Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so last night just flat out sucked :(

I got a speeding ticket.. which I earned. Going 52 in what I thought was a 40.

At the time, I didnt realize I was speeding, seemed like the few other drivers on the road were doing the same speed, so I neglected my speedometer :(.

I get to a red light and notice a cop sitting behind me... I continue another block or two and im extra cautious but im getting paranoid because he wont get off my butt.

I take a random side street because I figured if he goes straight, im safe, and he turns, i know im in trouble.. sure enough, he turns behind me and lights me up :(

Now HE says he got me going 52 in a 35. My argument is that the place he clocked me was a 40, 3-4 blocks away where he finally decided to pull me over, was a 35.. which is the speedlimit that he noted on the ticket.. can he do that?! I know its only 5mph but thats a big difference in guaging how much I was actually speeding. Not saying that 12mph over is THAT much better than 17.. but its a big enough difference for me to care.

He asks for my licence, registration, and insurance... sits in his car for 5 minutes and asks for another insurance card. I ask whats wrong with the one I supplied, and its not for the right vehicle. Yep, sure enough, I neglected to transfer my insurance from my 07 crv, to the 07 charger when I purchased it in June. :silenced:

He says he has no choice but to impound my car! :( He goes back to his car for another 5 minutes and comes back and says that he trusts that I have insurance because its such a new car, but he has to take my plate until I can furnish proof of CURRENT insurance to the DMV. So now what? Even once I get in touch with state farm, and they swap it from the old car to the new, it wont show my coverage on the charger as being valid at the time of the offense! :frown:

Also, he said I had 15 business days to get it straight with the DMV.. yet the paper work says 3 days?! :knockout:

Guess my questions are a)short of going to court to dispute the ticket, do i have any other options that would allow me to get it adjusted from speeding in a 35 (as he said) to 40 (the speed limit of the actual offense)... and b)any idea how to proceed with the insurance issue?

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
Take pictures of the signs in the area where you were cited, including where it was 40, and where it changes to 35. Dispute it in court. If he cited you for the wrong speed limit in the area, how do we know how fast you were really going? I mean, he made one mistake already right....

·
Registered
230 Posts
I sugest taking care of the insurance thing asap. If you have a good relationship with the insurance man the may be able to back date to the sale date. If not check to see if you policy is a " any vehicle you are driving " policy. Mine has that because of the rental car coverage I elected for. As far as the speed thing goes debate it all you want but 90% of those who fight it lose. Might be better off going to court and using this line " your honor, I am not here today to contest the offense I am charged with, but merely asking for the mercy of the court in prevent the points being attatched to my driving record" Most judges here run their courts on the thinking of man up and pay your fine and we wont punish you further.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I called pulled over driving my friends car, and he didn't have his insurance card in the car, and I didn't have mine on me. The cop told me that I have to go the station and show them proof with in a month, other wise I would have to pay a ticket for not having proof of insurance. SO the next day I went to the station, showed them my insurance card and they let me off.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Dude....fight all you want to.....after you pay the money. Get the car back first.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The location of the offense should be listed on the citation. As was mentioned before, take a picture of the posted sign at that location.

The number of days allowed to remedy the citation is mandated by legislation. The minimum in Texas is 10 days, I don't know about Louisiana. I'd just call the court.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My State Farm office told me directly that I was covered on any car I was driving for some time period since I had other vehicles covered with them.

My situation was buying a used car from a private party and working out of town...made it hard for me to get to the insurance office to take care of all of it.

I got pulled over for a dead inspection sticker, and the officer disputed the automatic coverage, but I didn't get a ticket. He got called away but was going to write me a fix-it ticket.

Good luck.

·
Registered
171 Posts
State Farm normally will cover a car for 30 days after purchase without the transfer... but it sounds like you have paid at least two months worth without flipping it over to the charger... You may have insurance but not on that car. You are more than likely going to get a fine for driving an uninsured vehicle. Had it been within the 30 days it would not be a problem.

I agree that if you have an understanding insurance person you can possibly get out of that one.

As for the worrying about 5MPH... I would check that one out. You said he cited 35MPH on the ticket... Did he cite you were he stopped you or where he tagged you? Check the intersection he specifies and then make sure the info jives. Me personally... I would pay the ticket. I would go to court and show any difference in speed limits and work from there. Or I would get a lawyer to do it for me.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I say you're better off paying the ticket and getting the other stuff squared away. Normally you'd have a good argument to take to court for the ticket, but with everything else, the judge will be less inclined to take your side....then if you don't win it, and it's found to be a frivilous claim, you run the chance of ever more fines w/court costs, etc. In FL that could run up to an additional $500 on top of the speeding fine.

Just my $0.02. I'd just take care of everything and slip quietly into the night.

·
Registered
928 Posts
well last ticket I got the cop lied about where he pulled me over, and where he as parked, if the ticket says he pulled you over in the 35 area well you cant do much but play the blame game, and you never win that (cops follow people into construction zones around here to double the ticket when they DO pull them over, cant say its legal or moral but they are cops right? dont they always tell the truth?"

as for the insurance thing, just see the judge, ive been in court a few times for friends tickets and NEVER seen a judge not either dismiss it outright (uppon showing a card) or give 30 days to fix it.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
here in Va, I was with a friend that got a ticket in hisavenger. same problem. mph didn't jive. he had the dealer contact factory man and unlock the black box. shows 7 days of all the senors reading plus times. he won because the cop put down that he was speeding in a 25mph zone, but he wasn't, time stamp and sensor readings indecaded that he was doing 27 in 25 zone at time of offense on ticket. I thought this was kool. The manual states there is a black box recording in the cars. Didn't know you could do this. Wouldn't hurt to check!!! m2$

·
Registered
230 Posts
Your friend lied his axx off about the " black box" thing. Only way that would have worked is if power was immediately removed from the pcm and taken to a dealer. The pcm does not hold times and dates and darn sure wouldnt have known what speed zone he was in. I have done several fatality accidents and can tell you most of the boxes record only the following information, throttle position seatbelt indication air bag sensor and sometimes, just sometimes you get up to ten seconds of data prior to impact thats it. And your friend would have had to be pretty darn special considering it took GSP ( Georgia State Patrol ) two weeks for Ford to send a rep to do a download on two seperate fatality accidents involving CVPI's here. So as I said above your friend lied or you are full of it!

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
And here endeth the sermon... ;)

(I agree BTW!)

·
Registered
174 Posts
if you got the car in june and got taged in august you are way past the 30 day grace period of insurance for car purchused.
was your insurance still current? if so talk to your ins agent
as for the ticket get alot of photos of the area with speed signs and then fight the ticket you might have been speeding but not where he says and it sounds like a ripoff.
hey maybe you will get lucky and he will miss the court date it happens.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Your friend lied his axx off about the " black box" thing. Only way that would have worked is if power was immediately removed from the pcm and taken to a dealer. The pcm does not hold times and dates and darn sure wouldnt have known what speed zone he was in. I have done several fatality accidents and can tell you most of the boxes record only the following information, throttle position seatbelt indication air bag sensor and sometimes, just sometimes you get up to ten seconds of data prior to impact thats it. And your friend would have had to be pretty darn special considering it took GSP ( Georgia State Patrol ) two weeks for Ford to send a rep to do a download on two seperate fatality accidents involving CVPI's here. So as I said above your friend lied or you are full of it!
easy Dude, I just took it on what the lawyer told him and the Insurance man(his dad) told us. I have no reason to lie, so please don't accuse me of it. Thats why I said to just check it out. Wouldn't hurt. :mad: :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts