Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2008 dodge charger R/T with 95,000 miles on it i bought the car about 2 weeks ago and i knew since it was closer to 1000 something had to be changed , i replaced spark plugs , flushed coolant and simple stuff like that

on cold start it makes a quiet squeak not a loud one u can hear from 50 feet away , its really quiet but enough that i noticed it , i went ahead and replaced the serpentine belt , idler pully , and tensioner , but it still does it. anyone have any idea what it it could be

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Remove the belt, see what is squeeking. Tensioner? Idler? Alternator? Waterpump? Doubt its the AC compressor
All should turn smoothly with no uneven resistance or rough spots.
My bet would be the idler pully or water pump.

Reactions: GDuBB

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same here man I replaced the ider pulley and belt and still making that squeak but only on cold start ups ( mornings and when I start it up after work 8-10 hours later )

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remove the belt, see what is squeeking. Tensioner? Idler? Alternator? Waterpump? Doubt its the AC compressor
All should turn smoothly with no uneven resistance or rough spots.
My bet would be the idler pully or water pump.
i already replaced the idler pully , i was watching a chrisfix video on how to check whats making the noise and he sad something along the lines of trying to move the pully see if it budges , if it does meaning the bearings are worn out , i tried it on every pully with no movement except the water pump one im guessing its the water pump bearing going back

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same here man I replaced the ider pulley and belt and still making that squeak but only on cold start ups ( mornings and when I start it up after work 8-10 hours later )
did u ever figure out whats wrong , im new to this forum and i have a video i dont know how to upload it but its the video i showed the mechanic, it never does it when i take it to him as its warm , im thinkin its the water pump bearings starting to go bad

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
DG:
A simple test you can do. Remove the serp belt,and run engine just long enough to see if your chirp goes away. If so, you are in for a new WP. If there is no leak, you can run it a bit longer, but know that it could begin to leak at any moment, and leave you stranded. If the WP is on it's way out, I would replace it.

Dion

Reactions: 100thRT510

·
Registered
8 Posts
did u ever figure out whats wrong , im new to this forum and i have a video i dont know how to upload it but its the video i showed the mechanic, it never does it when i take it to him as its warm , im thinkin its the water pump bearings starting to go bad
I think it’s the water pump, I replaced belt and idler pulley and still does the screech, the mechanic at my job said he thinks it’s the water pump, the anti freeze was way below the line where it should be. I used a hose to listen to the water pump and that’s where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I been searching all the Charger forums I can find and now that I crossed out other parts off the water pump is my primary suspect, the anti freeze was below the line where it should be so I’m 80% sure it is the pump. I think it’s on it’s way out but i think I’m gonna just wait to it finally gives out to replace it

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I’m gonna just wait to it finally gives out to replace it
There's a weep hole on the underside of the water pump. This will typically leak out coolant when the water pump bearing seal goes bad. But watch your engine temp closely. If the impeller fails the bearing seal may not leak and your only clue will be engine overheating.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Thinking back, I did have an intermittent "squeal" on cold starts before a complete water pump failure at about 22k miles. When it let go, the bearing seized and coolant gushed out. The pumps aren't that expensive or hard to change so I'd check that asap.

Best,

·
Registered
8 Posts
UPDATE
thank you guys so much for the replies , it turned out to be the water bumper and i replaced it with a brand new one but it was after market not a mopar one , it was brand new with lifetime warranty i dont know if thats good or not , but the squeal is gone
That’s wasup bro, glad you got it fixed, I should just replace it too, which brand did you use?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts