1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'd be here all day if I had to log all the ones in this area!! lol...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wanna go faster...

I'd be here all day if I had to log all the ones in this area!! lol...
Guess I'll be settin' up some of those good old speed traps myself here in about two weeks when I trade in my 2003 Ford CVPI for a new Dodge Charger police package... (yes, it's got a HEMI.)

"Just remember kids, Don't try this at home... I am a trained professional!"

:smile:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Guess I'll be settin' up some of those good old speed traps myself here in about two weeks when I trade in my 2003 Ford CVPI for a new Dodge Charger police package... (yes, it's got a HEMI.)

"Just remember kids, Don't try this at home... I am a trained professional!"

:smile:
Speed laws suck. It's just an excuse to pull over the average citizen at most any time, because just about everybody speeds. The resources utilized for enforcement and the citizen harassment are grossly beyond the actual hazard to society. Why don't you find something else to obsess about? Go have a donut or something.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Speed laws suck. It's just an excuse to pull over the average citizen at most any time, because just about everybody speeds. The resources utilized for enforcement and the citizen harassment are grossly beyond the actual hazard to society. Why don't you find something else to obsess about? Go have a donut or something.
If you think that you are dead wrong. Speed is not a factor that decides whether or not an officer believes he should pull you over. If you are in 65mph area, and going 10-13 over...I won't think anything of it, but 15-20...you are blatantly disrespecting the laws, and are gettting ticketed. I can pull you over for anything I deem unsafe, changing lanes without turn signal, cracked windshield... anything to pull you over, just 2 find out a little bit about you. You complain about this but this is how we catch criminals...so remember what you say when an officer comes to aide you!!:silenced:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
The one they had for Orangeburg, SC is dead on. I got pulled there about three years ago. Interesting

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Funny thing is, if they would hand out tickets for bad driving habits, they wouldn't have to worry about speeders.

It's the crappy drivers out there that cause accidents, not speed.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I believe most people are just doing the job they were given. But its a small few like anything else that makes many police look bad. I have no problem with aggressive drivers being ticketed but You can watch where I live and see it is just a way to make more money.

This is the week to drive extra slow and careful here in central Fl. The day before there were approx 14 motor cycle police, 3 suvs, 1 unmarked and 3 marked cruisers working east i4 in a 1/8 mi section. ( for locals its the 1st Deltona exit on east i4 and yes it is still active today :) ) Normaly I dont have much a problem with speed traps because if your paying attention you will be ok. But the police are pulling people over on both the left and the right side of the road. We have a law that says you have to slow down and get into the other lane when someone gets pulled over or you will get a ticket. This causes more people to break hard and try to get into the center lane. IMO this causes more danger than just letting people speed ( atleast on this section of road. The other part of this that stinks is you are coming over a hill that is going to start turning slightly left. The cops with radar are on the right in the grass. This curve is also an off ramp. The speed limit is 65. A few months back Just as you got over the hill you could see the speed limit 70 sighn and most eople would already be speeding up because you coming up a hill. Well That sighn has since been move approx 1/8 mi farther back.
I am will to bet most people getting pulled over are going just over 70 since they are used to bieng able to legally drive that fast on that section of road.

I forgot to mention not long ago there were random traps set up to catch people not moving over into the other lane when a police is on the side of the road. Basically a trooper will sit on the side of the road and once someone goes by without moving to the other lane they get pulled over. Thats why many people will try hard to get into the center lane.
ok thats my rant for today :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
We all know that, on major roads, the speed limit posted is 55. But the flow of traffic, right or wrong, is about 65-70. What is most dangerous is when a car is doing 50-55 in the middle lane and people need to swerve to avoid. Please understand one thing, when I lived in Maryland, I had the utmost respect for law enforcement. Now that I live in Virginia, thats not the case. I actually had a police officer tell me that I was speeding, when I asked how fast I was going, she said " I don't know, but I had to do 45 to catch you ( in a 25 mph zone. O.k. think, if you were at a dead stop, and I was moving, don't you think you would need to go fast to catch up to me? HMMMMMMMMMM

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Funny thing is, if they would hand out tickets for bad driving habits, they wouldn't have to worry about speeders.

It's the crappy drivers out there that cause accidents, not speed.
very true. Also In Fl we have many head on crashes. Double sided gaurdrails would prevent this from happening. We also have more mutli lane intersections with no meadians than the average state. Also if people would not drive drunk.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Don't get me started on bad driving in Maryland. :lol: 75% of the drivers during rush hour do not know what the heck they are doing, do not care about anything, or are just plain stupid morons! :devil:

·
Registered
12 Posts
These "speed trap" discussions usually go the same way. "Why can't cops catch real criminals instead of harrassing speeders...etc." The truth is most officers are just regular guys (sometimes - gals) doing a job and most people we encounter are just regular folks who, through carelessness, inattention or whatever - got caught doing something stupid. Another under-reported fact is the number of warnings issued far exceeds the number of tickets handed out. Fact is, many drivers have allowed thier attitudes and smart mouths earn them a ticket when they might otherwise have gotten off with a warning. It makes no difference to my paycheck if I write tickets or warnings.

While I'm at - let me also say that speeding tickets is only a part of what we do... at least in my agency.

Also, I want to add one more thing... I'm a "CAR GUY" and that's why I look at sites like this. As soon as I have photos of my new car I look forward to posting them here.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
We all know that, on major roads, the speed limit posted is 55. But the flow of traffic, right or wrong, is about 65-70. What is most dangerous is when a car is doing 50-55 in the middle lane and people need to swerve to avoid. Please understand one thing, when I lived in Maryland, I had the utmost respect for law enforcement. Now that I live in Virginia, thats not the case. I actually had a police officer tell me that I was speeding, when I asked how fast I was going, she said " I don't know, but I had to do 45 to catch you ( in a 25 mph zone. O.k. think, if you were at a dead stop, and I was moving, don't you think you would need to go fast to catch up to me? HMMMMMMMMMM
dude thats the line they always give you, its a quick physiological hit they give you to trick you into thinking that actually you were speeding...they all say it and i know some of the officers on this board would prob admit it...

·
Registered
415 Posts
dude thats the line they always give you, its a quick physiological hit they give you to trick you into thinking that actually you were speeding...they all say it and i know some of the officers on this board would prob admit it...
So it's a 'jedi mind trick'? No, often we (I) ask if somebody knows how fast they were going to see if they're honest about it.

a majority of my time is spent on the highways doing speed enforcement. I generally don't stop cars for less than 30 over the limit (85/55). Many of the people driving those high speeds at night are intoxicated. On average I have locked up a dui driver for every shift I've worked this year (120 drunks, 115 days worked....i was off on light-duty for two months because of, shock, getting hit by a drunk). You would think the morons that are wasted behind the wheel would try to be inconspicous but 'alcohol courage' kicks in.

Yea I know, the next argument is 'well that's different'. Just wanted to address a few issues.

Can't we get a love/hate forum about all types of employment? We get so many threads about police and car salesmen. I wanna complain about defense attorneys :lol: (just kiddin', some of my friends are defense attorneys. I'm only friends with 'em 'cos they can afford to pick up the tab).

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
so are you saying you havent ever said that to a driver you pulled over? im not complaining about officers here by any means if im being an A$$ hole on the road please pull me over... im just stating from prior experience and from fellow drivers, the times we have heard that same line from a officer is numerous to say the least...

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I totally agree. There is a street next to me that is 25mph....cops are on it all day, catching those who do 27mph & 30mph (to make a point), they even have those stupid radar signs. And, there is a serial rapist in the area (Delaware), who so far has attacked 5 women....but, they rather the resources to pull drivers over who go over the speed limit a bit...how reassuring.

And the kicker?....the cops don't do 25mph on that road... If they can pull people over for "Un-Safe" speed...then shame on them, because they drive much faster than the cars they pull over.

- Mark

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you think that you are dead wrong. Speed is not a factor that decides whether or not an officer believes he should pull you over. If you are in 65mph area, and going 10-13 over...I won't think anything of it, but 15-20...you are blatantly disrespecting the laws, and are gettting ticketed. I can pull you over for anything I deem unsafe, changing lanes without turn signal, cracked windshield... anything to pull you over, just 2 find out a little bit about you. You complain about this but this is how we catch criminals...so remember what you say when an officer comes to aide you!!:silenced:
If speed is not a factor in your decision to pull a person over, what exactly is the fine line you have drawn in the sand, i.e. 14 over not a factor, 15 over "you are disrespecting the law"? Disrespecting the law is not illegal per se, like you can't legally pull someone over for just flipping you the bird. So it sure appears like you use speed as a basis together with your personal opinion that 15 over is disrespecting the law and is worthy of being pulled over. Sounds like disrespecting the law is the big sin for you, since speed isn't the issue, or is it? I'm confused.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ha Ha...under Florida, the city that I grew up (Gulf Breeze) has been split into THREE different "Gulf Breeze" categories...kinda sad for a city that is 3miles by 3miles!!! I actually wrote a paper in college about speed traps in Gulf Breeze...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts