Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody get any speeding tickets with their Charger yet?
I don't have the car yet, but I want to find out how long it takes to get a ticket :whistle:

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Just don`t get caught, thats my "secret"!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, one would think since it's a sedan, you might get a little benefit of the doubt. In 6 years of driving my Mustang, I got two tickets, one was 82 in a 55 (definitely deserved that one) but one was 78 in a 65, which was a joke

With the Charger, I think I can pretty safely drive 78 in a 65 and not get pulled over (though it always depends on what kind of day the cop's having, monthly quotas, etc.) I think that as long as you're not way over the limit, the Charger is going to blend in with all of the other sedans on the road going that fast.

Of course, this does not constitute advice, nor a recommendation to drive above the limit... That'd be, like, illegal and stuff. ;)

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think in most policemen's minds, 13 over posted would be considered "way over". Many will give you up to 5 over without blinking, 5 to 10 over and you'll get looked at twice. If they've had a bad day, so will you. But most will pounce on anything 10 and over.

Luckily, here in Colorado, we have rural interstates which are set at 75, therefore 80 or a little more is easily doable without much harassment.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Almost. I think I'll be investing in a detector.
I actually caught a cop grinning and pointing out the car to his partner while I was in a drive thru.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You don't need a Charger or Mustang to get a ticket: I got 3 in 4 days driving a 1970 Plymouth Satellite company car. The State of Texas "invited" me to come down and discuss my driving habits, but I declined. With one more rolling violation in, I forget the length of time, I would lose my DL and either have to hire a driver or lose my job as a Boiler and Machinery inspector. I sometimes drove up to 1800 miles in one week. There is something psychological about speeding; in the '97 Concorde I traded in, I felt I "had" to drive about 78 while I am content to drive my SE at about 73.

·
Registered
77 Posts
wow this is like the third time someone has posted about this... (i am writing this response sitting in my patrol car watching traffic go by) i dont know why people think that we ticket based on the type of car u drive as apposed to your driving behavior. think about it this way if 25 cars are going 55 and 1 acr is doing 68 who do u think we are going to look at? not the 25 cars doing 55......... as a general rule 10 over is safe anything more than that and u r pushing it. like they say give them an inch and they take a mile. hmmmm there goes a volvo wagon doing 18 over...... yep im going to stroke him, not cuz he is driving a volvo but cuz he is doing 18 over. just dont draw attention to yourself and u will be chill. remember cops are motor heads too

·
Registered
113 Posts
Moparitis said:
You don't need a Charger or Mustang to get a ticket: I got 3 in 4 days driving a 1970 Plymouth Satellite company car.
That's a pretty unusual company car! Is it a 318 car? At 1800 miles a week since 1970 it must have 3.2 Million miles on it by now! :biggrin:

·
Registered
604 Posts
copcharger said:
wow this is like the third time someone has posted about this... (i am writing this response sitting in my patrol car watching traffic go by) i dont know why people think that we ticket based on the type of car u drive as apposed to your driving behavior. think about it this way if 25 cars are going 55 and 1 acr is doing 68 who do u think we are going to look at? not the 25 cars doing 55......... as a general rule 10 over is safe anything more than that and u r pushing it. like they say give them an inch and they take a mile. hmmmm there goes a volvo wagon doing 18 over...... yep im going to stroke him, not cuz he is driving a volvo but cuz he is doing 18 over. just dont draw attention to yourself and u will be chill. remember cops are motor heads too
where are you? i dont want to get pulled over this morning on the way to work
i drive a black r/t with no dodge logo on the back

not that it matters, i usually keep it at 5 over anyways, im in no rush to get to work

·
Registered
15 Posts
jcmeci said:
That's a pretty unusual company car! Is it a 318 car? At 1800 miles a week since 1970 it must have 3.2 Million miles on it by now! :biggrin:
Yes it was a 318, but they traded them in at about 70K or so miles. And anyway I was at the time heading for the Houston office in Greenway Plaza to be a stupidvisor and would lose the company car benefit; so I bought it from the company, stayed in the office 30 months and went back to the field where I would regain a company car and so I sold the car to an office worker and she ran it under an 18 wheeler on the way to work one morning.
Poor Brown Plymouth; did not hurt her.

·
Registered
153 Posts
copcharger said:
i dont know why people think that we ticket based on the type of car u drive as apposed to your driving behavior. think about it this way if 25 cars are going 55 and 1 acr is doing 68 who do u think we are going to look at?
Far be it from me to question your authoritah on this issue ;) but I do think the type of car matters, at least as a tiebreaker. In the case I was doing 78 in a 65, everyone else on the road (PA Turnpike) was doing the same, except for a single granny in the slow lane who was doing less than the limit. I was second in a line of four or five cars passing that car.

Yes, I was 13 over the limit so I definitely deserved the ticket, but so did the 4 others who were with me. Why did I get rung? Because I was a 20-something driving a Mustang. You may not think that way consciously, but it's only human for the average cop to do a bit of "profiling" and to let the middle-aged guy in the Taurus go.

I agree that the average patrolman isn't going to seek out any specific type of car, but to say it doesn't enter into the equation at all seems disingenuous to me.

·
Registered
769 Posts
In reference to CopChargers statement, I will agree. I give 10 MPH over the speed limit unless in a residential and a school zone.

As for profiling for cars, I could careless about the car, I see only the violation. Now when it comes to utilizing descretion, that is dependant upon varible conditions.

The only time I do look at the car is when its related to a specific problem. A good example to the Cobb County area, but more importantly to Ernest Barrett Parkway is the "Need for Speed" ricers. When you get several hundred kids in these cars racing up and down the street, then I focus on the car and the violation. During this time, I will over look other cars.

Look at it this way, if you do the speed and get caught, then be ready to buy the ticket. If you don't want to get stopped, then obey the traffic laws.

Note to you Charger owners in Kennesaw, please don't have an accident in my area....it would break my heart to see a charger in that state while I am waiting to get one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dysentery Bob said:
Note to you Charger owners in Kennesaw, please don't have an accident in my area....it would break my heart to see a charger in that state while I am waiting to get one.
Amen to that.

I have several friends on the force in Houston and they allow say the same thing. Good info.

·
Registered
15 Posts
copcharger said:
About a year ago I had started on a 400 mile trip to CC, Tx and was driving about 85 on the tail of a Caddy. Well I got behind and while trying to catch up a Hiway Patrolman topped a little hill and got me at about 80+. He asked to see my DL and when I opened my billfold I pullled out my old 1964 NHRA Top Fuel Dl and handed it to him. He started grinning and then laughing and told me he loved drag racing and even took his Cop Car to a local strip and ran it. He was in a Monte Carlo and told me he was itching for a HEMI(R). All he did was write me a warning and said to hold it down a little.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yep, 78 in 55 nothing major. I was just out on a nice empty country road and a state trooper clocked me head on. I knew right then I was toast - got the blue lights before he even turned around. I think he was just curious about the car!
I sat back in his car and he asked "Now just what is that? Dodge? They're making Chargers again?!"
I thought the cop was going to drool all over his laptop. He was a nice guy just doing his job and I was clearly speeding. He commented how nice the car was and walked a complete circle around checking out the machine. I think I got pulled just because he was intrigued. I did tell him there was going to be a police cruiser version. He just said "wow."
He did say they would most likely reduce the ticket and it wouldn't be a big deal since I have an immaculate record. I'll probably do the PJC (Prayer for Judgement) thing and it'll just be erased as long as I don't get another ticket in a year.
"I promise your honor, I'll never do it again" (fingers crossed!) :whistle:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I do not know what road you were on but if it was 70, 58 or 64 you need to take it easy in that area. I have been nailed three times on 64 in Williamston heading to Rocky Mount and four times on 70 going to Raleigh. Every stop just got verbal warnings and the last time on 70 got a written warning. Just like everyone else I think they just want to check out the ride. ?isn’t that some kind of harassment? Just kidding I don’t care I like talking to anyone about my ride.

·
Banned
113 Posts
if you drive fast enough they can't catch you

·
Registered
22 Posts
Moparitis said:
About a year ago I had started on a 400 mile trip to CC, Tx and was driving about 85 on the tail of a Caddy. Well I got behind and while trying to catch up a Hiway Patrolman topped a little hill and got me at about 80+. He asked to see my DL and when I opened my billfold I pullled out my old 1964 NHRA Top Fuel Dl and handed it to him. He started grinning and then laughing and told me he loved drag racing and even took his Cop Car to a local strip and ran it. He was in a Monte Carlo and told me he was itching for a HEMI(R). All he did was write me a warning and said to hold it down a little.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts