Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

This weekend I decided to install my spyder head lamps. Bought them a month ago from protuninglab.com. Front bumper came off easy enough, as did the factory hid head lamps.

This is where it gets dicey. No directions come with the lamps, but the youtube video from Spyder seems like it covered most everything. So I realize that I have to swap the turn signal, and parking lamp bulb. Easy enough. But then I realized that there is no hid lo beam installed. Also have to swap over the stock resistor block. So I take out my Orsam hid bulb, breaking the clip in the process. Removed the harness from bulb to resistor block. The block has 2 connectors on it. One from the bulb, and one that is part of the harness internal to the stock headlamp.

The connector in the spyder lamp will not fit the stock hid bulb. Also, there is no second connector for the stock resistor block. I stopped here, as I didn't want to blow up anything.

I think one of 2 things happened. The part number on the box is correct for a car with factory hid's. The lamps may be the correct housing with wiring for a car without factory hid's.
Maybe I need to buy new hid lo beams that fit the connector, and just use the resistor block to seal the headlamp without connecting anything to it. Of course support is only available M-F......so I ask the forums.....anyone done this install with success?

My car sits apart in the garage while I wait for Monday to contact them.....2011 R/Tmax.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey everyone,

This weekend I decided to install my spyder head lamps. Bought them a month ago from protuninglab.com. Front bumper came off easy enough, as did the factory hid head lamps.

This is where it gets dicey. No directions come with the lamps, but the youtube video from Spyder seems like it covered most everything. So I realize that I have to swap the turn signal, and parking lamp bulb. Easy enough. But then I realized that there is no hid lo beam installed. Also have to swap over the stock resistor block. So I take out my Orsam hid bulb, breaking the clip in the process. Removed the harness from bulb to resistor block. The block has 2 connectors on it. One from the bulb, and one that is part of the harness internal to the stock headlamp.

The connector in the spyder lamp will not fit the stock hid bulb. Also, there is no second connector for the stock resistor block. I stopped here, as I didn't want to blow up anything.

I think one of 2 things happened. The part number on the box is correct for a car with factory hid's. The lamps may be the correct housing with wiring for a car without factory hid's.
Maybe I need to buy new hid lo beams that fit the connector, and just use the resistor block to seal the headlamp without connecting anything to it. Of course support is only available M-F......so I ask the forums.....anyone done this install with success?

My car sits apart in the garage while I wait for Monday to contact them.....2011 R/Tmax.
Update:

First off, the support from Spyder was "none" after it took them 3 days to answer the phone. Protuning labs, said they were looking into it, and they decided to stop answering the phone due to "hi call volume". Never answered multiple emails. Honestly, the worst customer service, besides Sprint. Anyway, I hope what I found helps should anyone have to have these. My car is factory HID, and I think this is the less selling options for spyder, because they told me to send them back, as this is correct. They never have any issues with the halogens....

Correct meaning: in my first pic, where you see a connector that is next to my lo beam bulb, they expect that connector to reach the ballast that you swap over from the oem light. It's like a 4" tail at best, and needs about 8" to get where it needs to go. Also have to swap over the harness from bulb to ballast from oem. Not very easy to run harness in a headlamp that's assembled.

Anyway, I cut the connector off, and made extension harness`s and swapped over the needed parts. Directions would have saved 5 days of trying to get an answer. Once they couldn't help me over the phone, I had enough and decided to make them work or blow em up to send them back, smoked in the box. Plug and play is not a good sales tag for these guys.
I will say they look pretty good and are growing on me. Just a little support would have made these a no brainer. Maybe I expect to much lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
I bought spyder tails for my F150 twice now. The first set had a block of LEDs go out on the tails, and the second set was so poorly put together that when installed it stuck out an inch from the side of the car (I don't know how it passed quality control)

I am now waiting on set 3.

Stay tuned.

Long story short, they don't even do simple things like LED tails well-- can't imagine how they do headlights.

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought spyder tails for my F150 twice now. The first set had a block of LEDs go out on the tails, and the second set was so poorly put together that when installed it stuck out an inch from the side of the car (I don't know how it passed quality control)

I am now waiting on set 3.

Stay tuned.

Long story short, they don't even do simple things like LED tails well-- can't imagine how they do headlights.
Wow, that's not reassuring! Seems the quality is decent, but the other end of their business lacks for me.

Those headlamps give the Charger a Chrysler 300 look!

Interesting!
Lol, definitely wasn't going for that! To me, it looks like it has mean eyes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I literally had the same problem the other day and couldn't understand how spyder expected this setup to work. What gauge wire did you use to make your extensions ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I literally had the same problem the other day and couldn't understand how spyder expected this setup to work. What gauge wire did you use to make your extensions ?
I used #16. Solder and heat shrink tubing too. I also used a piece of mechanics wire to help fish the harnesses through the headlamp.

If you havent removed your factory oem bulb yet, be careful of the clips/retainer that hold them in. They are not sold separately! As in you have to buy a new headlamp housing. I just super glued my broken clips together in case I ever revert back to the oem ones.

Last bits of advice: before you put the headlights back on car, make sure the harnesses that you added don't show when looking at the headlamps. On top is ok, because the closed hood hides them.

You will have to take out the air filter box to adjust the drivers side lo beam. Not sure if it's the same for a V6, but I have the Hemi.

The Led tubes also make a whine type noise when first turned on, but then fade away as they warm up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I also have the hemi (2011 RT). I managed to get my D3S bulb's clip/retainer back in after snapping one end of it and just put my OEM headlights back in until i figured this out. The only other thing that concerned me about these lights which i figured id learn soon enough is the condensation. I saw used sets on ebay being resold because of it as well as a warning flyer in the box mine came in....i went over all the seals with clear silicone, hopefully that helps.

I think im just going to buy new D3S bulbs (6000k), so i can leave my OEM ones intact, and new H1 bulbs (Philips Diamond Vision). How are the high beams on these for you ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice, I also have the hemi (2011 RT). I managed to get my D3S bulb's clip/retainer back in after snapping one end of it and just put my OEM headlights back in until i figured this out. The only other thing that concerned me about these lights which i figured id learn soon enough is the condensation. I saw used sets on ebay being resold because of it as well as a warning flyer in the box mine came in....i went over all the seals with clear silicone, hopefully that helps.

I think im just going to buy new D3S bulbs (6000k), so i can leave my OEM ones intact, and new H1 bulbs (Philips Diamond Vision). How are the high beams on these for you ?
I saw that flyer in the box while I was looking for actual instructions regarding the harness. No condensation for me yet. It also has been pretty cold here in CT for quite awhile. Hopefully it stays that way! Make sure the ballast seals correctly when swapping it over. Lots of play there......

They say that clip will come out and not break if you go slow.....side to side and straight up. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
This look is awesome....and if u see you on the streets of CT I will give you a flash of the highs to say hello

-- sent from my HTC DNA --

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm curious how this would look complemented by white LED turn signals... temptation for me to try it. ;) Only concern is 5K vs 6K color match, how it would look with the reflector housing, but mainly the effect from the amber reflector on the side right there...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I finally got mine installed with 6000k D3S, they match well color wise imo. During the day though the amber turn signal is a little weak with illumination but looks good. Waiting to see how they do on a humid day

·
Registered
916 Posts
Right on! I lost touch with the OP but I love the fact that I get to see what these look like on literally the exact same front end I have. So you put HID's in at the same time, I assume?

Since I started thinking about his all I've been able to see are the new Audi's with their new tube designs and it makes me want it more. I'm debating this vs the Halos though, tough choice but UA1002 these look great, very well done!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Tbh I'm getting overwhelmed by seemingly every vehicle now having some kind of LED lash or halo. I love the look of these lights but personally don't feel it is a very unique look anymore.

-Mitch
2014 SXT Plus AWD w/ Sport Appearance Package

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks. These are the stock HID versions all I added were Philips D3S bulbs in 6000k, as mentioned earlier though you have to modify the ballast connections since they are not long enough. If you have the halogen setup the install will be much easier, as well as adding an HID kit

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yeah this is why I kinda want to avoid HID's, all I hear is problems with the ballasts and wiring, etc. There are just too many extra parts to break that I'd rather just avoid. I'd be completely happy with some ultra white halogens with matching LED fogs.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts