oil on the post inside the seat where to 2 post slide together. on the metal plate inside the seat there are 2 post I could follow the post up inside the seat then make the seat squeak and I could feel it in the metal. Silly issues like this make me feel like Al Bundy and make me want to start cussing the car.

I no longer have the noise but I am still going to fill out the customer assistance form because there is no reason I should have to take my car apart to fix it my self when it is 2 months old and it looks like this has been going on since 2011 model year. I have had 4 Dodge's now and the dealer is always the weak link even when I had one I should have claimed as a lemon.
You should fill out the customer assistance form.
Good luck with that though. I did the same. Chrysler replied and tried to help.
They called the dealer and scheduled an appointment for me. They even paid for the rental car (1 week).

Problem is, a lot of service advisors are idiots...some techs are too.
You tell them one thing and they completely ignore it or do not relay the problem properly. My car was with them for a week and those morons replaced the seat track which has absolutely nothing to do with the seat back. So that is when I just gave up and took the back off and sprayed it.

Feel free to reference my case when you write to them.
Reference Number: 21378364

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I just submitted the form to Dodge for the seat issue so I will see I guess when I get a reference number I will post it back here. Everyone needs to be complaining about these seats there is no reason for something this simple to be going on.

I got my number just after I posted this.
REFERENCE NUMBER: 22114731

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got a call from Chrysler today I kind of got the feeling they did not care and told me to call back when I got the seat to squeak again since I fixed the seat myself. They also said they did not consider other cases because they take each case by and individual basics because each issue is different. It seems to be the issues is the same in every case the seats are crap.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well I got a call from Chrysler today I kind of got the feeling they did not care and told me to call back when I got the seat to squeak again since I fixed the seat myself. They also said they did not consider other cases because they take each case by and individual basics because each issue is different. It seems to be the issues is the same in every case the seats are crap.
Did you tell them that you had to take the seat back off yourself and spray the joints with oil because the dealer does not know what to do?

I am guessing that you oiled the inside of the seat?
Even though it may not squeak anymore does it still creak?
Mine creaks...sounds like an old wooden floor. Oiling doesn't help the creaking.

You should call Chrysler back and tell them that it squeaks again and see what they say.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did tell them I had to take the seat apart myself to fix it and I also told them I was not happy having to do this on a car with at the time had 3000 miles on it after 2 trips to the dealer to get it fixed. The seat no longer squeaks but I am sure it will return when the oil dries up.

My seat sounded like a worn out but being used by a hooker but it is quite now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts