Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2016 Dodge Charger SRT. Everything is working fine but noticed that speedometer was reading 5 speeds lower then what I was actually going. The digital speedometer is working correctly. Took it back to the dealer (still under warranty) and they're saying that it's reading in kilometers...which doesn't make sense because kilometers would be reading higher. Also, had the car for 2 days and now going on 4 days since I've seen it. Dealer only said that it was reading in kilometers and that was it. Question is...can I fix this on my own if the dealer can't and how? Or just any advice.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Just bought a 2016 Dodge Charger SRT. Everything is working fine but noticed that speedometer was reading 5 speeds lower then what I was actually going. The digital speedometer is working correctly. Took it back to the dealer (still under warranty) and they're saying that it's reading in kilometers...which doesn't make sense because kilometers would be reading higher. Also, had the car for 2 days and now going on 4 days since I've seen it. Dealer only said that it was reading in kilometers and that was it. Question is...can I fix this on my own if the dealer can't and how? Or just any advice.

Thank you!
Hi Tastykake92, I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble resolving this concern. Please know that our team would be more than happy to provide assistance. Please follow up with me via DM at your earliest convenience so we can have this looked into further for you.
Rob
DodgeCares

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you verified the correct speed with a GPS Nav unit; like Waze, Google? Is the tire size correct? What doea the dash say; MPH or KPH?
Yes I did. The digital was set to KPH but we changed it to MPH and it did match up with the speed on Waze and Google. But the the needle on the normal speedometer was showing as slower then what we were going and it says MPH.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
You don't say if you are 5mph off at all speeds or if it ramps up to a 5 mph difference at just a certain speed like 70 mph

Verify your tire size. The previous owner might have installed aftermarket wheels or new tires that are out of OEM spec and that size difference can affect speedometer vs actual speed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for your help and recommendations. Finally got my car back but they didn't fix it. Had it less then 38 hours and noticed the problem. Took it in to the dealer and they had it for 4 days and couldn't fix it. Mind you they never told me they were going to keep it that long. They never communicated with me that they were going to keep it for that long and the whole time they had it I never got an update on what was happening. I finally went in to ask what was going on yesterday. A women at the front desk of the service department told me that there was something wrong with the warranty. That it's a Canadian car and that it doesn't have warranty. I was so confused. At the same time the manager who was to suppose to keep me updated was there and saw me. I, of course, ripped him a new one and he STILL couldn't give me answers. Just kept repeating "I dont know". To end the story I demanded my car back. He came back with my car and he then goes to tell me what all of you have been telling me. Says that he will talk to the service department and he will call me when I can bring my car back to get the tires checked and all that, but I truly doubt he will call back.

Again thank you everyone. You guys solved it before Dodge could and I'm still surprised with the lady telling me some bull crap story about it not having warranty. (It does btw)

Tastykake!

·
Registered
61 Posts

Thank you!
Check tire fitment. If the previous owner altered the o.e. size +1 or more that would do exactly that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts