Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I know lately there has been 100 topics it seems about autostick and ive been trying to hold off to make a post to see if I gain the info Ive been seeking from the others but so far I havent so here it goes.

In normal city driving using autostick, when do you shift if your not at WOT. Like you leave a red light in first, but cant open it up because there is another red light 100 ft ahead, what speed do you shift to second? Ive just been guessing and shifting when the engine sounds like its "winding" but ive got a feeling im gonna mess up the tranny without knowing when to properly shift,

Basically if im starting out in first, whats a safe speed I can actually RIDE first gear, until second? safe gear to ride second until 3rd, etc?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
No worries, the tranny will shift itself if impending disaster is about to happen.
Auto stick it anyway you want to. As you said, traffic is the issue from being able to take it up to redline.

I just shift when I feel it's time to. Normally, I shift around the 4500 range all gears, although, shifting at 4500 in 4th, your doing over any posted speed limit. 3500 is a nice range for city driving.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I would say around 3,000 or 3,500 rpm. For city use :smoke:
Thats when I switch gears feels smooth shift for me.
An say youre at a constant speed like 45 or 50 you dont want to leave it in 2nd :confused: drop into 3rd or even 4th then when you want to gain speed drop it down into a lower gear an go

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

yea thats more toward what im leaning at finding out

At constant speeds what would you ride 1st in, 2nd, 3rd, etc....not just shifting through them, but actually riding that gear

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ x2 I say I'm always between 3rd & 4th cuzing arond the city..:smoke:

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
But i woudlnt want to ride second gear at 3500 rpms around the entire city i assume right?

Why not? It won't hurt anything, and it gives you plenty of torque if you want to hammer it when the light turns yellow. But in reality, driving around in second gear all day would be annoying.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It would also kill your MPG, but it is fun..so do it

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
when im in the city going light to light. i use first gear to get to optimal speed off the line. then shift up consistently holding the same speed as in steadily increase throttle but at the same time wind my rpm's down. i will keep it in the highest gear possible and coast once i hit the speed limit or slightly over.

ive noticed i cant hit 5th gear without being at or very close to 35 mph.
the higher the gear you coast in, or drive in for that matter, the less work your engine does, thus the more gas you save. you dont get mds, but light to light it often wont kick anyway, so holding high gears = better gas. and at the same time, coming out of a red light from first gear lets you crank it if u wanna get up fast and get over or what not

its not like its hard to go from 4th or 5th gear down to second in the city and blow some doors off every couple of lights

1 - 11 of 11 Posts