Charger Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
i swapped mine. the one side took like an hour to do each wheel, then when i went to go do the other side it took about 15 minutes.

when were you planning on doing them?
i would be more then happy to lend a hand, just dont have alot of free weekends.

let me know

shawn

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
i didnt need a spring compressor for the rear, i also swapped out complete cartridges for the front.

so if you arent swapping entire "take offs" for the front then you will need a spring compressor to swap your springs to the new shocks or vice versa (i am not totally clear on whats going on).

its actually a fairly easy process, atleat it was for me, but i always like suspension work.

during the week is hard for me, monday & tuesday nights i usually work my Autozone gig, and a weekend here and there as well. i have to finish my bathroom remodel project tomorrow, and work at Autozone on Sunday, but I could help you next Sunday if you can wait that long.

It would be a little bit hard for me to do during the week because I work til 4pm at my engineering place, and it would take me atleast an hour to get to Carol Stream.

let me know I am more then willing to help out a fellow Charger dude.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
i am from Oak Lawn, about 30-35 miles southeast of you.

yes Autozone rents the spring compressor, they might have 2 kinds, the old style with the hooks, and a different type that uses some sort of paddle that is supposed to be alot better.

i will PM you my cell number, you can give me a call for your addy and directions (the Nav unit isnt always that accurate) and toe verify we are still on for next Sunday.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hey Matt... I also installed my own springs last year. Not hard at all. Like Shawn said, the first side took a little longer just figuring it out. Second side took me about 20-25 minutes at each corner. I didn't use a spring compressor. Just had a friend help me, and used a little ingenuity. Let me know if you need an extra hand.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Whenever you do do this, how about a write-up (with PLENTY of detailed pics)? Might even think about submitting it for "The Knowledge Base" over at LXForums. I'll be replacing my R/T shocks/struts/springs for SRT8 suspension soon and I'm not so mechanically inclined so I'd be interested in doing this myself too!

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Matt... I also installed my own springs last year. Not hard at all. Like Shawn said, the first side took a little longer just figuring it out. Second side took me about 20-25 minutes at each corner. I didn't use a spring compressor. Just had a friend help me, and used a little ingenuity. Let me know if you need an extra hand.
What are you doing next Sunday? We'll make a party out of it.. :D

Whenever you do do this, how about a write-up (with PLENTY of detailed pics)? Might even think about submitting it for "The Knowledge Base" over at LXForums. I'll be replacing my R/T shocks/struts/springs for SRT8 suspension soon and I'm not so mechanically inclined so I'd be interested in doing this myself too!
Me? Take lots of pictures? Yeah, right.. :biggrin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts