Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
over the past 4 weeks I have been trying to resolve this issue with endless research. Here is what I've done so far

replaced PCM
replaced camshaft position sensor
replaced crankshaft position sensor
conducted a block test to detect faulty headgaskets (passed)
checked all fuses and relays

now the stalling is back again. I also have codes for o2 sensors and got a recent code of P1128 and P1129 (but I know where that came from and it came after the stalling when I ill-advised jumped the asd relay. I did the jump with the old pcm. It didnt work and I got codes so I put the asd back in and then a couple days later installed a new pcm.) I dont have the money to keep troubleshooting I wish somebody knew a sure fix. The stealership knows nothing. Thanks to those who have offered advice on this forum but so far nothing has worked

I have uploaded a video on youtube at about 1:23 you can see for yourself the stalling issue im having.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY8--q8aGSw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY8--q8aGSw

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
If our cars had an MAF sensor, I'd blame that... but they don't. Possible IAT sensor sending the wrong temp causing a wrong fuel mixture? I'm reaching but it's another idea to consider. What about something as simple as cleaning the throttle body. Coke build up of carbon on the throttle body blade or bore can cause idle issues.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If our cars had an MAF sensor, I'd blame that... but they don't. Possible IAT sensor sending the wrong temp causing a wrong fuel mixture? I'm reaching but it's another idea to consider. What about something as simple as cleaning the throttle body. Coke build up of carbon on the throttle body blade or bore can cause idle issues.
Thanks for the input Stevens12. I cleaned the throttle body a couple of days ago. to no avail. I checked EGR and MAP connections. I'lll check the IAT tmw. I cant figure out why it starts then sputters then dies and sometimes it starts and drives fine. Huge headache. I have two chargers a 3.5 and a 5.7. my 3.5 never gave me this many problems. its almost like its starving for air or fuel. I can hear the K&N suck in air every time the RPMs fluctuate. I check the fuel pump too and that checked out good

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I was also going to recommend a good tb cleaning.
if u are getting o2 codes then change whichever u are getting. Mine was on the way out and really showed its arse in colder weather.
i have also experienced that my rt is really sensitive to fuel types.
try a different gas station than normal, my rt prefers Shell, Chevron, and Marathon.
make sure you are using 89 octane
what gas station do u use?
mine stutters with BP

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was also going to recommend a good tb cleaning.
if u are getting o2 codes then change whichever u are getting. Mine was on the way out and really showed its arse in colder weather.
i have also experienced that my rt is really sensitive to fuel types.
try a different gas station than normal, my rt prefers Shell, Chevron, and Marathon.
make sure you are using 89 octane
what gas station do u use?
mine stutters with BP
I use either Shell or Exxon and I always us premium 93 (or sumptin). I m stomped on what the cause is. Im going to check the MAP, IAT and reclean TB. If all fails Im going to find the nearest landfill and leave it there!

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
If you are not tuned, drop down to 89 octane.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I use either Shell or Exxon and I always us premium 93 (or sumptin). I m stomped on what the cause is. Im going to check the MAP, IAT and reclean TB. If all fails Im going to find the nearest landfill and leave it there!
First I want to say you did a good job on your video.Can you erase your codes,then come back with what codes show up?How many miles on the plugs? Did this happen after the cold weather showed up? If yes it could be the ECT sensor.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
I just went back and re-read all of the threads/posts you made about this and the related problems. Have you replaced the O2 sensors yet? If I got the chronology right, you did the ASD jumper (which may have damaged the PCM), then replaced the PCM but still have questionable O2 sensors. Similar issues reported over on LXForums had lots of recommendations to also carefully check the O2 sensor connectors to make sure they're secure and that the pins in the connectors aren't bent.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Also, depending on mileage a new fuel filter wouldn't hurt. A clogged or dirty fuel filter could cause poor performance issues. Just another idea to throw at you. I know you checked the fuel pump, but on the newer cars, fuel filter is fairly critical too.

Edit:
Reported on the other thread, a bad map sensor fixed the other guys bad idle issues. Maybe this is your issue?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First I want to say you did a good job on your video.Can you erase your codes,then come back with what codes show up?How many miles on the plugs? Did this happen after the cold weather showed up? If yes it could be the ECT sensor.
it started happening when the ignition switch and actuator pin was changed but at that time it would just simply shut off. Since I changed the PCM it now gives me warnings (sputting, shaking and reving) before it shuts off. I'll look into the ECT. This morning it started (always start) and sputtered so bad until it warmed up. It was 5 degrees this morning. I went to the gas station and put in 89 came back and it ran fine but I know it will stall later

·
Registered
369 Posts
I would swap O2s first, then check fuel filter, then sparkplugs and injectors.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just went back and re-read all of the threads/posts you made about this and the related problems. Have you replaced the O2 sensors yet? If I got the chronology right, you did the ASD jumper (which may have damaged the PCM), then replaced the PCM but still have questionable O2 sensors. Similar issues reported over on LXForums had lots of recommendations to also carefully check the O2 sensor connectors to make sure they're secure and that the pins in the connectors aren't bent.
you are correct. I did the asd jump prior to changing the pcm. the new pcm is still giving me o2 codes and a occassional p0300 p1128 and p1129 (when I erase those codes they come back but not all the time). THe next on my list is to change the o2 sensors but questions can the o2 sensors cause what I described in my video?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would swap O2s first, then check fuel filter, then sparkplugs and injectors.

That sounds like the best plan of action. I intend to do that. Ill be driving my 3.5 until I can figure this out. my 5.7 is such a nice car. sad that its not performing

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also, depending on mileage a new fuel filter wouldn't hurt. A clogged or dirty fuel filter could cause poor performance issues. Just another idea to throw at you. I know you checked the fuel pump, but on the newer cars, fuel filter is fairly critical too.

Edit:
Reported on the other thread, a bad map sensor fixed the other guys bad idle issues. Maybe this is your issue?
Im thinking it has to be that or one of those sensors because I damn near done everything else. I will keep yall updated

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im going to check for vacuum leaks and change the map sensor while I wait on the 02 sensors to come in.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
It may be a combination of two or mpre things, bad o2 sensors will add to the shaking, bad gas(or too high an octane) plus o2 sensors going out could stall it out.
Hope 89 helps your shaking or stalling a bit better, but if you have constantly filled with premiums, then u may have bad carbon build up all along your system.
Hoping for the best bro, let us know what you can!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It may be a combination of two or mpre things, bad o2 sensors will add to the shaking, bad gas(or too high an octane) plus o2 sensors going out could stall it out.
Hope 89 helps your shaking or stalling a bit better, but if you have constantly filled with premiums, then u may have bad carbon build up all along your system.
Hoping for the best bro, let us know what you can!
changed map sensor still to no avail. checking other things now

1 - 20 of 25 Posts